1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Howdy, New to Tacoma-been a Tundra guy for years

Discussion in 'New Members' started by LaFlamaBlanca55, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Jun 24, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    LaFlamaBlanca55

LaFlamaBlanca55 [OP] Eastbound and Down

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Just got a 2013 Double Cab Sport TRD 4x4 in January. First Taco. Had several Tundras over the last decade. I had the dealer check for any recalls, they said none currently. Any important TSB's or other info you would like to share? A little about me: Huge sense of humor....Avid Toyota fan....Generally like "stock" stuff with minor accesories but I may venture in the debadging and small lift scene with this one. Scared as hell I will ruin the ride of the truck. Thanks guys, Andy-Central Ohio

2. Jun 24, 2014 at 7:17 AM
    mattgecko

mattgecko The LED Lighting Guy. MattGeckoLEDs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB O.R. 4wd TRD Super Charged
    Welcome to TW and congrats on your new Tacoma!!

3. Jun 25, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    LaFlamaBlanca55

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    A little more on my truck, looks like I have the 4 leaf spring pack and I do have an ARE topper that does work with the OEM slide bedrail hooks. Seems like those are "current" topics I can offer input on. Any TSB's I need to be aware of? I havent driven it much but it seems like the "going to a stop- stop then surge forward" issue may be in my truck. Not entirely sure yet. Still drive my old '02 Tundra to work everyday and let it rack up the miles. Also, what is the suspension "lean" everyone talks about? Thanks guys!

4. Jun 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM
    ATLien

ATLien Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5
    Money Pit
    Coming from a Tundra, you may find that the leaf springs leave something to be desired... but then you start down the path towards a lift :)

Taco-lean is where the driver's side of the truck appears to be lower than the passenger side. The possible causes seem to be off-center placement of the gas tank and/or driver weight on one side. The TW solution seems to be a 1/4" spacer on the driver side front coil... again starting down the path towards a lift :)

5. Jun 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    field76

field76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bozeman
    Vehicle:
    2012 PM TRD OR DCAB
    Debadged, audio upgrade, silex organizers, AVS in channel window vents, 5100s on all corners with Wheelers 3 leaf HD AAL
    What he said

Welcome to TW! The suspension lean is a phenomenon noted in most tacos where the driver's side suspension is compressed a bit because of the additional weight of the battery and fuel tank being on the divers side. Most people remedy this situation by adding a small spacer on the top of their drive side coilover. My 2012 DCSB does not exhibit the lean to my eyes so I have done nothing.

6. Jun 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    LaFlamaBlanca55

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Seems like everyone on here has the DCSB, I bought a DCLB (6 footer). Just wondering why? I guess coming from a Tundra a super short bed scared me from a cargo standpoint. I carry alot of gear for my RZR and go camping alot....It is a long MF'er though....

7. Jun 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM
    LaFlamaBlanca55

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    You hit the nail on the head! This truck is screaming lift me but Im so scared I'll screw the integrity of the ride up. 3" is about all I'd be willing to go. I want to do it right and keep the driveline wear to a minimum. I also want to keep the rollover risk low as my wife may drive it from time to time (she's nuts)....
    OI know I'm opening a huge can of worms but any lift advice on doing it without shortcut and without doing permanently would be appreciated....

Also, where can I get a black emblem for my grille and shlit can the chrome one? Also, different color TRD emblems that dont scream in ALL CAPS at people by contrasting the color of my truck? Thanks guys....

8. Jun 25, 2014 at 1:12 PM
    LaFlamaBlanca55

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    What I meant was rear bed decals not trd emblems in a different color.....

9. Jun 26, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    ATLien

ATLien Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5
    Money Pit
    There's tons of lift options out there, but whatever you do, stay away from spacers and blocks. I have a spacer and it sucks - I'll be redoing my lift when my tires run out of tread.

As a quick summary, here's a quick overview of some suspension lifts from cheapest to most expensive - usually from worst to best performing offroad.

Bilstein 5100's

Toyotech

Old Man Emu

Icon/King/Fox

You'll need a new leaf pack or an add-a-leaf in the back (I'd recommend a new leaf pack). You'll also likely want new Upper Control Arms to ensure you'll have good alignment with the added height. As long as you stay under 3" (all of the above are 1-3"), you shouldn't run into too many issues.

There's many threads and opinions on why brand x is better than brand y, so you'll have to read up and pick one for your needs.

Then you can start thinking about larger tires...

Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top