Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Ladder Rack Installation 2013 Tacoma

Old 08-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Wllangley is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
Wllangley's Tacoma Gallery
Question Ladder Rack Installation 2013 Tacoma

Hello everybody! I just gave up the Nissan world for a Toyota Tacoma and I'm not disappointed at all. And I need some help from somebody in the "know."

Because I work with ladders I need to install a ladder rack on my pickup. I have purchased a sturdy rack for the job and now need to put it on the sides of the truck (not the rails but directly on the chassis.) My question is this: HOw do I pop open the bedliner so I can access underneath the sides? The ladder rack is bolted down to the truck and needs to have a bolt installed underneath where the bedliner covers up.

I sure would appreciate some help before I charge out and start doing things I might regret with my new baby. Thanks.

Will
Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome
Start doing some searches in tw
Have fun
Old 08-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wllangley View Post
Hello everybody! I just gave up the Nissan world for a Toyota Tacoma and I'm not disappointed at all. And I need some help from somebody in the "know."

Because I work with ladders I need to install a ladder rack on my pickup. I have purchased a sturdy rack for the job and now need to put it on the sides of the truck (not the rails but directly on the chassis.) My question is this: HOw do I pop open the bedliner so I can access underneath the sides? The ladder rack is bolted down to the truck and needs to have a bolt installed underneath where the bedliner covers up.

I sure would appreciate some help before I charge out and start doing things I might regret with my new baby. Thanks.

Will
Oh boy.

Tacoma doesn't have a standard metal bed; so there's no place to bolt a rack on. I gotta be honest, if I'd known that before buying one, I might have bought something else - like you, I was looking to put a rack on the bed. Never thought to ask, "hey, is this truck bed different from every other truck I've either owned or driven over the last thirty years?"

In my case, I was looking to tote drywall and plywood on my rack. That's not going to happen.

You still can put on a ladder rack, but it's going to have to go on the rack rails and it's not going to have the weight carrying capacity you'd get with a standard rack bolted to a standard metal bed. Which won't matter if all you're toting is ladders.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I have a Rack-it rack, it's one of the heaviest, sturdiest racks you can buy, it's bolted in four places, there are posts that come down the inside of the bed nearest the cab to the two Torx bolts that hold the bed on and two more bolted to the steel post at each rear corner (where the tali lights are), I have run 800+ lbs of lumber up there many times with no problem
Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
mikfro is on a distinguished road
mikfro's Tacoma Gallery
ac,

I just bought a 2014 access cab and have discovered the composite bed problem. I am a building contractor and would like some kind of rack for lumber. I contacted TracRac and they informed me that the TRac is the only appropriate version and would only be good for 500lbs. given the composite nature of the bed. The online version for Tacomas attaches to the rails. It sounds like your set-up delivers some weight to the bed. Is this your design or am I missing something from TracRac?