1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear view cam mod !! Help !!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Albertataco89, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Jan 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM
    Albertataco89

Albertataco89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09BlackLiftedSR5
    Arb winch bumper, M8000 warn winch, 6 inch BDS lift, mayhem wheels, kenwood all around
    Hey guys, I'm new to this whole being a part of the forum group but these forums always seem to help me out one way or another, so now I actually need to ask this specific question so I can get the actual answer.. I have a kenwood DNX9990HD double din cd, DVD, navigation unit which has a back up camera option. The wires for the back up camera are a positive and a negative , I attached them to the back up camera wires in the kick panel behind the coin holder compartment.. I also hook up the reverse gear switch to the purple wire on the back of my CD player which tell the unit when to switch te camera on. When I put it in reverse it does everything it is supposed to but I have to picture.. I have all the wires hook up and still no picture, the screen in my mirror fried itself so maybe that's why I can't get the video? I'm not sure but any body who has done this mod could probably help!! Thanks guys

2. Jan 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM
    amcorley

amcorley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
    Running boards, BOSS audio system with backup cam, nav, dvd, and bluetooth
    I went through a backup camera install yesterday. Not sure where your coin holder is? which kick panel are you talking about?

I tapped the black wire into a black wire near the spare, at the tail light harness, ran the red power up to the drivers side kick panel. The red and white wire there is the reverse light... tapped the red power wire into that then ran some wire from the Head Unit signal wire (mine was orange not purple) into the red/white wire there as well. Throw it in reverse and money.

the Kick panel is the one right there by your left foot when you're in the drivers seat.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  3. Jan 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    Albertataco89

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09BlackLiftedSR5
    Arb winch bumper, M8000 warn winch, 6 inch BDS lift, mayhem wheels, kenwood all around
    Where the interior fuse box is, my truck came stock with a back up camera but the screen in the mirror is toast, I am trying to get the picture to show up on my kenwood DVD player but when I put it in reverse it's just a black screen.. Almost like the camera isn't getting any power since the screen in the mirror doesn't work anymore :s I'm stumped

4. Jan 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    Albertataco89

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09BlackLiftedSR5
  5. Jan 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM
    amcorley

amcorley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBk7dfWCgR0

this guys gives a good description of the kick box I'm talking about and this guy:
    http://www.yotatech.com/f96/2006-tacoma-reverse-camera-install-249968/
    shows you the red/white wire in the kick box very well.

Bottom line you need a total of four wires:

RCA to run the video from your camera, this should plug directly into an input on the back of your HU)

Red power, i chose to run this into the reverse red/white wire, so it would only be one when in reverse.

Black wire I grounded with another black wire near the tailgate.

Signal wire from your HU to the reverse red/white wire mentioned above (this works for me but running three units: HU, camera, and reverse lights, may not be super smart on a 12+v wire… but it works so whatever…)

Did you move the red power away from the mirror when you started the switch? If you believe thats a cause it'd be best to completely remove the mirror from the equation.

Just get some wire and reroute power and negative away from where it was when you used the mirror (obviously use different colors).

6. Jan 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM
    Albertataco89

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09BlackLiftedSR5
    On my 2009 tacoma there are two clips of wires behind the coin box to the left of the steering wheel above the kick panel. Behind it there is one clip with four wires coming out of it, the black and red ones are apparently the video feeds according to a forum I read, on the other clip, the red wire is the reverse switch , the reverse switch works fine it changes the CD player to camera mode once I put it into reverse but I still have no picture, the forum you just provided is different, I didn't take off the kick panel I tapped into the camera before that , it is a oem camera I don't know how to put photos onto this forum but if you look up Toyota tacoma back up camera fuse on google and go to images you will see what I'm talking about,

7. Jan 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    amcorley

amcorley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
    Cant speak to that as I haven't done it. If you have 2ft of extra wire and don't mind 15 mins of work you can route down to this kick panel. i know it works and throws your HU to camera when in revers. up to you. Others on here may be more knowledgeable on the OEM camera set up at the fuse box, I'm not.

8. Jan 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM
    Albertataco89

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09BlackLiftedSR5
    On the back of my kenwood double din it's not a RCA cable there is just two wires that come out with all the speaker wires both say , CAM + and CAM -

9. Jan 12, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    amcorley

amcorley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
    … Not sure what those are. http://manual.kenwood.com/files/4f861f7144289.pdf you probably already have the manual, if not click that link and go to pg 27. It shows an accessory cable with a rearview camera RCA input. not sure what the +/- CAM wires are for. Did that accessory cord come with your kit or is it an additional cost?

Even on your stock mirror setup there should've been an RCA routing video, otherwise you wouldn't have video. Thats probably why your screen is black, all our wires are right you just don't have a vid feed.

10. Jan 12, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    amcorley

amcorley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
  11. Jan 12, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    amcorley

amcorley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
    Going out to eat, hope that helped.

12. Jan 12, 2014 at 6:08 PM
    Albertataco89

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09BlackLiftedSR5
    Fuck yea buddy!! I wired it up to the cam wires which is for an optional ( not included) camera.. I didn't even think to look if I had that other harness.. But I do!! I'm going to try it out right now!! Thanks a lot :D

13. Jan 12, 2014 at 7:19 PM
    Albertataco89

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09BlackLiftedSR5
    Ok so now it works.. Sometimes.. It works for about the first minute after you start the tacoma and after that it is just a black screen.. I have to shut off the truck and then put it in reverse again and then it works but if you leave it in reverse it will automatically just shut off randomly after a minute :S

14. Jan 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM
    amcorley

amcorley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
    Sorry that I haven't had happen. Best guess is youre hooked to poor power or ground. at least it works, just make sure you park in less than a minute! You'll have to run that past some smarter folks. You should put it in the audio/video forum, you probably won't get any more help here in the intro forum.

15. Jan 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    Albertataco89

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09BlackLiftedSR5
    Ok fair enough thanks a lot, how do I post it in the audio video one?

16. Jan 12, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    amcorley

amcorley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
  17. Jan 12, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    Albertataco89

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09BlackLiftedSR5
    Thanks buddy appreciate it!!

Products Discussed in

To Top