1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about buying one...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by lkout4trucks, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Sep 27, 2007 at 4:40 PM
    lkout4trucks

lkout4trucks [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 gmc canyon
    HP tuned, cat-back, gutted manifold, tons of interior and other stuff...
    whats up everyone?

i recently own a 2005 gmc canyon 4x4, i-5, 3.42 gears. lots of mods but im getting sick of some of the issues ive been having. nothing major i just expect more reliability out of a 2 year old vehicle.

so...what kind of issues have you all been facing with 05 and up tacos?

and im addicted to modding so what kind of power can be made with minor bolt ons and a pcm(ecu) tune?

thanks!

2. Sep 27, 2007 at 5:00 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    eww....a glorified sonoma....my truck before this one was a 2000 chevy xtreme. the colorado/canyons didnt have much more room than that. a big no no for the gm people to kill the s-series trucks for that "improvement". my uncle has one and has had nothing but probs w/ his as well. i personally havent had any probs w/ mine, but i griped about one in order to get my rear leafs replaced under warranty to a superior product that should have been on there in the first place. some of the double cab's have a slight vibration prob around 20 mph or so...but i think thats the only "prob" most people say.

3. Sep 28, 2007 at 6:21 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    No problems with the Taco's. Like jhodge said, some of the trucks have a slight vibration at low speeds. some have the vibration, some dont. so if you test drive one just be aware of any shudder at low speeds. Other than that, the Taco is a big step up. My ex girlfriend had a colorado and i hated it with a passion. The whole thing just felt cheap, i like my Taco much better. Start looking :)

4. Sep 28, 2007 at 8:27 AM
    lkout4trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 gmc canyon
    hmm maybe you guys could help me out with this instead of a thread over one question....

i own a z85 suspension on my colorado. it is basically a lower-clearance (not the offroad suspension) and i want a truck that comes with 4wd but has the ride height like a 2wd... what model would that be for these trucks? i kno lowering is optional but i dont want to mess with it it only causes issues further down the road.

and being honest you guys havent had any even minor issues with and sensors or recall issues or anything? no problems with at all? my truck is only 2 years old and ive only had minor stuff go wrong and gm was more than willing to fix w/e i could come up with but after paying 16k for a truck and dumping 3k+ in aftermarket/custom parts i just dont feel like i should have to deal with those kind of issues at all.

5. Oct 1, 2007 at 5:30 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I don't know of any kits that allow you to drop a 4WD Tacoma. I believe you can only get a Tacoma in 4WD at the stock height or higher.

The only real issue I have had with mine (23,000 miles since Jan. 1, 07) is a slight vibration in the wheel at 68 MPH. According to the dealership, one of my front rotors may have a defect in it. They are going to put new ones on under warranty this week.

I complained about the suspension, and they are going to replace that under warranty as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with it - I just wanted the upgrade. :p

6. Oct 1, 2007 at 6:47 AM
    lkout4trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 gmc canyon
    so no 4x4 low stance x-runner? i figured as much but had to check. where im from/going to school i NEED 4wd or atleast front wheel. rwd is just too much of pita in the snow for me.

7. Oct 1, 2007 at 7:16 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Well, I don't know what you have against the extra height. My wife has a hard time getting in/out of my truck, but that is about it. It handles like a sports car in canyons and back roads. It would be awesome - except for the stupid Dunflop tires. ;)

8. Oct 1, 2007 at 9:10 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    As far as us having problems i think the general answer is "no". Like i said, be careful of the vibration at low speeds on your test drive, but other than that they are trouble free. Although any car from any manufactuar can be a lemon, for the most part nobody here has any problems with their ride. If anyone does have a problem chime in lkout can make an informed decision. But seriously, you will be hard pressed to find a better made truck

9. Oct 1, 2007 at 10:07 AM
    lkout4trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 gmc canyon
    im not set on selling my truck just yet since ive got so much work into it already and do enjoy it. i havent THAT much trouble with it but an ext. cab and the longer warranty/reliability would be nice. im prob going to go test drive one next weekend when im home/near a toyota dealership.

10. Oct 1, 2007 at 5:01 PM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    the chevy colorado and canyon...
    I dont own one but i read about the truck has so much problem due to the engine head mis-fire... it is an common problem and gm didn't even recall it.... GM sucks!

On the other hand, GM in China, Europe, and australia is pretty good!! Actually making good profits!

I guess they dont care about american people anymore uh?

11. Oct 1, 2007 at 5:41 PM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    I LOVE MY TACO I have had a chevy 1/2 ton and a qc dodge 1500 and i like the taco over them both.

12. Oct 1, 2007 at 8:10 PM
    lkout4trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 gmc canyon
    actually GM sent out a letter to all owners who might have the problem. if you have it its obv since you'll misfire and/or idle horribly. they also are covering it and issues caused from it for 100k miles. the dealership were i bought mine has been really good about issues and such i have had.

like i said im going to take a taco for a test drive but its gonna take some serious impressions to make me sell my canyon. i am considering getting an x-runner and just learning to not drive in the snow lol. doubt it'll happen tho

13. Oct 2, 2007 at 3:50 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I wouldn't worry about the snow in an X-Runner. Just get some really good tires on it. I drove my PreRunner through the snow in Amarillo last winter, and I didn't have a problem. Of course, I drove a 2WD 94 Suburban for two semesters through I-70 going back and forth every weekend to see my girlfriend. ;) I took that thing where most people fear to tread. I even had Vail Pass gates closed behind me because the road was "unpassable". :D

14. Oct 2, 2007 at 5:54 AM
    lkout4trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 gmc canyon
    yeh. im use to driving in over a foot of snow without any worries. ive always owned a 4x4 so getting rwd is def something new.

15. Oct 2, 2007 at 6:43 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Eh, it isn't that new. Just try driving without engaging the 4WD. ;)

16. Oct 2, 2007 at 11:02 AM
    lkout4trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 gmc canyon
    lol smooth. i meant it would be new for me. and hellz yeah snow drifting in 2wd haha. then when i get stuck hit the lovely 4wd button and drive away... wont be able to do that in a rwd truck.

17. Oct 2, 2007 at 11:15 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I got stuck once in the snow in a 92 Saturn SL1 5 speed. That was it in 4 years of living in the Colorado mountains. :D

18. Oct 2, 2007 at 11:25 AM
    lkout4trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 gmc canyon
    holy crap dude! ive gotten my truck to sit there and spin the tires atleast 15-20 times in the snow or in sand. ive got some michelin ltx m/s tires on so its not a simple traction issue i guess i just do stuff that requires 4wd lol

19. Oct 2, 2007 at 11:46 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Well the dynamic with a truck is different anyways. The Suburban and the Saturn both had significant weight over the driveline wheels. Hell, even my RX-7 did alright in the snow, but I had blizzaks on it. A truck doesn't have any weight on the rear wheels. I can see where that would be a problem in the snow. I usually put sand bags in the bed of mine. Eventually I will be getting another Limited Slip Rear End (Detroit TruTrac!)

I would take the Suburban off-roading in the snow, but it had studded snows and a limited slip differential on it. I never got stuck. I ripped a tire clean off the rim once on a switchback, but never got stuck. ;)

20. Oct 2, 2007 at 12:25 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    While we're on this subject, can anybody explain in simple terms what the difference is between the Limited Slip Differential and the Locking Differential? From what I understand, the limited one kicks in automatically when it is needed, but the locking one requires me to push a button. The locking one appears in the higher end option packages, so it seems like it's an upgrade in that sense. Which is why I'm confused.

Products Discussed in

To Top