1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noob (but longtime lurker) "hi there!" post (kinda long intro)

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Pandito, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Oct 3, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    Pandito

Pandito [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    San Francisco, CA / Modesto, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5 TRD DCSB
    Morning y'all! Longtime lurker to TW but I think I'm ready to commit to joining the online family. Here's Bobby, my '01 PreRunner SR5 DCSB TRD w/ tow package, 155K (currently). Bought him earlier this year. Funny story, actually. I really wasn't looking at buying a truck and I had my heart (and my wallet) set on a Tesla. Was browsing Craigslist one day (Monday) and came across the post for this (now my) Tacoma. Looked at it and immediately closed the window since I got "the feeling" and my 3-day big-boy-toy rule kicked in. Re-did the search a couple days later (Wed) and lo and behold, he was still there. And the price had dropped. Finally decided I would wait a little longer just to see if I had the same feelings. 2 days later (Fri), still there. And even lower price. Took it as a sign and went to the dealer on Saturday with my mom and our family mechanic. Mech looked it over and was absolutely astounded at how clean everything was. The only thing she was concerned about was that the rear main seals looked like it needed to be done.

Did the haggle thing with the dealer and bought Bobby no less than an hour and a half later. Dealer agreed to do the rear main seals but keep the price at the same advertised amount. The alternative was he takes off $150 and I do it myself. No brainer there. Cost? $9K.

Got Bobby home for a deep inspection. Turns out the transmission was rebuilt by Toyota, under warranty, several years ago. The people who had it before me (I'm the third owner, according to CarFax) did all the expensive customizing for me: grill guard (front and back) and pre-wiring for more off-road lights, steps (which I kinda want to replace with something more...minimal), power moonroof, custom sound (he has custom wiring for subs and amps (amps are still there; no sub, though.)), satellite and GPS antennae installed, FlowMaster modified intake and dual exhausts, and the bed liner.

There were a couple things I needed to address: 1.) no grab handle on the driver's A-pillar; 2.) no remote for the VIP system; 3.) the tires needed to be replaced - they were almost bald. Wasn't crazy about the wheels either; 4.) gas cap missing; 5.) Radio looks to be a downgraded replacement from the one that was used with satellite and GPS; 6.) headlights were REALLY oxidized. Small gripes, though - 1 and 2 were solved with a visit to Rancho Toyota Recycling (after researching in the TW forums); 3 with a search on CL; 4 with a trip to Wally World. 5 is in progress. Actually, I need to find a radio shop that can evaluate exactly WHAT is installed, audio-wise so I can buy the "correct" unit; 6.) Amazon. Though I am looking to doing the projector retrofit with the TW GB.

All in all, I think I came out ahead in the end (routine maintenance aside). In the 3 months since I signed the papers, I can unequivocally say that I am in love with my Taco. Thank you all for the help (when I was a lurker, that is) as I was researching if I wanted to truly get this Taco.

[​IMG]

2. Oct 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Welcome to TW :wave:

Products Discussed in

To Top