Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Newbie - 1st Time Taco Owner

Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
invisionz111 has a spectacular aura aboutinvisionz111 has a spectacular aura about

Army:
invisionz111's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie - 1st Time Taco Owner

Well I went and bought me a used 99 Tacoma SR5, V6, 4X4, Automatic.

I know very little to nothing about these Taco's other than it was expensive for a used vehicle. I know even less about 4X4's, so I am hoping to learn a thing or two about it.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
jrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aircraft Maintenance
Name: John
jrw1965's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome
Old 03-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
"The Dude"
El Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
El Duderino 480's Tacoma Gallery
good choice at the buy..how much did you pay and how many miles???
Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW. Something must have clicked in your head cause you said it was expensive for a used vehicle, but bought it anyway. Lot's of info to be had here.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!
Old 03-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
you came to the right place!!

Welcome to the forum!

POST PICS
Old 03-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
invisionz111 has a spectacular aura aboutinvisionz111 has a spectacular aura about

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino 480 View Post
good choice at the buy..how much did you pay and how many miles???
6800 and 190K

more than what I wanted to do for a used truck, but it was the only one out of about 20 that the engine did not skip or the transmission doesn't slip, so I bought it, OUCH!

However, after buying it I noticed (forgive me for not knowing the proper names and stuff) a piece of the drive shaft has slung fresh grease the undercarriage. On the rear axle there is what I think is called a universal joint and connected to it is a small pipe that goes into the larger drive shaft pipe and I think there is a grease nipple there as well. Anyways, it looks like the grease may be coming out where smaller pipe enters the larger pipe. Is this a bad thing? What is this problem called and do I need to get it fixed soon?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
wheresthericego is on a distinguished road

wheresthericego's Tacoma Gallery
If it has fresh grease then that is good. It sounds like the "driveshaft" was over greased but thats better than under greased :P
Old 03-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisionz111 View Post
Anyways, it looks like the grease may be coming out where smaller pipe enters the larger pipe. Is this a bad thing? What is this problem called and do I need to get it fixed soon?

Thanks
That sounds like the slip yoke. What you are describing sounds normal. I wouldn't worry about it.......probably overgreased like someone said.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:14 AM   #13

Army:
Quote:
6800 and 190K

more than what I wanted to do for a used truck, but it was the only one out of about 20 that the engine did not skip or the transmission doesn't slip, so I bought it, OUCH!

Thanks

NOT COOL!

So I was digging around on the site and familiarizing myself when I found the FRAME posts. I called my dealer and he said 'No it doesn't look like your vehicle is involved' and told me to call 800 number to make sure. I called the 800 number and BAM, 'your vehicle is involved' said the nice lady.

NOT COOL!

I don't know if I want to go through this ordeal of frame replacement or cash in. I have a brand new (6 months old) Camry and I know I won't get a good trade in so getting a new Tacoma is looking pretty bad. It took me forever and hundreds of miles of traveling to find the used one I have now. I would rather buy a new one but then I would have a car and truck payment.

BUMMED OUT.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #14

You need to make sure your frame is bad before you get all bummed out. Thay aren't all bad and the warranty was extended to 15 years from new.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #17
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The frame checked out and everything was good. This was a great truck for me, but now I am in a new 2010 Black Sand Pearl.
Congrats on the truck man. It beats the 1999 Taco! Post pictures!!! We all want to see the new truck. Welcome to Tacoma World!