1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My first new vehicle (Longest INTRO thread)

Discussion in 'New Members' started by sawdust, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Sep 25, 2007 at 3:18 PM
    sawdust

sawdust [OP] Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Just signed on and now I'm getting prompted to post here, so don't yell at me, I'm just following directions.

I'm loving my Tacoma. Had it for 10 days now. It's my first new vehicle, and my first Toyota. I've been driving used vehicles for my first **mumble** 20 **mumble** years of driving. I've never been particularly interested in working on past vehicles, but now that I've got a NEW one, I'm getting a bit of a bug to customize it to make it uniquely mine. I got a lot to learn, so be gentle with me, but I'm good about doing my homework before asking questions.

2. Sep 25, 2007 at 3:55 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Welcome to TW, Toyota, and congrats on your 1st new vehicle. You picked a good one.

3. Sep 25, 2007 at 4:18 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Likewise, welcome to TacomaWorld!!

I know exactly what you mean, for the longest time in my life I always had two cars, simply because one or the other of them was broken down at any one time.

I was so happy when I bought my first Tacoma, a 2004, that I had the window sticker professionally framed, and I would have done so for my 2007 too if the damn dealer had not ripped it all to hell when they took it off. (I know I'm a dork)

These days I do mods on my truck because I feel that it's on my terms. I work on my truck because I want to, not becasue I have to.

4. Sep 25, 2007 at 5:18 PM
    Route66Taco

Route66Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rolla, MO
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma
    Right ON! Welcome!

SPIDER1962 and KennysRedTacoma like this.
  5. Sep 25, 2007 at 6:15 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    welcome to tw! congrats on your new truck!! you made an awesome decision, and you are gonna love your truck. just wait till the mod bug bites ya;)!!

SPIDER1962, Thuguon2.7 and Chizel07 like this.
  6. Sep 25, 2007 at 7:37 PM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    Welcome! Have fun with your new ride! I know I do!

TransDisc and evansr40c like this.
  7. Sep 26, 2007 at 7:51 AM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Wow! What a friendly place. I didn't really know if anyone read the newbie introductions, so I kept it short.

Up to buying my Taco, I'd always viewed driving as a means to get from point A to point B. It wasn't something I enjoyed, and if someone else wanted to drive, I was happy to let them. Now, I find it fun to drive. It's hard to put my finger on exactly why. A couple of months ago, my Dad let me drive his new GMC Sierra. That had a certain novelty to it, but I couldn't call it "fun." I guess the Taco has a sporty feel to it -- the responsive steering, peppy acceleration. When I initially did my research I didn't think I'd care about the PreRunner's higher stance -- I didn't expect to do any off-roading. However, now that I'm driving it, I do like sitting higher and the better visibility in traffic. I'm also thinking about when/where I might have a chance to do some light off-roading :)

Not to diminish the Taco at all, but I had to make some compromises too. The double cab is for the wife and kids. I'll be using this for my daily commute vehicle (about 10 miles each way) but we needed something the whole family could fit into for weekend errands and trips, and to take some of the load off the wife's 7 year old Honda CRV. However, I like to do some woodworking, so I'll be needing to haul wood a couple of times a year (not *much* time to woodwork) which will include some sheet goods (plywood, MDF, etc). So, the short bed will be a bit of a challenge for me. I'll start another thread on that.

I've rambled enough for now. I'll catch y'all on other threads.

8. Sep 26, 2007 at 8:54 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Welcome to TW!

Congratulations on your truck. My 007 is my first NEW vehicle as well. If you have questions we are more than happy to help. Keep your eyes open - as much as I drive in Texas, you may see me on the road. Just look for the TacomaWorld.com sticker in the rear window.

Cheers!

Micky Rat likes this.
  9. Sep 26, 2007 at 9:20 AM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks 007Tacoma. I've seen a number of your very helpful posts, and I noticed your location. I have fond memories of my college years in SA. I got some cousins down there. I lived in the Austin area for a few years in the 90's too. And I've done my share of 'tubing in New Braunfels.

To avoid the ire of the SC contingent, I also have ties there. My wife spent some wonderful formative summers as a child with her grandparents in Camden. When she gets riled up, there's a hint of that endearing accent in her.

ChadsPride likes this.
  10. Sep 26, 2007 at 10:12 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Welcome aboard, glad you're liking the truck. It only gets better the longer you own it :)

11. Sep 26, 2007 at 10:25 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Gotta love that accent, nothing like a Carolina girl :)

I'm surprised at how fast you picked up on the regional tension between Texas and the Carolinas. I'm also impressed that you made an effort not to piss off the Alliance. We are definately a force to be reckoned with. We havn't actually gotten off our lazy ass's or stopped drinking beer long enough to do anything to anyone, but who knows when we'll make our move.... any day now. So far Texas hasn't been man enough to start its own club, but when/if they do.... its on.... as long as we dont have to do anything strenuous :)

techmatt72 and JKU3000 like this.
  12. Sep 26, 2007 at 12:13 PM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    I've been on enough internet bulletin boards to do some reading before I post. I'm not too worried though. A ragtag handful of Texans should be able to handle the harassment of an alliance of two states. If you easterners get a few more dinky states onboard, maybe then it'll be time for the Texans to organize (just for convenience though, not that we'd *need* to). I gotta admit though, as an 8th generation Texan, there's no contest which side I'll take. Still, if you get you hands on some Shiner Bock, I'd bend a few elbows with ya.

13. Sep 26, 2007 at 12:23 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Just check out a few of the lines under people's handles, there is the Jersey division of the Carolinas Alliance, I think there is also the Pennsylvania division, and we even have the California division. And others as well I think.... Well I'd think if I weren't to drunk to remember from following the rules of the Alliance.

I forget ND, did we let that way way way northerner Themaster in? (*whispers* you know the Canadian)

You should join us sawdust, we have beer, and make fun of ten gallon hats.

:)

14. Sep 26, 2007 at 1:35 PM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    When the total size of these "Carolina Alliance" states can match Texas, get back to me. And Canadia doesn't count -- they call 'em territories up thar.

And I resemble that remark! Headroom for a Stetson was one of my reasons for buying the Taco (but not the 10 gallon kind -- just 1 gallon -- I'm not compensating for anything). I learned to drink beer while wearing that hat.

Aznatural1 and ChadsPride like this.
  15. Sep 27, 2007 at 7:49 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    You know... i think we did let Themaster in, but i cant remember. It would be much easier to remember if we had a formal group on this forum that people could join (hint hint).

Aznatural1 likes this.
  16. Sep 27, 2007 at 7:53 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I like you sawdust, so i'm gonna give you one last chance to join the Carolina Alliance (you can be our spy). If you turn me down then we will have no choice but to include you with the rest of the texans when we finally sober up enough to make our move.

Jimha likes this.
  17. Sep 27, 2007 at 12:46 PM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    As tempting as the spy thing sounds, I've only been here 2 days. I ought to get a better sense of the lay of the land before I join any alliance. 'Sides I still don't know whether you guys have any good Texas beer or whether you'll make fun of my hat or not. And I'm not if sure if you will sober up, so the threat is kinda weak.

Jimha and ChadsPride like this.
  18. Sep 27, 2007 at 1:07 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    You've made a powerful enemy today my friend......

But to answer your question, i dont think we have Texas beer and we only make fun of 10 gallon hats, yours should be fine. I have a cowboyish hat i wear at the lake and the beach and pool (im going bald so i have to protect my scalp). Also, there is a good change we will not sober up but that doesnt mean we cant still be dangerous and make late night drunken phone calls. BTW, whats your phone number?

Jimha likes this.
  19. Sep 27, 2007 at 1:16 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    "so the threat is kinda weak"......LMAO

20. Sep 27, 2007 at 3:02 PM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    OK. Have it your way. Like my new avatar?

ChadsPride likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top