1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noob from Long Beach, CA

Discussion in 'New Members' started by beedee, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Sep 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM
    beedee

beedee [OP] Member

Member:
    long beach, ca
    Vehicle:
    in search of a Taco
    Hi guys,

Short time lurker, even shorter time poster. I grew up here in So. Cal and have always wanted a 1st gen Tacoma. Back in 2001 I almost bought an 02 PreRunner but my ex g/f at the time beat me to it (well, her parents did), and I didn't want to have the same truck as her, so I bought an 02 Ford Danger 'Edge'. The transmission went out at 70k, thank goodness I bought the extended warranty, only cost me $200 to get it repaired. Promptly sold the Ranger after I got it back, and got into a Scion after that. blah blah blah.

I'm currently in a little Kia Rio5 (I commute 42 miles round trip a day, 5 days a week), and while it is economical, the fun factor is nowhere to be found. My plan is to get into a 1st gen Tacoma. However, I'm thinking the A.D.D. will come to an end when I get my 1st gen since it is the truck I've always wanted, well since 2001 at least.

Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm a huge LA Kings fan and play beer league hockey on Sunday nights. I also am a big beach person, often bodyboarding, long boarding and body surfing. Long walks on the beach are also something else I dig, j/k.

I've been looking at the 2WD, Automatic, Extra Cab trucks. I'm not sure if I will be better off with a 4cyl or 6cyl. Are the 4-bangers easier on the gas, or do they work harder than the 6cyl, thus negating any potential mpg advantage?

Well, I look forward to learning a bunch from these forums, and if you read this entire thing, I owe ya a beer!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. Sep 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Welcome
    My .02 cents, get the v6, the 4 cylinder isn't very fun to drive, get a 4 door (if you plan on having a kid or kids), and get a 4x4 if the budget is there (i've never, ever, heard someone say "darn, i should've gotten a pre runner instead of a 4x4).

If you get a 4 cylinder i'd get the 5 spd manual trans to gain pack some of the power you lost over the V6.

3. Sep 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM
    beedee

beedee [OP] Member

Member:
    long beach, ca
    Vehicle:
    in search of a Taco
    Thanks for the welcome, I hear ya on a few of those points. 4x4 would hardly ever be of use to me, I'm sure there miiiiight be a time when I wish I had it, but the chances would be low. Sounds like the 6cyl would be better, I do sit in traffic from Long Beach to Irvine everyday, that is one of the reasons of why I sold my Subaru WRX, it had a stiff clutch and my left leg would get tired from the first gear/second gear shuffle for the majority of my drive in and drive home from work. So a 6cyl auto seems like it would be ideal.

4. Sep 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM
    DCGirl

DCGirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I looked into 1st gen for a while. The 4cyl is easier on the mpgs but I know the 4cyl would not have cut it for me. Since your looking for a bit of fun I think you should go for the V6.

I understand the car ADD. The Tacoma has been the only vehicle I have ever loved and it's not going anywhere now that I have 4x4.

5. Sep 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to TW from the better half of the state

Get the 6, if you want the extra cab or the four door, definitely get the six

Products Discussed in

To Top