Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Just received my 2014...but

Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
mudnboots is on a distinguished road
mudnboots's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Just received my 2014...but

I've had many Tacomas over the years and have enjoyed their reliability and great resale value. Finally it was time to get me a new one and I guess I should have paid more attention to detail before buying it but it seems the quality has gone down compared to my previous models.

Only 600 miles on it.

1. Vinyl door trim is coming loose (new ones dont' have cloth, rather cheap vinyl on the doors).
2. Small pieces of dirt or something were painted over in the clearcoat process and I have some bumps in the paint.
3. There is no outside temp gauge inside the truck. I didn't even think to look for it when I bought it because I thought something that simple would be standard.
4. Seat covering has creases in spots and in some places it looks like the foam is not formed properly under the cover.
5. They forgot to tell me about the Smog Pump that makes the unusual noise when you turn the truck off. Why do other cars not make this noise??

I noticed my truck was made in Mexico and I thought they were all made in San Antonio now. I guess not.

Now back to the dealer for some explaining to do even though I should have paid more attention when I bought it but I never expected it based upon my past experience with Tacomas.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Colt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnboots View Post
I've had many Tacomas over the years and have enjoyed their reliability and great resale value. Finally it was time to get me a new one and I guess I should have paid more attention to detail before buying it but it seems the quality has gone down compared to my previous models.

Only 600 miles on it.

1. Vinyl door trim is coming loose (new ones dont' have cloth, rather cheap vinyl on the doors).
2. Small pieces of dirt or something were painted over in the clearcoat process and I have some bumps in the paint.
3. There is no outside temp gauge inside the truck. I didn't even think to look for it when I bought it because I thought something that simple would be standard.
4. Seat covering has creases in spots and in some places it looks like the foam is not formed properly under the cover.
5. They forgot to tell me about the Smog Pump that makes the unusual noise when you turn the truck off. Why do other cars not make this noise??

I noticed my truck was made in Mexico and I thought they were all made in San Antonio now. I guess not.

Now back to the dealer for some explaining to do even though I should have paid more attention when I bought it but I never expected it based upon my past experience with Tacomas.
Where did you go to buy your truck?
Old 10-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnboots View Post

Only 600 miles on it.

I don't think items 3 & 5 are Toyotas problems but, I'd be pissed about 1, 2 & 4.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure there's no outside temp gauge?? Tacomas have had them ever since the 2nd gen came out, as far as I know. I know my 2009 has one.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
Are you sure there's no outside temp gauge?? Tacomas have had them ever since the 2nd gen came out, as far as I know. I know my 2009 has one.
i think the 2014's dont come with them or atleast thats what ive been seeing everyone complain about
Old 10-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
i think the 2014's dont come with them or atleast thats what ive been seeing everyone complain about
Yup, I was just going to edit my post to say I did a search and found that too. That's incredibly stupid on Toyota's part, especially with apparently the window stickers/package descriptions stating it has it.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
MaineBound is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeremy
MaineBound's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see an outside thermometer on mine either, which I just picked up yesterday, but the radio has a weather app. Maybe they thought that was the same thing.

I'm very happy overall with the quality of the truck. The one thing I have noticed that I don't like is a little bit of lemon peel on the paint at the bottom of the doors, where they curve under. This doesn't seem right to me and I'm going to ask the dealer about it.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
cquester5 is on a distinguished road
Navy: AMS2
cquester5's Tacoma Gallery
I think the orange peel you are speaking of is actually pebble grain vinyl applied to protect the paint from rock chips.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBound View Post
I don't see an outside thermometer on mine either, which I just picked up yesterday, but the radio has a weather app. Maybe they thought that was the same thing.

I'm very happy overall with the quality of the truck. The one thing I have noticed that I don't like is a little bit of lemon peel on the paint at the bottom of the doors, where they curve under. This doesn't seem right to me and I'm going to ask the dealer about it.
Every toyota has that since like 'Nam. It's an undercoating spray that adds a rubbery but more durable base under the paint to protect the rockers from chips. It won't go to bare steel when the paint chips.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
Mmmmm... Beer
14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MACS(SW) ret
Name: Shawn
14TACO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
I got my 14 on the 18th and on the 19th the check engine light came on. They had to replace the ECM before I even hit 250 miles.

Toyota gave me an 8 yr/100,000 mile comprehensive warranty for that trouble.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquester5 View Post
I think the orange peel you are speaking of is actually pebble grain vinyl applied to protect the paint from rock chips.
Great! I won't embarrass myself further by asking about it in person then! Edit earlier post: I am very satisfied with my Tacoma.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Always take it for a nice test drive and go through the functions before buying
Old 01-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #14

Also Ultragauge has a setting for outside ambient air temp. If there is a gauge there but Toyota didn't put a display in, the Ultragauge will be able to read it. I am going to try that setting tomorrow morning and post the result.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #15
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBound View Post
Also Ultragauge has a setting for outside ambient air temp. If there is a gauge there but Toyota didn't put a display in, the Ultragauge will be able to read it. I am going to try that setting tomorrow morning and post the result.
Curious about this since I have the SR5, but I have an ultra gauge. Never thought of that.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 AM   #17

Unfortunately Ultragauge doesn't see an outside air temp sensor on my Tacoma. You can get the temp of air at the intake, but that's not going to be the same.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
mudnboots is on a distinguished road
mudnboots's Tacoma Gallery
Update and honestly I've not had time to respond.

Door panel replaced.
Volume control button on steering wheel repaired and seems to be working fine now.
They finally agreed to give me seat covers to protect the cheap seat fabric.
Nothing I can do about the temp gauge as they come like that now. However, when you live in a micro climate area, it's not always the same temp where the weather radio temp tunes into.

Agreed, I should have paid more attention when I bought the truck but I've owned so many in the past, I just assumed, which is my mistake.

I'll keep it another year or so but probably will be my last Yota.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #19
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like knit-picking issues to me, I don't see any true problems other than #1
Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #20
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
Many, many threads on this. 2013 was the last year for the temp in the mirror and where they used to put the gauge. People get pissed because it doesn't have one but if it doesn't say so on the sticker you are SOL. You can do a thread search for yourself.

As far as the rest of your complaints, not to be blunt but you should have looked over the truck better before you bought it. Pump is a bit disconcerting the first few times you turn the truck off but you get used to it.

*EDIT* Never mind. I see you posted at post 18