Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

My first new vehicle (Longest INTRO thread)

Old 09-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up My first new vehicle (Longest INTRO thread)

Just signed on and now I'm getting prompted to post here, so don't yell at me, I'm just following directions.

I'm loving my Tacoma. Had it for 10 days now. It's my first new vehicle, and my first Toyota. I've been driving used vehicles for my first **mumble** 20 **mumble** years of driving. I've never been particularly interested in working on past vehicles, but now that I've got a NEW one, I'm getting a bit of a bug to customize it to make it uniquely mine. I got a lot to learn, so be gentle with me, but I'm good about doing my homework before asking questions.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, Toyota, and congrats on your 1st new vehicle. You picked a good one.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Likewise, welcome to TacomaWorld!!

I know exactly what you mean, for the longest time in my life I always had two cars, simply because one or the other of them was broken down at any one time.

I was so happy when I bought my first Tacoma, a 2004, that I had the window sticker professionally framed, and I would have done so for my 2007 too if the damn dealer had not ripped it all to hell when they took it off. (I know I'm a dork)

These days I do mods on my truck because I feel that it's on my terms. I work on my truck because I want to, not becasue I have to.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
Route66Taco will become famous soon enoughRoute66Taco will become famous soon enough

Route66Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Right ON! Welcome!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to tw! congrats on your new truck!! you made an awesome decision, and you are gonna love your truck. just wait till the mod bug bites ya!!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
coreyredken is on a distinguished road

coreyredken's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome! Have fun with your new ride! I know I do!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! What a friendly place. I didn't really know if anyone read the newbie introductions, so I kept it short.

Up to buying my Taco, I'd always viewed driving as a means to get from point A to point B. It wasn't something I enjoyed, and if someone else wanted to drive, I was happy to let them. Now, I find it fun to drive. It's hard to put my finger on exactly why. A couple of months ago, my Dad let me drive his new GMC Sierra. That had a certain novelty to it, but I couldn't call it "fun." I guess the Taco has a sporty feel to it -- the responsive steering, peppy acceleration. When I initially did my research I didn't think I'd care about the PreRunner's higher stance -- I didn't expect to do any off-roading. However, now that I'm driving it, I do like sitting higher and the better visibility in traffic. I'm also thinking about when/where I might have a chance to do some light off-roading :-)

Not to diminish the Taco at all, but I had to make some compromises too. The double cab is for the wife and kids. I'll be using this for my daily commute vehicle (about 10 miles each way) but we needed something the whole family could fit into for weekend errands and trips, and to take some of the load off the wife's 7 year old Honda CRV. However, I like to do some woodworking, so I'll be needing to haul wood a couple of times a year (not *much* time to woodwork) which will include some sheet goods (plywood, MDF, etc). So, the short bed will be a bit of a challenge for me. I'll start another thread on that.

I've rambled enough for now. I'll catch y'all on other threads.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #8
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Welcome to TW!

Congratulations on your truck. My 007 is my first NEW vehicle as well. If you have questions we are more than happy to help. Keep your eyes open - as much as I drive in Texas, you may see me on the road. Just look for the TacomaWorld.com sticker in the rear window.

Cheers!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks 007Tacoma. I've seen a number of your very helpful posts, and I noticed your location. I have fond memories of my college years in SA. I got some cousins down there. I lived in the Austin area for a few years in the 90's too. And I've done my share of 'tubing in New Braunfels.

To avoid the ire of the SC contingent, I also have ties there. My wife spent some wonderful formative summers as a child with her grandparents in Camden. When she gets riled up, there's a hint of that endearing accent in her.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #10
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome aboard, glad you're liking the truck. It only gets better the longer you own it
Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
Thanks 007Tacoma. I've seen a number of your very helpful posts, and I noticed your location. I have fond memories of my college years in SA. I got some cousins down there. I lived in the Austin area for a few years in the 90's too. And I've done my share of 'tubing in New Braunfels.

To avoid the ire of the SC contingent, I also have ties there. My wife spent some wonderful formative summers as a child with her grandparents in Camden. When she gets riled up, there's a hint of that endearing accent in her.
Gotta love that accent, nothing like a Carolina girl

I'm surprised at how fast you picked up on the regional tension between Texas and the Carolinas. I'm also impressed that you made an effort not to piss off the Alliance. We are definately a force to be reckoned with. We havn't actually gotten off our lazy ass's or stopped drinking beer long enough to do anything to anyone, but who knows when we'll make our move.... any day now. So far Texas hasn't been man enough to start its own club, but when/if they do.... its on.... as long as we dont have to do anything strenuous
Old 09-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I'm surprised at how fast you picked up on the regional tension between Texas and the Carolinas. I'm also impressed that you made an effort not to piss off the Alliance. We are definately a force to be reckoned with. We havn't actually gotten off our lazy ass's or stopped drinking beer long enough to do anything to anyone, but who knows when we'll make our move.... any day now. So far Texas hasn't been man enough to start its own club, but when/if they do.... its on.... as long as we dont have to do anything strenuous
I've been on enough internet bulletin boards to do some reading before I post. I'm not too worried though. A ragtag handful of Texans should be able to handle the harassment of an alliance of two states. If you easterners get a few more dinky states onboard, maybe then it'll be time for the Texans to organize (just for convenience though, not that we'd *need* to). I gotta admit though, as an 8th generation Texan, there's no contest which side I'll take. Still, if you get you hands on some Shiner Bock, I'd bend a few elbows with ya.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been on enough internet bulletin boards to do some reading before I post. I'm not too worried though. A ragtag handful of Texans should be able to handle the harassment of an alliance of two states. If you easterners get a few more dinky states onboard, maybe then it'll be time for the Texans to organize (just for convenience though, not that we'd *need* to). I gotta admit though, as an 8th generation Texan, there's no contest which side I'll take. Still, if you get you hands on some Shiner Bock, I'd bend a few elbows with ya.
Just check out a few of the lines under people's handles, there is the Jersey division of the Carolinas Alliance, I think there is also the Pennsylvania division, and we even have the California division. And others as well I think.... Well I'd think if I weren't to drunk to remember from following the rules of the Alliance.

I forget ND, did we let that way way way northerner Themaster in? (*whispers* you know the Canadian)

You should join us sawdust, we have beer, and make fun of ten gallon hats.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #14
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
When the total size of these "Carolina Alliance" states can match Texas, get back to me. And Canadia doesn't count -- they call 'em territories up thar.

And I resemble that remark! Headroom for a Stetson was one of my reasons for buying the Taco (but not the 10 gallon kind -- just 1 gallon -- I'm not compensating for anything). I learned to drink beer while wearing that hat.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #15

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
Just check out a few of the lines under people's handles, there is the Jersey division of the Carolinas Alliance, I think there is also the Pennsylvania division, and we even have the California division. And others as well I think.... Well I'd think if I weren't to drunk to remember from following the rules of the Alliance.

I forget ND, did we let that way way way northerner Themaster in? (*whispers* you know the Canadian)

You should join us sawdust, we have beer, and make fun of ten gallon hats.

You know... i think we did let Themaster in, but i cant remember. It would be much easier to remember if we had a formal group on this forum that people could join (hint hint).
Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #16

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When the total size of these "Carolina Alliance" states can match Texas, get back to me. And Canadia doesn't count -- they call 'em territories up thar.

And I resemble that remark! Headroom for a Stetson was one of my reasons for buying the Taco (but not the 10 gallon kind -- just 1 gallon -- I'm not compensating for anything). I learned to drink beer while wearing that hat.
I like you sawdust, so i'm gonna give you one last chance to join the Carolina Alliance (you can be our spy). If you turn me down then we will have no choice but to include you with the rest of the texans when we finally sober up enough to make our move.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #17
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
As tempting as the spy thing sounds, I've only been here 2 days. I ought to get a better sense of the lay of the land before I join any alliance. 'Sides I still don't know whether you guys have any good Texas beer or whether you'll make fun of my hat or not. And I'm not if sure if you will sober up, so the threat is kinda weak.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #18

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As tempting as the spy thing sounds, I've only been here 2 days. I ought to get a better sense of the lay of the land before I join any alliance. 'Sides I still don't know whether you guys have any good Texas beer or whether you'll make fun of my hat or not. And I'm not if sure if you will sober up, so the threat is kinda weak.
You've made a powerful enemy today my friend......

But to answer your question, i dont think we have Texas beer and we only make fun of 10 gallon hats, yours should be fine. I have a cowboyish hat i wear at the lake and the beach and pool (im going bald so i have to protect my scalp). Also, there is a good change we will not sober up but that doesnt mean we cant still be dangerous and make late night drunken phone calls. BTW, whats your phone number?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #20
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
You've made a powerful enemy today my friend......
OK. Have it your way. Like my new avatar?