Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

My first new vehicle (Longest INTRO thread)

Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #2361
Old Man
dwsyab is on a distinguished road

Name: David
dwsyab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelSpy View Post
It took 9 years for me to finally purchase MY first vehicle. MY first vehicle is a 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 long bed and I LOVE IT! I bought it in October 2011, but I just learned about this site so that explains the delay. In case any of you are wondering why "my" is being capitalized when I'm talking about MY truck, this is why; I have worked for a few years now after graduating college and this is my reward to me. It makes me feel like all my hard work has accomplished something. I remember when the 2nd generation Tacomas came out in 2005, I went and test drove one for a weekend. I loved it, but there was no way a college freshman could afford it. I was devastated at the time, but encouraged at the same time because I had a goal. 6 years later, I have it!

PS: the mod bug has bitten me and boy do I have plans for MY truck
Congratulations on reaching your goal!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #2362
Only from the waist down.
nubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reverend
nubbs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
Wow! What a friendly place. I didn't really know if anyone read the newbie introductions, so I kept it short.

Up to buying my Taco, I'd always viewed driving as a means to get from point A to point B. It wasn't something I enjoyed, and if someone else wanted to drive, I was happy to let them. Now, I find it fun to drive. It's hard to put my finger on exactly why. A couple of months ago, my Dad let me drive his new GMC Sierra. That had a certain novelty to it, but I couldn't call it "fun." I guess the Taco has a sporty feel to it -- the responsive steering, peppy acceleration. When I initially did my research I didn't think I'd care about the PreRunner's higher stance -- I didn't expect to do any off-roading. However, now that I'm driving it, I do like sitting higher and the better visibility in traffic. I'm also thinking about when/where I might have a chance to do some light off-roading :-)

Not to diminish the Taco at all, but I had to make some compromises too. The double cab is for the wife and kids. I'll be using this for my daily commute vehicle (about 10 miles each way) but we needed something the whole family could fit into for weekend errands and trips, and to take some of the load off the wife's 7 year old Honda CRV. However, I like to do some woodworking, so I'll be needing to haul wood a couple of times a year (not *much* time to woodwork) which will include some sheet goods (plywood, MDF, etc). So, the short bed will be a bit of a challenge for me. I'll start another thread on that.

I've rambled enough for now. I'll catch y'all on other threads.
First off, congrats on the new Tacoma, you're gonna love it. Don't worry about the short bed, for as little hauling of your ply as it sounds like you do, you'll be just fine. I can honestly say that I have never been unable to fit something into my bed that I wanted to. But at the same time, it also serves as a good fall back for those times when you really don't feel like helping someone else out; "Sorry, beds too small, it won't fit." As for the double cab, I find that even when I'm in the truck alone, it's nice to have the extra space. It just adds a level of comfort, knowing that you're not crammed in a tuna can. You'll probably find the double cab to be pretty versatile as well, you'd be surprised what you can fit back there. Plus it's nice to have the extra cargo space in case of rain, without the need for a shell or bed cover. Welcome.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #2363
Southern Member
tachoman is on a distinguished road

Navy: EM1, USS Lexington CVT16
Name: Frank
tachoman's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

thanks... I am new to the forum, and I can't believe there's not already a "tacoman" here... it was the first thing I could think of, for a handle (and possibly the laimest)...
Old 02-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #2364
Doc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doc
Doc35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachoman View Post
thanks... I am new to the forum, and I can't believe there's not already a "tacoman" here... it was the first thing I could think of, for a handle (and possibly the laimest)...
Actually you're "TACHoman".

Welcome from Virginia!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #2366
Southern Member
tachoman is on a distinguished road

Navy: EM1, USS Lexington CVT16
Name: Frank
tachoman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFF View Post
Actually you're "TACHoman".

Welcome from Virginia!
D'oh...
Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #2367
yamalarishauler is on a distinguished road

Name: scott
yamalarishauler's Tacoma Gallery
WELCOME SAWDUST; WITH THAT USER NAME I EXPECTED A CARPENTER NOT A COMPUTER PROGRAMER? OH WELL, GOOD CHOICE IF YOUR NOT INTO FOUR WHEELING. I ALSO HAVE A PRE-RUNNER. I DON'T 4 X 4 ANYMORE. NOW I'M OFF ROAD WITH A QUAD. IV'E HAD 4X4'S OVER THE YEARS: 42' WILLYS, A 77 CHEVY 1/2 TON SHORT BOX, A 79' CJ5, A 81 NISSAN P.U., A 87' CJ5,. MANY YEARS AND MANY STORIES BUT THAT'S FOR A DIFFERANT THREAD. CHECK MY TOY OUT ON MY HOME PAGE.
LATER DUDE, SCOTT
Old 02-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #2368
Beaver is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Beaver's Tacoma Gallery
Technically it is my second new vehicle because I bought a 2012 Ski-Doo in December. I bought a 2012 Tacoma Doublecab long box SR5 5 days ago. I've wanted a Toyota truck for many years and have finally done it. FKNA, sweet ride.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #2369
loves black taco
cool hand luke is on a distinguished road

cool hand luke's Tacoma Gallery
my new '12 Black DC TRD Sport is coming a couple weeks...

I need some advice: factory black side steps or chrome type aftermarket.

Which do you prefer? any pros/cons to either?

Oddly its hard to find GOOD pictures of both to compare. Maybe someone can post their own... the more stock truck the better since thats the way its coming from the factory.

I'm leaning toward the factory black side step since the price isn't all that bad, but need help deciding.

HELLLP
Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #2370
Old Man

dwsyab's Tacoma Gallery
Skip the cheep-o factory steps and get a functional slider that will protect your truck and can double as as step.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #2371
tacomatrix is on a distinguished road

Name: danno
tacomatrix's Tacoma Gallery
New

hello new home!
i am new to the world of Tacomas! just purchased a 2012 off-road, silver.
and it is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsyab View Post
Skip the cheep-o factory steps and get a functional slider that will protect your truck and can double as as step.
i do not have side-steps, i want to get some. have any recommendations?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #2372
loves black taco
cool hand luke is on a distinguished road

cool hand luke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsyab View Post
any recommendations?

keep in mind my truck will be stock for a while... after buying new there isn't much left for goodies.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #2373
Old Man

dwsyab's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't plan on hard core off roading the factory style should work out fine. I have never purchased from the following web site but they may be worth looking at. Congratulations on on purchasing a 2012 Taco; I'm really happy with mine!

http://www.tacomapartsstore.com/inde...oduct_id=13215
Old 02-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #2374
Old Man

dwsyab's Tacoma Gallery
Here is an option that I would like to purchase but at $1000 it is a little on the high end and not affordable (at least for me). You should be able to find something similar in the $400 to $600 range that will protect your truck for off-roading, serve as a High Lift jacking location and also serve as a step. If you go with a stock step, while cheaper it will do little to protect against side impacts nor will it allow you to lift the truck from this location. Current stock jacking locations are inconvenient at best or completely inadequate if you get a flat while offroading.

+05 Tacoma Double and Xtra Cab, Slee SliderStep

Part #: SOF1111 - $945.00
2005+ X-Cab and Double Cab Tacoma Trucks
(Does not fit Double Cab Long Bed Trucks)

The Slee-Slider for the Tacoma consist of a 2"x3" (.120 wall) rectangular tube with 4 2"x2" outrigger legs. The legs attach to a 3/16" thick L shaped frame plate that covers the side and bottom of the factory frame. The plate is form fitted to the frame and allows for mounting to existing hole locations on the frame. The side plate is secured to the frame in 5 spots using 1/2" grade 8 bolts. These bolts are mated to 2" square plates on the inside of the C frame. The front end of the slider is further secured by an angled plate mount that attaches to the factory cross-member. To further secure the slider to the frame, 4 additional holes can be drilled (per slider), and supplied countersunk bolts can be installed for a total of 10 fasteners per slider. Utilizing the counter sunk bolts and L shaped frame brackets allow for a completely flush bottom profile on the sliders.
The sliders are finished with skid-resistant powder coat finish. The pre-treatment includes baking to remove all oil, phosphate washing, sandblasting before the is applied.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/...1111-450-1.jpg
Old 02-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #2375
thegroundponder is on a distinguished road
Army: Ssg US Army, 11B, 12.5 yrs
thegroundponder's Tacoma Gallery
New guy

Hello all,

I was directed to this forum by a friend. Just got my first Taco. I am now the proud owner of a 2006 PreRunner.

Thanks,
thegroundpounder
Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #2376
tacomatrix is on a distinguished road

Name: danno
tacomatrix's Tacoma Gallery
Question

i was not sure where to post the following.
i just purchased a new tacoma 2012 off road package. (my very first truck)
i do not know a lot about trucks, slowly learning.
i have a question about the tires/axle, or whatever.
when i look at my truck head on, i notice the front tires are slightly inward at the bottom. like a V.
it's not bad, the truck drives great, but i wanted to know if this is normal or i should take it back to dealer?
thanks!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #2377
jrog850 is on a distinguished road
Army: 101st Airborne
jrog850's Tacoma Gallery
Hello Taco World!

I recently bought a brand new 2012 Tacoma Off Road; Its AWESOME!!! Has the Navi System with Entune and all that... super cool... and talked the dealer into putting in a custom sunroof (which looks awesome and its solid and warrentyed)... Anyways
Love the truck... pretty awesome forum too...
Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #2378
Honey Badger1 is on a distinguished road

Army: 12B
Name: Trip
Honey Badger1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrix View Post
i was not sure where to post the following.
i just purchased a new tacoma 2012 off road package. (my very first truck)
i do not know a lot about trucks, slowly learning.
i have a question about the tires/axle, or whatever.
when i look at my truck head on, i notice the front tires are slightly inward at the bottom. like a V.
it's not bad, the truck drives great, but i wanted to know if this is normal or i should take it back to dealer?
thanks!
The reason the tire camber is negative at the is to allow the parts to break in a wear, it shouldn't be to noticeable you well notice it more if you back in to a spot and get out and look as the tires are both angled in / \ to keep you going in a straight line, I don't know much about the off road package it could also have to due with your tow package to allow the truck to take weight and keep the tires flat on the ground. it never hurts to become friends with your dealer. I'm 22 and live in a small town so a lot of my friends already work there.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #2379
Honey Badger1 is on a distinguished road

Army: 12B
Name: Trip
Honey Badger1's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I missed this on my way in, I'm new but I've been in the 2nd gen tacoma area jjust book marked it and never went all the way to the home page. this will be my second Tacoma I'm driving I bought my first one June of 2011 and I got just the basic model after having it for.... 3 months.... and I'm a dealer rat.(not sure if thats real or i made it up) i hang out at my dealer a lot buying things to install or just oem aftermarket stuff. anyways, so Oct i desided I wanted the TRD package so I traded in the one i just bought and got a new 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport. they did have 2012 but i thought the 2011 was ugly and 2012 was just driving that point home. granted now I think the 2011 is one of the best looking trucks out there and the 2012 is slowly growing on me. I love the TRD package I got the back up cam which saves me 3 or 4 trips from the trailer hitch to the cab and no one knows its there so i back up for days and back right up to my friends cars and there like wow how did you get so close?! i wink and say mad skills dog or something gangster. also came with the subwoofer with a blue light, race seats, and as my sales man says BLUE shocks... haha which greatly improve handing over the standard truck I bought before. I like the rims but wish they werent the 17in fatty wheels due to the snow fall. all and all my TRD is my baby and my girlfriend says i love it more then her, which is true so far i've been having a great time on this forum learning a ton and the pictures the other members take of builds are awesome.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #2380
Zeus87 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jesus
Zeus87's Tacoma Gallery
So I just bought my first truck and I'm wondering if I got a good deal, it's a 06 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport, it's black and I think it has a small lift or it might just be the bigger wheels they are 18's, 90,000 miles and I paid 17,000 for it.. What do you guys think?