1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck driving mama

Discussion in 'New Members' started by JackandWyattsmom, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Mar 26, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    JackandWyattsmom

JackandWyattsmom [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Water Mill NY
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    I am about to be the proud owner of a 2014 TRD Off Road double cab tacoma. This will be my 3rd tacoma but first as a mother of 2 little boys! Currently one of my sons is still in a rear facing car seat (and will be for a little over a year). I'm wondering what configuration is best for 2 car seats? Will one fit in the middle and one on the passengers side? My husband is 6'4" so we will probably have to leave the seat behind the drivers side free if he ever wants to drive it...? Luckily I'm short so it doesn't matter if my seat is forward.
    Thanks!!!

2. Mar 26, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Subaru WRX
    Beats driving a minivan!!

3. Mar 26, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Welcome to TW.

Here is a pdf from the 2011 Tacoma Manual.

I can't see how anything has changed, but you may want to check your own.

Frank

Child restraint systems from Toyota Tacoma 2011 User Manual.pdf

4. Mar 26, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    TIM.TRDSparks

TIM.TRDSparks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco DCLB RR
    CBI BUSHMASTER, BUDBUILT SKIDS SET, OME SUSPENSION, DAKAR LEAFS, TRD EXHAUST AND CAI PLUS MORE
    Welcome to TW! I have a rear facing car seat in the middle and have plenty of room on either side.

5. Mar 27, 2014 at 5:12 AM
    JackandWyattsmom

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Water Mill NY
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

6. Mar 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM
    2003c5ae

2003c5ae Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    trd sport
    Custom Chrome Running Boards, Black Vinyl Tri Fold Tonneau, Polished Exhaust Tip, Cargo Extender, Glove Box & Console Organizer .
    Welcome good luck. Dang 6'4 husband . At 5'9 I drive with seat all the way back in my access cab and hit my head getting in.:eek:

7. Mar 28, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    Silence9

Silence9 Solve et Coagula

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    :wave:
    I'm exactly 6'4" myself, and I like to have the seat all the way back, but don't NEED to.

Edit: I'm also in an access cab, I'm not sure how the room compares to the double cab in terms of how far back the seats go etc.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  8. Mar 29, 2014 at 4:04 AM
    JackandWyattsmom

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Water Mill NY
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    UPDATE: we all fit! Currently the forward facing seat is behind the drivers side and rear facing is behind pax. Its a little tight for my husband on the pax side but totally doable. I'm thinking of trying the rear facing in the middle and forward facing behind pax seat if they will fit. Then we could possibly even let someone ride with us occasionally! Loving the truck so far. Cant wait to get it on the beach! My 2 year old keeps asking to go ride in mamas new cool truck :)

9. Mar 29, 2014 at 5:29 AM
    TriV

TriV Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    13 DoubleCab XSPX
    I have been a long time lurker on the site, and decided to register and make my first post. I just had to express how awesome it is that it's awesome to see a mom driving a truck. What a turn on! Haha. My wife and I have one two year old boy, and we got our first Taco a few months ago. We both have two 4-door sedans, and prefer the double cab sedan. We never drive our cars. We are now selling them. This is officially our "family car." We have the same truck, but mines is just the XSPX package. We both have double cab (4 door).

Now here's my two cents:

1. The car seat fits just fine. Two wouldn't be any hassle. Your hubby is huge lol, but the car seat will fit in the middle.

2. We have a huge car seat for my two year old behind the passenger seat. He is very comfortable. He doesn't cry when we put him in, and he loves the ride. He loves to fall asleep.

3. One time my two year old scribbled crayons at the top of the truck (inside). Keep in mind it wipes right out. Awesome!

4. Vacuuming the seats of crumbs = easy

5. The ride isn't exceptionally smooth. There are other Toyota vehicles that are extremely smooth, but I actually love the rugged feel. My son doesn't care. Nothing to worry about if you ever notice it isn't as smooth.

I'm still learning about how to care my Taco. We own a very sporty car with all sorts of street-racer mods, and even my wife prefers to drive the Taco. One thing's for sure is that if someone decides to cause an accident with the Taco, then I have a peace of mind I'm the one doing the damage and my son is just a little bit more safe than being in a car.

10. Mar 29, 2014 at 6:02 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Welcome to the forum!!!

It's good to see more ladies driving tacomas!!

Have fun and stop-back often!!

Products Discussed in

To Top