1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 2013 owner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Ganoga, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Oct 25, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    Ganoga

Ganoga [OP] New Member

Member:
    Lewisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Extended Cab RWD 2.7L
    Hello from PA, I recently bought a new 2013 Extended cab Tacoma- the 4cyl. RWD, base model. It replaced a 1989 Toyota 1/2-ton base model 4cyl. RWD (standard cab).
    Already this forum gave me a lot of information on the truck.
    The surprising thing about this 2013 is that it seems to be a reincarnation of the 1989, in a different body.
    The driving experience along with the familiarity of the controls killed the "new car" feeling in a few days- it is just like driving my old truck (except it is taking me a long time to learn to parallel park it).
    The controls are all in the same place and of the same style, (except the ignition switch has moved to the steering column).
    The shift pattern, shift points and the acceleration are all the same (except now I have that extra 5th gear I always wanted).
    It is hard to get it into reverse.
    My butt sinks way down into the seat as if it were worn out, just like the 89, but has great lower back support and is comfortable for 500+ mile rides (just like the 89).
    The doors sound tinny, and it sounds like there is something loose inside when you close them, just like the 89.
    When on the highway, the steering even feels similar, even though the 89 did not have power steering. The truck is very sensitive to the road just like my 89 and I can feel every bump or inconsistency in the road surface.
    The rear end is very light and looses traction easily on gravel, wet inclines etc.
    The MPG starts to go down at highway speeds, although a lower decrease than with my 4-speed 89. I get just under 27mpg now with a Tonneau cover installed- (a soft, light-weight, roll-up). This was measured on a 1000 mile trip at highway speeds with a load in the bed. Without the load and doing my regular speeds in my rural area I expect to see almost 28mpg. (just like my 89)

A few things were a step down from the 89- the bed has fewer attachment points (for carrying a motorcycle for example), but I am remedying that with Mopar D-rings under the bed bolts.
    The back of the truck has no attachment points under the bumper like my 89 for canoe straps, etc.
    The fit and finish seem a bit cheaper than the 89, but by a small degree.
    The turbulence when the windows were opened was unbelievable- It was impossible to ride for over 10 minutes that way. I solved this by putting on a set of vent shades, and along with the sliding rear window they smooth out the air to a comfortable degree although it is still hard to ride with the window all the way down and your arm on the door sill.

Anyway, I am very happy with the truck and hope to get as many years out of it as my 89.
    This forum has already been a great help for stuff like the D-rings and bed rail attachment.

2. Oct 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    Conman117

Conman117 AWESOME MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 Brap-coma
    Blue LED dash lights
    Welcome :)

3. Oct 27, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Welcome aboard! :wave:

4. Oct 27, 2013 at 5:20 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Welcome.

Products Discussed in

To Top