1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo vs Supercharging

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Fred Strauss, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Oct 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    Fred Strauss

Fred Strauss [OP] New Member

Member:
    Smithers , BC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    What is the pros and cons of both? Any preference , reliability , warrantee concerns?
    Would like power /balancing with fuel consumption.
    Fred

2. Oct 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    I would go supercharger since it is a bolt on kit from TRD and has everything needed rather than piece together a turbo setup. Although a proper turbo setup can produce lot of power and be reliable I would go for ease of installation.

3. Oct 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Hmmm, I can tell you the pro's and con's of posting in the correct forum section :D.

Also, try a search. I think this has been beaten to death at least once.

But to answer your question (in a general, helpful way to understand):

Supercharger (Roots Type):

Pros:
    -Generally provides more boost at low RPM, generating more low end power.
    -Generally cheaper and easier to install

Cons:
    -Less top end power and less efficiency (generally) than a turbo. While the newer roots type S/C's are comparable, typically a good turbo will win in efficiency.
    -Not many options. Engine specific.

-The 1st gen TRD S/C is very inefficient and you are limited in boost due to lack of intercooling (water/meth injectors help in this case). The 2nd gen S/C is more refined and has an intercooler for higher boost

Good for those that don't want high boost and don't want the complexities of a turbo setup. Also, generally is better for those interested in low end power. As the 5vz and 1GR are generally low end engines; the S/C pretty common. If you want a small boost to help with offroading or just a bit more power, S/C are generally the way to go.

Super Charger (Snail)
    Similar to the turbo in pro's and con's. It can be more complex than the roots chargers but offers better boost potential. However, turbo's generally boost better. However, there are some snail chargers made by Rotrex that rival turbo's in max boost while providing better low end power (no lag).

Turbo:
    Pros:
    -High boost capability for high end power.
    -Generally more efficient.
    -Many options. Not vehicle specific

Cons:
    -Turbo lag depending on size. Generally speaking, bigger the turbo, more boost, more lag...
    -Hot.
    -Generally more expensive and complex. The piping setup generally needs to be custom made (unless you are lucky enough to find a "bolt on kit"). Requires oil feed line.

Turbo's are generally more complex and harder to install. However, generally a much higher boost potential. This is something you want for a street truck/race truck. If you run 1/4 miles, a turbo is a good bet.

4. Oct 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    Fred Strauss

Fred Strauss [OP] New Member

Member:
    Smithers , BC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Thanks StAndrew and everyone else

Let me give you a bit more background.
    I spend about 20 yrs in South Africa and had numerous Toyota's exploring Southern and Central Africa with fully equipped Cruisers...about the only vehicle truly capable of those demands. Had Landcruiser trucks and SUV's. Never had any mechanical or other failures!

Been living in Canada past 12 yrs and have 2! Landcruiser Diesel VX's and one for spares. One has 4' lift and planning another 4-6 on standard .Don't know which route to go yet.
    If anyone has experience and advise , please let me know.

Products Discussed in

To Top