1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shift Lever Sticks In Park

Discussion in 'New Members' started by bhdpal, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Jan 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM
    bhdpal

bhdpal [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Yakima roof rack, Wesson Grill Guard, Wesson Grill Fog Lights, Truck Bed cubbie hole lights, Custom built truck bed tool box, interior driver's arm rest, Cabela's camo dirt and stain proof seat covers, Cabela's dirt and water catcher floor mats, door and edge guard protectors, side view globe mirror inserts, class C frame mounted tow hitch and hitch ball step extension.
    72 year old Newbee in love with my '07 Tacoma 4x4 access cab automatic 5 speed V-6 towing package. Haul ATV in bed, canoe on roof rack & tow popup camper. Lots of hunting, canoeing and fishing. Lots of backwoods off road to reach best spots. Proud to be a member of this forum with like minded folks.

Recent problem! The automatic shift lever locked up in PARK after starting & could not move it into reverse or drive. Tried turning engine off & restarting, no go. Finally put a little muscle on the shift lever and it went into reverse and drive.

Can Anyone tell me what caused this problem? I would like to know ahead of time before I take it to a mechanic.

2. Jan 23, 2014 at 3:40 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Welcome to TW :wave:

Man, I have no idea... bumping this thread so others can see.

3. Jan 23, 2014 at 4:47 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  4. Jan 23, 2014 at 4:57 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Do you park on an incline? If so, apply the parking brake first then put shifter into park. This way the weight of the truck doesn't torque lock the tranny, perhaps.

5. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:12 AM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    I read somewhere theres a plastic sleeve on the bottom of the lever that jams up the whole deal.. Maybe thats you issue. Ill see if i can find a link.

6. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:18 AM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    Or try this copy and pasted from other thread same deal as yourself:
    This morning I went directly to the Stop (brake) fuse, yes listed as Stop. The fuse panel is located inside on drivers side near door. 10A Stop/Brake fuse was blown. Replaced fuse! Tacoma is now resting comfortably back home. Thanks to all for your help. This senile citizen is a happy camper again.

7. Jan 24, 2014 at 11:31 AM
    bhdpal

bhdpal [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Yakima roof rack, Wesson Grill Guard, Wesson Grill Fog Lights, Truck Bed cubbie hole lights, Custom built truck bed tool box, interior driver's arm rest, Cabela's camo dirt and stain proof seat covers, Cabela's dirt and water catcher floor mats, door and edge guard protectors, side view globe mirror inserts, class C frame mounted tow hitch and hitch ball step extension.
    Thanks Folks for all the great suggestions. GearCruncher hit the mark. That one time, I was in a hurry and did not tap the brake pedal before starting the engine. I distinctly remember that I started the engine first and then tried to shift from park to drive and it would not go.

Also tried the other suggestions and brake lights worked fine.

I hope this also helps someone else with a similar problem.

jp

8. Jan 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Good to hear you got it figured out. Welcome aboard from the High Desert of Central Oregon. GO SEAHAWKS!!!

9. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    Sky King

Sky King Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Memphis, Tn
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Serious sound deadening in the cab and extensive audio system.
    I drove to a meeting in a town about 70 miles away. Got out, attended meeting. Got into truck, started, couldn't shift out of park. Had my foot on the brake, restarted engine, all no help. Since it was dark, it was easy to note that my brake lights were not working. Further investigation found that tail lights, license plate light and turn signals all inop. Found three fuses blown for these lights.

Previous owner had installed an aftermarket trailer light adapter and it had shorted out blowing all these fuses. With no power to the brake light circuit, the shift lockout did not unlock.

I took the wire cutters, cut the wires to the trailer light module, replaced the fuses, everything worked.

Products Discussed in

To Top