1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ladder Rack Installation 2013 Tacoma

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Wllangley, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Aug 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    Wllangley

Wllangley [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Richmond Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prerunner 4x2 4 door
    None yet
    Hello everybody! I just gave up the Nissan world for a Toyota Tacoma and I'm not disappointed at all. And I need some help from somebody in the "know."

Because I work with ladders I need to install a ladder rack on my pickup. I have purchased a sturdy rack for the job and now need to put it on the sides of the truck (not the rails but directly on the chassis.) My question is this: HOw do I pop open the bedliner so I can access underneath the sides? The ladder rack is bolted down to the truck and needs to have a bolt installed underneath where the bedliner covers up.

I sure would appreciate some help before I charge out and start doing things I might regret with my new baby. Thanks.

Will:confused::eek:

2. Aug 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    There is no bedliner , the bed is composite

3. Aug 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    Mad Man Marty

Mad Man Marty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    6speed, TRD intake, bed tie downs, weathertech rear,Tint
    Welcome
    Start doing some searches in tw
    Have fun

4. Aug 28, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oh boy.

Tacoma doesn't have a standard metal bed; so there's no place to bolt a rack on. I gotta be honest, if I'd known that before buying one, I might have bought something else - like you, I was looking to put a rack on the bed. Never thought to ask, "hey, is this truck bed different from every other truck I've either owned or driven over the last thirty years?"

In my case, I was looking to tote drywall and plywood on my rack. That's not going to happen.

You still can put on a ladder rack, but it's going to have to go on the rack rails and it's not going to have the weight carrying capacity you'd get with a standard rack bolted to a standard metal bed. Which won't matter if all you're toting is ladders.

Good luck.

5. Aug 28, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    OP, I have a Rack-it rack, it's one of the heaviest, sturdiest racks you can buy, it's bolted in four places, there are posts that come down the inside of the bed nearest the cab to the two Torx bolts that hold the bed on and two more bolted to the steel post at each rear corner (where the tali lights are), I have run 800+ lbs of lumber up there many times with no problem

6. Nov 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    mikfro

mikfro New Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 PreRunner
    ac,

I just bought a 2014 access cab and have discovered the composite bed problem. I am a building contractor and would like some kind of rack for lumber. I contacted TracRac and they informed me that the TRac is the only appropriate version and would only be good for 500lbs. given the composite nature of the bed. The online version for Tacomas attaches to the rails. It sounds like your set-up delivers some weight to the bed. Is this your design or am I missing something from TracRac?

Products Discussed in

To Top