1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to thread, in need of assistance

Discussion in 'New Members' started by tacomeat08, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jan 11, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    tacomeat08

tacomeat08 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD OR
    Hey all, i hope i'm not putting the cart (or taco) before the horse, but I need some help. New to this forum, but not Toyota forums, was on T4R for a couple years. I tired searching for a while, but couldn't find the answers I need so I posted here. If my questions are blatantly and obviously answered on another thread, please let me know, and feel free to degrade me as much as necessary. Also, If I should post this somewhere else to get better results, please let me know as well.

Lost my 4Runner to a tragic accident, and now I am looking to replace it with a 2nd Gen tacoma. Looking between 2006 and 2010, TRD pkg. Leaning towards the TRD Sport simply for the long bed and because I honestly will not need the e-locker, but also really want the tow pkg, and i couldn't find anything comprehensive that said whether or not this comes on the TRD Sport.

Also, I was wondering what to look for when inspecting these vehicles? My budget is around 20k, and in the year span i'm lookin that means generally around 100k miles (lookin anywhere between Austin and Houston). What are the problem areas I should be aware of? what is gonna break around that mileage? what is gonna leak around that mileage? What will I need to buff to make it shiny again? (just kidding about that one)

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give, lookin forward to joining the forum with a truck of my very own.

2. Jan 11, 2014 at 6:46 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
  3. Jan 11, 2014 at 6:51 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    The TRD sport can be equipped with the "heavy tow" package, which is the 6500# towing capacity.... easiest way to see this is going to be the tranny cooler installed on the truck along with a factory hitch and 7 pin trailer harness.

good luck with your search.

4. Jan 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
    Welcome

5. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:09 AM
    tacomeat08

tacomeat08 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD OR
    I'd like to post some links to the ones i've been lookin at, maybe get some feedback from y'all. would this be the appropriate board to post it in? or should I start a new thread somewhere else?

6. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    You should be just fine posting here. That is what we are all here for!

7. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dcsb 4x4
    Wrecked!
    after you find one you like take it to a dealer or good mechanic and have an inspection done it worth the money to no what you might need to do to get this truck to toyota certified standards that way you can use that to as ammo for a better price.
    Thats what i did . I test drove about a half a dozen in the low 20 range.when i found the one i liked i took it the dealer and had them check it out. one rotor had small cracks so two new rotors and brake job ,and wheel bearing needed replaced,spare tire was missing tps sensor.so i had the cost of the repairs taken off the sale price.saved 2 gs this way.
    anyone selling a tacoma should have no problem with you taking it to the dealer for inspection.If not dont buy from them there are tons of these trucks in that range.

8. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    tacomeat08

tacomeat08 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD OR
    k, well here goes:

http://www.lonestarchevrolet.com/us...-Houston-451db4b40a0a00de63937097c535a430.htm

http://www.leomartinchevrolet.com/V...6_Automatic_(Natl)-Lake_Jackson-TX/2099810703

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...pe=make_modelDESC&resultCar=null&cardist=6596

http://toyotaofkilleen.com/Killeen-...CAB-SR5-4X4-TRD-OFF-ROAD-Blue-Truck/24517116/

All of em are pretty far apart, but that is kinda the norm in this state, and I don't mind drivin a couple hours.

Only things i'm hesitant about are the relatively high miles. My old 4runner had 285k and was still runnin strong, but i didn't know if the newer toyotas were as reliable at 100k+.

Also I really like the price on that lifted white one (TRD Sport debadged i think) but I am kinda hesitant about getting one with a lot of aftermarket stuff on it already. I generally prefer to do that stuff myself. granted with the extra cash I could have some money for repairs.

Any input y'all can give is greatly appreciated

9. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT

Mine isn't a Sport or LB but this is what your looking for in the front

DSC_0079-1_c1d7b53104134d6d742729af4570ac23d964cc5e.jpg

And the 7 pin harness in the rear.

DSC_0230_05d9ecac639c38eb83f2e49809edd2a2c5d9ef49.jpg

10. Jan 13, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    Trev407

Trev407 Trev

Member:
    First Name:
    Trev
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DCLB TRD PreRunner
    Volant Ram Air intake, Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors, custom LED bed lights, Fogs anytime mod, Kenwood double din, 21" Light bar and BAMF behind the grill mount, Black Billet grill
    I have a TRD sport. Its an 07 dclb with tow package. bought it in 2012 with 60,000 miles. it had every oil change and service on record. ive put over 30,000 miles on it and it runs like the day i bought it. ask the dealer how many owners the truck has had and to pull its service record and carfax. as long as the preventative maintenance has been done you shouldnt have to worry about anything breaking as so much as things reaching the end of there lifespan: brakes, cabin air filter, spark plugs and wires, diff. fluid, serpentine belts, wheel bearings etc.

11. Jan 13, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    tacomeat08

tacomeat08 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD OR
    Roger that, i been tryin to check for the right tow hitch on the dealer websites. unfortunately most of em don't take detailed photos of that area, but generally it's good enough to tell.

And thanks for that Trev, I figured they were still good machines, but I wanted to double check.

Also, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, if any of y'all from central to east TX know of any out there that I haven't found lemme know.

12. Jan 13, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    amcorley

amcorley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
    Running boards, BOSS audio system with backup cam, nav, dvd, and bluetooth
    That red one is Smokin! Backup camera in the mirror I assume? Sport pkg and alloy wheels.

The white one with the aftermarkert bumper/wheels is cool, personally not a huge fan of the single DIN aftermarket radio. $2K less than the others but you're trading 30K miles and some aftermarket upgrades.

Couldnt open the third one on my awesome Government computer...

The blue one is eh, its got TRD off road and the least miles but otherwise doesnt really stand out. Tailgate handle looks like it MAY be setup with a backup cam but its not listed in the options.

My opinion, would be red, white, blue in that order. They all have tow pkg so not discussed.

Red has the sport pkg (hood scoop, alloy wheels) and backup cam with only 105K miles so its my #1.

White has the most mileage but lots of aftermarket items (bumper, wheels, stereo) but that depends on what you want in a stereo and if its worth a tradeoff of 30K miles from the red one. You can upgrade the red with a double or sing DIN for less than $400 depending on what you want.

Blue one has the lowest miles but, in my opinion, the least quality perks. Steel wheels are ok but not the nicer alloy, no running boards, not a fan of the rack on top either.

Again cant see the third one so not included.

http://www.autoevolution.com/pdf/auto/toyota-tacoma-brochure-2013.pdf

This site has the features of the different packages broken out easily on pgs 14-16. Should be standard class IV tow package to max around 6,500 lbs.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  13. Jan 13, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    tacomeat08

tacomeat08 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD OR
    Gotcha, thanks for the input.

Realized taht 3rd link is kinda screwy. its a dealer site, but it's linked through autotrader. works when I right click and open in new window. not sure if that'll fly on gov't comp though. (SIPR?)

if ya wanna look at it its at a dealer called Cransh Auto Sales in Arlington, TX

Thanks again for the input. your views are pretty in-line with mine. Definitely not sure about that blue, a little gaudy for my tastes.

14. Jan 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    amcorley

amcorley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
    Running boards, BOSS audio system with backup cam, nav, dvd, and bluetooth
    Not on SIPR but theres a bunch of sites blocked to gov computers for some reason. eBay for instance, can't go to that site but we CAN go to Amazon

Checked the third one out. my opinion would be #3 of the four, least miles but most expensive w/aftermarket grill, steel wheels and stock everything else also 2WD. Why is a 2WD more expensive than the others! even being 10k less miles.

Your call obviously, depends on what pkgs you want and what you're willing to pay more for. Sport catches my eye with the hood scoop and alloy wheels and I like red (obviously from my signature I'm going to lean you towards this one).

Aftermarket bumpers are cool but I'm not off-roading, strictly street driving, so basically just aesthetics.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Jan 13, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    tacomeat08

tacomeat08 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD OR
    I was confused on that 3rd one also. the listing says 2WD, but its a TRD OR, and it has the 4x4 mudflaps, and the transfer case selector on the dash, so i was assuming that "2WD" was a typo.

As for the steel bumper, if it didnt come with one, i'd make one for it. On that 3rd one i'd probably remove the one that came with it and make one anyway. Had a steel bumper save my a$$ on two separate occasions (last time was my previous 4Runner *tear*). Unfortunately that last one was welded to the frame, and "totaled" my 4runner (as well as the car that hit it) but it kept me alive.

Thanks again for the help, and dont get me started on gov't computers :D HOOAH

16. Jan 13, 2014 at 1:11 PM
    tacomeat08

tacomeat08 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD OR
    Did any of the TRD OR's come without the HD Tow Package? I thought it was standard but I found a TRD OR that didn't have the 7-pin or the Trans Cooler. Thought they maybe slapped the graphics on a non-TRD but it has the E-locker so I wasn't sure.

17. Jan 21, 2014 at 5:54 AM
    tacomeat08

tacomeat08 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD OR
    Found one closer, at the chevy dealer a mile from my house, so I walked off the lot with that one. '08 TRD OR, 6-spd M/T, 82k miles. Will post pictures when I get a chance to take some good ones in daylight.

Can't wait for the tires to wear out so I can justify leveling it and goin up a bit on the tire size, as well as begin plotting, i mean planning, plenty of other mods.

I did notice that it shifts a bit hard, and the ratios seem kinda weird, but i figure it'll just take me a couple weeks to get used to how she shifts. In my research I saw some stuff about the URD Shift kit, is that worth it for these trucks? or are there any better out there?

Thanks to everyone for their assistance and I can't wait to really start pouring into this board.

18. Jan 21, 2014 at 6:02 AM
    EODTRD

EODTRD Brick horder

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Spartanburg, SC
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tacoma OR, 2024 4Runner OR
    Congratulations, you will have fun modding and spending all your money soon.

Products Discussed in

To Top