1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Glen Joseph, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    Glen Joseph

Glen Joseph [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Hello, new to this forum thing. Just bought a 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4. We plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time. Wondering if anyone has advice on whether or not we should purchase the extended warranty. They are saying the Platinum 84 months will cost 2899.00. Any opinion welcomed.

2. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    KaPantsKey

KaPantsKey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    SC
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-OR
    No. It's a Tacoma. These things survive nuclear warheads and EMPs.

Welcome to the forum and the family :wave:

3. Oct 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Welcome to TW!!

You will find a lot of threads about this. It's mostly a split 50/50 between people.

Personally I respond from a technician's standpoint on working on vehicles for over 20 years. My ENTIRE family, including my dad, sister, brother, and my own children ALL get the extended warranty. Why? It is a decent insurance policy. Sure, you will find plenty of people who say they got it and never used it. I can also promise you that as a tech, I have seen extended warranties be used all the time. I honor them at my shop. The ting I always say applies to a lot of different things. Do you prefer the opinion of individual car owners who have not used them, or a person who has seen them used HUNDREDS of times. I got one on my wife's Chrysler. Never used it for 2 years, then bam... The transmission went out. The price I paid for the extended warranty more than covered the cost of the repair. I came out ahead. I have had a customer in here with a Toyota Camry that blew an engine. Extended warranty covered it. Customer came out well ahead.

Like I said, it is just like an insurance policy. You have probably done like me and paid thousands and thousands of dollars in insurance coverage, but never needed it. But how many cars do you see wrecked every day that WILL be using that insurance?

4. Oct 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    Glen Joseph

Glen Joseph [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Thank you for your feedback. Greatly appreciated. Has anyone ever been able to negotiate a lower price for the Extended Warranty?

Products Discussed in

To Top