Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

To buy or not to buy

Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
nevans2010 is on a distinguished road

nevans2010's Tacoma Gallery
To buy or not to buy

Hey Everyone, Hope you don't mind me medling in your forum. Here's the deal. I currently own a 2010 4Runner and am looking to trade it in for a 2010 Taco. The Taco is priced at around $21k with 84k on the odo and is a TRD Off Road. First I feel like I can get at least 200k out of this truck as I maintain the hell out of my vehicles, and I will be buying this to be more of a winter/fun truck. Will be buying a project car for summer time in the years to come.

My question is, when looking at this truck with 84k on it, what are some typical issues you guys have come across by this age? What should I be looking for specifically to make sure I'm not replacing anything expensive as I drive off the lot? And does this seem like a fair price for this Taco? It's in the Chicagoland area, Naperville to be exact.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Nick
Old 06-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Frame rust
Any codes
3 or 4 leaf pack in the rear
Does it drive straight
Any vibes from take off to 70 mph
Any vibes in 2H that go away in 4H (4wd only)
I would assume mostly highway miles with it being a 2010, look for leaks in the rear diff, front diff, t-case, tranny, look at the radiator for leaks, it probably needs a new battery. See If there is any maintenance history
Old 06-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevans2010 View Post
Hey Everyone, Hope you don't mind me medling in your forum. Here's the deal. I currently own a 2010 4Runner and am looking to trade it in for a 2010 Taco. The Taco is priced at around $21k with 84k on the odo and is a TRD Off Road. First I feel like I can get at least 200k out of this truck as I maintain the hell out of my vehicles, and I will be buying this to be more of a winter/fun truck. Will be buying a project car for summer time in the years to come.

My question is, when looking at this truck with 84k on it, what are some typical issues you guys have come across by this age? What should I be looking for specifically to make sure I'm not replacing anything expensive as I drive off the lot? And does this seem like a fair price for this Taco? It's in the Chicagoland area, Naperville to be exact.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Nick
You truck will just barely be broken in at the 200k mark.I have crossed 300k on two toyota pickups, working on it on my first Tacoma. Not sure about the price. What does KKB and Edmunds TMV list the truck for?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Check for wear that would leave you to believe more miles are on it. Odo takes a minute to unhook on these trucks.

Frame will rust out quick so check it as others have said.

Wheel bearings will go soon if not already changed and same with the lower control arm cam bolts and bushings.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
Mttsgtr99 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Mttsgtr99's Tacoma Gallery
I am a Technician for a Toyota dealer here in PA. I've seen a lot of differnt style toyotas "car SUV trucks. With 200k - 600k.
Still running strong on original engine and trans. Of coarse you still got your regular maintence. Keep up on that and it will last. Don't forget about frame sprays. Wouldn't hurt on any of them. It helps. Ecspecially trucks an SUV
I own a 2007 Tacoma love it
Old 06-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely do a carfax. Frame inspection, maintenance history.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
nevans2010 is on a distinguished road

nevans2010's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll take all this into consideration.