1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Post + Use Questions

Discussion in 'New Members' started by TacomaWork, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Jun 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    TacomaWork

TacomaWork [OP] New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '14 4x4 6-speed Manual
    Greetings all from PA!

I am not only new to this site but to the world of the Tacoma in general. I just got mine a few months ago. It's a 2014 4.0L V6 6-Speed Manual Access Cab with TRD package.

The main reason I bought a Tacoma was financial reasons. A higher end light truck was more practical than a lower end full size pickup. Although I bought this truck for work I use it as a personal commuting vehicle as well.

So, onto my questions :D

What sort of work can I reasonably expect to accomplish with the Tacoma? It's still really new so I haven't used it for work yet. The jobs I do consist of general labor, light contracting, transporting, landscaping, etc. I'm mostly residential and light commercial, otherwise I would have had to buy a heavy duty pickup. How much am I really losing my not having a full size (if not heavy duty) pickup?

Plowing snow, can I even do it and if so, am I restricted to residential (personal) plows only (ex: Western Suburbanite) or could I get away with a halfton (ex: Western HTS)? Additionally, tailgate spreaders are possibly pushing it?

Otherwise, in terms of my tools and job materials I should be okay. I'm just hoping that I don't end up biting more than I can chew workload wise with my truck.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  2. Jul 1, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
  3. Jul 1, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    Zbest

Zbest New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack B
    nelliston, ny
    Vehicle:
    07 Beast
    Toytec 3" boss lift with LR uca, bilstien 5160 in rear with the add a leaf, Afe cai and 3" exhaust, Anytime fog light mod, rear diff breather mod, debadged.
    Your tacoma will do everything to need it to do, except tow 10,000 pounds it just won't be effective. The bed can hold a good amount of weight I've had a ton or so in my bed and was fine.

4. Jul 1, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The Tacoma's tailgate is pretty weak and can bend easily. The tailgate spreader needs to be mounted directly to the frame or tow hitch, and not simply strapped around the tailgate.

5. Jul 2, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    TacomaWork

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '14 4x4 6-speed Manual
    Thanks for the responses folks.

The main reason I even wanted to ask is because whenever I went to a snow plow manufacturers website and searched for a plow based on my trucks specs I was told the following:

-The plows would be better suited for a regular cab versus my access cab due to weight restrictions
    -The only plow to reasonably suit my truck would be for personal driveway use (not practical for commercial use)
    -Hopper spreaders would be too heavy and I would need a tailgate spreader, if not do it by hand with a push style one.

But again, I'm not some huge landscaping outfitter (otherwise I'd have the funds to buy large commercial duty trucks). I'm just a contractor with a few clients so a small residential plow would probably get me by even if some larger parking lots take a little bit longer to accomplish.

As long as I can confirm that a plow of any size in general is safe on my truck.

As far as the tailgate spreader having to be on a hitch or on the frame. I agree, just jumping in and out of my bed I've noticed the tailgate to be a bit soft. Thanks for the heads up.

Any other general tips/advice/whatever will not fall on empty ears!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  6. Jul 2, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Is this plow big enough for you? http://www.meyerproducts.com/plows/driveprocontractor.aspx

The Tacoma can handle it, since the plow won't push the truck past GVWR. However, you will need to replace the front springs with much stiffer ones to avoid too much rake.

To put things in perspective, the heavier off-road plate bumpers + winch together are under 200 lbs, while the plow is 350-400 lbs and hanging further out.

7. Jul 6, 2014 at 4:56 AM
    TacomaWork

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '14 4x4 6-speed Manual
    That plow actually looks perfect for the type of work I'm looking for.

Now in terms of rake as you mentioned, is it truly necessary that I upgrade my springs? Would a little ballast, either from sand or something in the bed do the trick as well, perhaps with the weight of my tailgate spreader as well.

Obviously if it is important to change the springs I will but I'm wondering how to approach the dealership with this request. Actually, I'm wondering if they'll even allow plowing without voiding my warranty now.

8. Jul 6, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    Problems would be bed space and towing. Of course, a full size truck's bed is wider and about the same length. Also, just wouldn't be able to haul as much in the bed. But I have a first gen and I've had much more weight beyond the recommended limit and it handled it just fine. So you should be good there. Same for towing. New ones with the max trailering package can tow up to 6,100 lbs. Again, should be fine for you since you do light work.

Products Discussed in

To Top