Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

First Tacoma

Old 05-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #41
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper678 View Post
Won't that make steering a ***** and unsafe?
Make it hard to do u-turns/parking but steering at speeds over 5mph shouldnt be too bad.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #42
MPG Enthusiast
Mikeyjd will become famous soon enoughMikeyjd will become famous soon enough

Name: Mikey
Mikeyjd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Make it hard to do u-turns/parking but steering at speeds over 5mph shouldnt be too bad.
I wouldn't expect my little wife to manage without power steering, but I think i may actually prefer it after just a couple runs
Old 05-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #43
Professional Threadjacker
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Devin
Chopper678's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyjd View Post
I wouldn't expect my little wife to manage without power steering, but I think i may actually prefer it after just a couple runs
If you didn't like it (Sounds like you do) you could always get a larger steering wheel like they did before power steering.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #44
MPG Enthusiast

Mikeyjd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you didn't like it (Sounds like you do) you could always get a larger steering wheel like they did before power steering.
It'd be cheaper/easier to reinstal the PS belt, or I could loop the fluids to remove the pressure from the pump. I may do that either way.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #45
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It'd be cheaper/easier to reinstal the PS belt, or I could loop the fluids to remove the pressure from the pump. I may do that either way.
Reinstalling the belt would be defeating the purpose of removing it... with a larger wheel you could keep it off.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #46
MPG Enthusiast

Mikeyjd's Tacoma Gallery
New best tank.

Quote:
Reinstalling the belt would be defeating the purpose of removing it... with a larger wheel you could keep it off.
I'm leaving it off. I like driving it better without it.

2014-06-01
468.7 mi
754.3 km
15.944 gal (US)
$3.85/Gallon ($61.38 total for this fill)
29.4 mpg (US)
8 L/100 km

New (old) tires 245/75/16 + more under body panels. Ran 91 octane ethanol free this tank. Pretty good tank considering I hauled a trailer around for part of it.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #47

Quote:
I'm leaving it off. I like driving it better without it.

2014-06-01
468.7 mi
754.3 km
15.944 gal (US)
$3.85/Gallon ($61.38 total for this fill)
29.4 mpg (US)
8 L/100 km

New (old) tires 245/75/16 + more under body panels. Ran 91 octane ethanol free this tank. Pretty good tank considering I hauled a trailer around for part of it.
Gratz! Hey, you'll never guess... I went against my instinct and tried pulse and glide this tank after getting a 21MPG tank with normal driving habits, saved P&G for this one so as to get an accurate difference.

Normally, if I fill up my truck to the BRIM (About a gallon after the auto shut off at the pump) I will get 100 miles at 1/4, and if I behave 200 at 1/2.

This tank, I just let it auto shut off (For accurate calculations I use the same pump and let it auto shut off) meaning about a gallon less, and I hit 125 at the 1/4!! Hoping for ~250 at the 1/2, I did a lot of city driving this weekend. Pulse and glide rocks! Goal is a +3 or +4 change with P&G.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #48
Back to Back World War Champions
tylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tylershane17's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for curiosity
Old 06-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #49
MPG Enthusiast

Mikeyjd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gratz! Hey, you'll never guess... I went against my instinct and tried pulse and glide this tank after getting a 21MPG tank with normal driving habits, saved P&G for this one so as to get an accurate difference.

Normally, if I fill up my truck to the BRIM (About a gallon after the auto shut off at the pump) I will get 100 miles at 1/4, and if I behave 200 at 1/2.

This tank, I just let it auto shut off (For accurate calculations I use the same pump and let it auto shut off) meaning about a gallon less, and I hit 125 at the 1/4!! Hoping for ~250 at the 1/2, I did a lot of city driving this weekend. Pulse and glide rocks! Goal is a +3 or +4 change with P&G.
You should get some instrumentation. It would give you instant feedback on your different technique. I use and recommend UltraGuage.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #50

Quote:
You should get some instrumentation. It would give you instant feedback on your different technique. I use and recommend UltraGuage.
I am working on it. I want to get one before I do any of the planned mods to the truck to see just how everything is affected. Why do you recommend ultraguage over scangauge? Also, do I need to buy any special part or equipment to hook it up? How easy is calibration?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #51
MPG Enthusiast

Mikeyjd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am working on it. I want to get one before I do any of the planned mods to the truck to see just how everything is affected. Why do you recommend ultragauge over scangauge? Also, do I need to buy any special part or equipment to hook it up? How easy is calibration?
You can have 8 gauges per page (instead of 4) with the Ultra and it's half the money. It comes with a wire to hook up to your OBDII output under your steering wheel. It's easy to calibrate.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #52

Quote:
You can have 8 gauges per page (instead of 4) with the Ultra and it's half the money. It comes with a wire to hook up to your OBDII output under your steering wheel. It's easy to calibrate.
Sounds great! Yeah I have seen the SG... Size did not impress. What's their selling point? And I had no idea that was there. Sweet!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #53

Quote:

Okay, I am disappointed... I don't know what it could be but I hit 125 at the 1/4, (awesome, should have checked MPG there) and then at 202.1 miles I was about 1/8 inch from the half mark! Calculated straight from odo and pump, same pump same shutoff 22.95 MPG, adjusted for error = 22.55 MPG. So I gained about 1.8 MPG from Pulse and glide coupled with minimal idling. (When I started the truck I left within seconds, and cut it off as soon as I parked)

Was hoping at least 24.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #54
MPG Enthusiast

Mikeyjd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay, I am disappointed... I don't know what it could be but I hit 125 at the 1/4, (awesome, should have checked MPG there) and then at 202.1 miles I was about 1/8 inch from the half mark! Calculated straight from odo and pump, same pump same shutoff 22.95 MPG, adjusted for error = 22.55 MPG. So I gained about 1.8 MPG from Pulse and glide coupled with minimal idling. (When I started the truck I left within seconds, and cut it off as soon as I parked)

Was hoping at least 24.
It's hard to learn optimal technique without some form of instrumentation. Give time. 1.8 mpg is still like an 8% increase
Old 06-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #55
MPG Enthusiast

Mikeyjd's Tacoma Gallery
2014-06-13
539.9 mi
868.88 km
15.413 gal (US)
$3.89/Gallon ($59.96 total for this fill)
35.03 mpg (US)
6.71 L/100 km

This tank had 90 octane ethanol free. 90% Back roads. 40 mpg is the next tank goal.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #56
MPG Enthusiast

Mikeyjd's Tacoma Gallery
Before Side Skirts

Old inverted running boards used as a mount

After
Old 06-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Before Side Skirts

Old inverted running boards used as a mount

After

Nice!! Getting into the land I wouldn't go lol but sweet! You are really dedicated to this thing. Don't forget to post your gains from the ultragauge reading on the front! BTW, I have some interesting information for you... PM pending
Old 06-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #58

I am unsure what you are doing when you say you used inverted running boards as a mount and what you did between pictures. Could you explain?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #59
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Ever consider lowering the truck and remove the A/C unit (and power steering if you can). Also an e-fan with a in-cab speed control and higher pressure rad cap for more efficient cooling.
I removed both PS and AC along with a bunch of serpentine pulleys from my 2.7, and run just one simple short belt that only turns the alternator and water pump.

Last fillup was 25.5 mpg.

Greg
Old 06-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #60
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If I reach my goal of $2,500 saved per year (by doubling the EPA estimate of 16mpg) I will save $25,000 in the 10 years I plan on owning this truck. I figure this will allow me to purchase another rental property and continue to live mortgage free and debt free on a modest income. I enjoy the challenge of it and the savings that it brings. To each his own
Hey Mikey,

I'm one of those frugal guys too.
I saved up enough money over the years to built a modest home with no mortgage, and also live debt free on very little money. That's the American way.

Greg