1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEW MEMBER w/ Question: Difference in OFFROAD and SR5

Discussion in 'New Members' started by prametheus, May 22, 2014.

1. May 22, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    prametheus

prametheus [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey,

First and foremost, I apologize for the redundancy in this thread topic. I have been sifting through old threads and trying to find the answer but I still would like some clarification and some advice. What are the major differences between offroad and SR5? I am unsure which one to get so maybe you guys could offer me some recommendations.

I live in Jackson, WY and am way into skiing, climbing and biking. I plan on living in my truck as soon as I buy it. Going to buy a A/C 6 Speed. I will be driving on dirt roads for ski, climbing and biking access but I don't go "off roading". Mostly will be driving on city roads and mountain passes. I am currently looking at 2 trucks right now:

1: 2005 OFFROAD 100,000+ miles $15,500

2: 2009 SR5 20,000 miles $19,900

The price difference is pretty big, but I am willing to sack up and pay the extra for a newer truck. These are being offered from a dealer so I will be playing some hardball and will try to knock the prices down a bit. I will offer $10,500 for the '05 and maybe $16,000 for the '09.

So my new friends, what do you think?

Thanks,

Max

2. May 22, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    offroad has somewhat different suspension (if they are both stock), better seats, rear locker, bed outlet, etc from the TRD offroad package.

what you intend to do w/ the trucks makes a difference in need as well.

3. May 22, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    prametheus

prametheus [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey, I appreciate your response!!! Rear locker...? What is that? A bed outlet? So there is a power source in the bed on the off road? I am sorry for the idiotic questions, I am a total noob!

4. May 22, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    locker is a traction device for offroading. the 09 SR5 comes standard w/ an auto limited slip (brake controlled).

it is a very limited power source, but yes.

5. May 22, 2014 at 7:56 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    oh..and the 09+ have more features than the 05-08 as in traction controls, stability controls, active restraint headrests, side impact airbags, etc

6. May 22, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    As for pricing, don't be frustrated if the seller doesn't move much on the price. You'll find these trucks hold their value extremely well. I recently sold a 2011 TRD off-road with about 45k miles for about $24k. Doesn't hurt to try and negotiate though.

7. May 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    A rear locking differential splits drive power evenly between both rear tires. Otherwise, the standard (open) differential will divert power to the tire that spins the easiest (which makes steering easy).

Why is a locker good to have?: If you get just one of the rear tires on a patch of ice, snow, mud, sand... then just one tire will spin and you may not move. The locker will give the other tire just as much power and off you drive! Another benefit of the locker is climbing steep grades.

Only having four wheel drive is better than a rear locker... four wheel drive with a rear locker is even better!

Not as strong as a locker is LIMITED SLIP, and in 2009 all Tacomas got electronic/ brake created limited slip systems (called TRAC & AUTO LSD) also known as Traction Control.

If you ever go off pavement, or live in areas where there is snow, the rear locker is a great item, unless you get a 4WD. The 2009 + Tacomas with TRAC (and AUTO LSD) would be the next best choice, again unless you get a 4WD.

Products Discussed in

To Top