1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newb, can't decide what to get!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by carl s., Apr 24, 2014.

1. Apr 24, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    carl s.

carl s. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys, I'm a prospective owner trying to figure out what I should get! I've been looking at Tacomas for a while and after finally selling my F350 I can buy one. The dilemma I'm having is: a) buy new, b) buy a used, lightly modified one, c) buy a stock higher mileage one and have money left over to play with.

I know I want a double cab, trd off road, tow package at a minimum. And then 3" lift, 285/75/16 tires, bumper, skid plates - just enough for tackling some backcountry camping trips.

So what do you think the best use of my money is? I'm amazed at how well these trucks hold their value - that's what's making this decision tough. I also live in Minnesota where everything rusts so I'd want to go outstate if buying a higher mileage one which is problematic because I'd also want to personally inspect it closely (I'm picky about my cars).

I come from a stage rally background so building and spending ridiculous amounts of money on vehicles isn't anything new to me ;) but I'm ready to slow down a bit now. These are the two cars I've built and raced over the past 6 years:

ps, the white one is for sale if you want a car that's nationally competitive in Rally America :cool:. The blue one played pinball at 90mph through the trees :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Apr 24, 2014 at 11:15 PM
    gb42

gb42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD OR DCSB MT
    I'd buy used with mods if that's what you are going to do anyways. A stock lightly used and stock modified Tacoma are going to be very close in price.

3. Apr 24, 2014 at 11:44 PM
    HiFire

HiFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    SR5,4x4,DCSB,Auto
    Weathertech mats, BAMF sliders, US Offroad front winch bumper, RCI Alum. Skid plates, ICON suspension, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, JBA uca's, Allpro u-bolt flip,
    You obviously know a thing or two about working on cars/trucks. Personally I would recommend that you buy new-stock if you plan on keeping it more than a few years. I enjoy modifying my vehicles but can't stand repairing or replacing modifications done by other people. With your racing background I'm sure you'll know what kind of modifications you want to make after extensive research. Can't wait to see what kind of changes you make. Rally-4x4-long travel-thingamajig.:cheers:

4. Apr 29, 2014 at 11:31 PM
    james Daniel

james Daniel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD off road
    Agreed I did that and im planning to keep mine forever. I absolutely love my tacomas won't buy anything else.

5. Apr 30, 2014 at 1:12 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    With the high resale value new and used are only separated by a few $K in some cases. Buy new and RUST free. Mod as needed, although a stock Taco is a very capable vehicle:thumbsup: Welcome to TW!

Products Discussed in

To Top