Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Getting ready to purchase a new 2014 AC TRD

Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Bodacious is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Bodacious's Tacoma Gallery
Getting ready to purchase a new 2014 AC TRD

Hi, new member to this site, looking for some guidance as far as understanding the 4x4 Taco.
This would be my first mid-sized truck. Currently have always owned full size Chevys or GMC's.
I'm mostly an on road guy but need the 4x4 for winters in Northern Michigan. Will be towing mostly small trailers (14' boat, double snowmobile) type units.
Also looking at an AC with reg. Box. Sometimes will need to throw my SkiDoo Summit in the box with tailgate down for transporting.
Just having a hard time giving up all the room of the Silverado's and F-150's for something smaller.
In hopes that after asking a few questions I will be able to make up my mind and but the 2014Taco Access Cab/TRD Sport.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Janderson is on a distinguished road
Janderson's Tacoma Gallery
Why not go with the Double cab if you are worried about giving up space? I just purchased a 2014 Double cab, long bed TRD sport and I love it. I went from an F150 supercab. Also I'm very happy that I went with the Long bed. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Get a costco membership, then go to this site, http://www.costcoauto.com/enterzipcode.aspx

You'll save at least $2000 compared to paying sticker price.
It's a deal costco and Toyota have going. I didn't know about it till I had already purchased mine, then a friend told me he saved $2000 over what I paid.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janderson View Post
Why not go with the Double cab if you are worried about giving up space? I just purchased a 2014 Double cab, long bed TRD sport and I love it. I went from an F150 supercab. Also I'm very happy that I went with the Long bed. Good luck.
Not too worried about giving up space, I have no real need for the extra passenger room. Access cab wil carry my gear bags with no problems. The overall feel of driving a smaller truck was my concern. I'm sure it will take some time to adjust to.
Thanks for your comments!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Trail Cat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrail Cat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrail Cat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrail Cat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrail Cat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrail Cat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrail Cat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrail Cat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrail Cat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrail Cat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrail Cat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trail Cat's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW
I got a 2013 AC TRD Sport, I just love it. I didn't need the DC extra space which is very popular on TW. Like I said the AC is sporty and just perfect for me.
The only real thing I wish I could of got on the Sport that is not offered was the RR Locker
Old 10-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

Well got the Toyota wind blow out of my sails over the last couple of days.
Decided that I'm ready to buy a new 2014 AC 4x4 TRD Sport. None available within a three state radius, even gave three color choices. No 2013's left either. Tried 4 different Yoda Dealerships. Then by accident I found a thread talking about frames rusting out. Sounds like the Gen 2 Taco frame is most likely still a problem. I live in an area where snow/ salt is coating the roads for up to 5 months each year.
This is starting to sound like a not so good idea. Bumbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Herbaltaco is on a distinguished road
Herbaltaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm ready to purchase a new TRD Sport. I'm leaning towards a double cab because that is the only one that comes with navigation. I also like the idea of having the extra space in back vs. less space with the access cab.

What I can't get over though is how small the bed is on the short cab version. The double cab long bed will be a bit too long overall for me, difficult to maneuver in tight parking lots and barely fitting in garage. I really do like the looks of the access cab more, and it comes with a 6 foot bed.

As far as color, I'm leaning towards white right now. I was thinking blue, but haven't seen the new blue they are offering and wouldn't want to decide on it without having seen it in person first. The salesman I test drove with said they are very rare right now. Also curious about the new silver, but I've always been a white car guy.

I put in my app on the Costco site. Just waiting for the salesman to call me and schedule an apt. to make a deal. Hopefully they can beat what my go to Toyota dealership said was their "best price."
Old 10-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
OK OP your Chevy and ford probably had rust issues as well and as long as you check your frame and keep it cleaned and coated rust shouldn't be an issue
Old 10-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Vermont same as MI for salt and such. Just fluid film the frame it will be fine. My 06 frame was ok after 5 yrs went I traded it. Easily tows my enclosed snowmobile trailer. For your sled in the back there on pics here on TW with guys who do that too if you want an idea for your Summit. I think one member even built a deck ....
Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
gb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
gb42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbaltaco View Post
I'm ready to purchase a new TRD Sport. I'm leaning towards a double cab because that is the only one that comes with navigation. I also like the idea of having the extra space in back vs. less space with the access cab.

What I can't get over though is how small the bed is on the short cab version. The double cab long bed will be a bit too long overall for me, difficult to maneuver in tight parking lots and barely fitting in garage. I really do like the looks of the access cab more, and it comes with a 6 foot bed.

As far as color, I'm leaning towards white right now. I was thinking blue, but haven't seen the new blue they are offering and wouldn't want to decide on it without having seen it in person first. The salesman I test drove with said they are very rare right now. Also curious about the new silver, but I've always been a white car guy.

I put in my app on the Costco site. Just waiting for the salesman to call me and schedule an apt. to make a deal. Hopefully they can beat what my go to Toyota dealership said was their "best price."
Don't buy a sport for navigation. Add that shit after market for one third of the price.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Herbaltaco is on a distinguished road
Herbaltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb42 View Post
Don't buy a sport for navigation. Add that shit after market for one third of the price.
I heard there are not really any good aftermarket nav systems available. I was told by someone I know who sells high end cars that most aftermarket nav systems are inferior to the navigation system on a smartphone. Plus phone integration is an issue with most aftermarket systems.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
tstout23 is on a distinguished road
tstout23's Tacoma Gallery
rust on a tacoma is no different than rust on any other vehicle. sounds like the op is just looking for an excuse not to get a tacoma. i was in the same boat as far as no dealers within a few states had an access cab. i lived in oklahoma and the local dealer did a trade with one in mississippi to get me the access cab 4x4 that i wanted
Old 10-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstout23 View Post
rust on a tacoma is no different than rust on any other vehicle. sounds like the op is just looking for an excuse not to get a tacoma. i was in the same boat as far as no dealers within a few states had an access cab. i lived in oklahoma and the local dealer did a trade with one in mississippi to get me the access cab 4x4 that i wanted
Think what you may, but I like to get all the info about a product before I make a major purchase. That what forums are for, to share and acquire knowledge. FWIW I spoke with two dealers again yesterday, and the equipped vehicle that I'm looking for, is not available within a 300 mile radius.

I know the 2014's are just being released, does anyone know how long it usually takes before they are hit the Yoda dealerships in numbers?
Old 10-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
Probly a couple month to fill stock. What i would do op is sit back for a bit keep reaserching till a truck in your specs arrives in a lot near you. Never have that evil monkey on your back saying what if, answer every question you have and GL woth purchase.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
Think what you may, but I like to get all the info about a product before I make a major purchase. That what forums are for, to share and acquire knowledge. FWIW I spoke with two dealers again yesterday, and the equipped vehicle that I'm looking for, is not available within a 300 mile radius.

I know the 2014's are just being released, does anyone know how long it usually takes before they are hit the Yoda dealerships in numbers?
I had to travel 800ish miles to get what I wanted, and I also saved $3-4k by doing so
Old 10-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost848 View Post
Probly a couple month to fill stock. What i would do op is sit back for a bit keep reaserching till a truck in your specs arrives in a lot near you. Never have that evil monkey on your back saying what if, answer every question you have and GL woth purchase.
Thanks, that is my plan at this point...hopefully something turns up unexpectedly soon. After asking a few questions here, I think I got a grip on what truck fits my needs. Seems as though Toyota is able to sell these trucks in a pretty quick fashion. Just think how many they might sell if they were readily available for purchase. The Big Three all have a lot full of trucks to pick from........ I haven't been able to find a TRD Access Cab Sport to even test drive yet. I'd really like to drive one before I commit to ordering one blindly.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
They dont even have a access cab with the 4.0 it will drive the same just it has a little more bells and whistles. Just a thought. Sports have a little better suspention vs the sr5 series i beleive. So if anything will be a smoother ride. My opinion
Old 10-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #18

Unfortunately only 4L's SC, and V6 DC's. With the DC having a longer wheelbase it would not be an accurate test drive.
I still have a week or so to get my other truck replaced.......I'm going to set back and see what pops.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #19
wildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
Well a v6 short bed has the same wheelbase.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #20
tstout23 is on a distinguished road
tstout23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost848 View Post
They dont even have a access cab with the 4.0...
my access cab has a 4.0 v6. i wouldnt spend the extra money on a trd. you can buy a sr5 and put a better suspension on it then the trd's come with and spend less money. if youre waiting on an access cab 4x4 to hit the lots in your area, chances are it isnt going to happen. and if it does, someone has probably already put a deposit on it. they just dont make very many of them anymore due to the popularity of the double cab. i used to work in the parts department in a toyota dealer and i didnt see but 1 access cab 4x4 other than mine come thru in 2 years