1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie here

Discussion in 'New Members' started by DIYReefer, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Oct 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    DIYReefer

DIYReefer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lebanon Oh
    Vehicle:
    2015 double cab long bed
    Brand new and no mods yet
    Hello all,

As of last week I became a new owner of a 2015 Tacoma Double Cab L/B TRD sport!

This truck has been a long time coming. I spent about six months traveling in New Zealand back in the winter of 93/94 and there were many double cab toyota trucks around. At this time I owned a single cab 4x4 short bed and loved that truck. Also I don't think there were many if any in the US at that time.

The double cabs I had seen were all 85 to 90 models, I loved them and said to myself, I'll buy one of those some day.

Well fast forward 20 years and here it is. ( once I figure out were to share pictures from ill post it )

The only thing that has bothered me is the dealer I went to. I walked in wanting a TRD pro or Off Road. The dealer informed me that the off road model was no longer available and it was the sport or the pro.

The pro was a little more than I wanted to spend on a mid size truck.

After lurking around here for the last few days it looks as if the off road is still available and I was lied too.

Also what's the big difference between the sport and O/R models other than tires and rims as far as I a can tell?

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. Oct 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    DIYReefer

Member:
    Lebanon Oh
    Vehicle:
    2015 double cab long bed
    I finally set up TW on tap-a-talk to make it easier to upload pictures.
    u5a6uzer_cdad3b5967c4a89756d6e019ada0306e9699ea64.jpg

I'm having it ziebarted and under coated this week also window tinting.

I haven't decided how dark I want to go with the tinting. I live in Ohio and there was a law passed many years ago on how dark your allowed to tint.

Has any Buckeyes on here had issues tinting darker than the legal limit?

3. Oct 12, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    AndyTaco

AndyTaco ACLBFTMW

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Waco, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 ACLB V6
    "Raptor Style" grill mod, aftermarket wheels, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities, TRD Shoulder pads on seat belts, no mud flaps, AVS Hoodflector bug shield *removed*, Dee Zee Ultrablack Bull Bar w/ license plate mount, dipped my fuel door for no reason, N-Fab Spare tire mount w/ full size matching spare, dipped eyelids onto my headlights for no reason, dipped my hood for no reason
    Looks great! Welcome to TW :wave:

4. Oct 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM
    Andres

Andres Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road
    Congrats bro!

5. Oct 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM
    DIYReefer

Member:
    Lebanon Oh
    Vehicle:
    2015 double cab long bed
    Thanks guys! I was in a huge toss up between the pro or the sport. After spending some time on the forum here. I now realize why my dealer said they didn't make the off road any longer, was the fact that I couldn't get a long bed in the off road package. But I could have Special ordered the pro in long bed. It was going to sticker around 43k.

6. Oct 12, 2014 at 9:41 PM
    DIYReefer

Member:
    Lebanon Oh
    Vehicle:
    2015 double cab long bed
    I'm a whitewater guide in the east and I do go off road quite a bit. But I'm not getting myself into sticky situations. More just getting in and out of the rivers.

7. Oct 12, 2014 at 9:47 PM
    DIYReefer

Member:
    Lebanon Oh
    Vehicle:
    2015 double cab long bed
    With not to much off roading I'm still wanting to level the truck out. Put a little larger tire on it. Add skid guards and a cap with racks. I needed the long bed to be able to sleep in there let alone carry more gear.
    I have read thread after thread trying to find the best leveling kit and what size tire to go with without losing to many mpg.
    The archive on this site is so vast it's kind of hard to search for a specific thing.
    If anybody knows the best leveling kit available please post.

8. Oct 13, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    AndyTaco

AndyTaco ACLBFTMW

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Waco, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 ACLB V6
    "Raptor Style" grill mod, aftermarket wheels, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities, TRD Shoulder pads on seat belts, no mud flaps, AVS Hoodflector bug shield *removed*, Dee Zee Ultrablack Bull Bar w/ license plate mount, dipped my fuel door for no reason, N-Fab Spare tire mount w/ full size matching spare, dipped eyelids onto my headlights for no reason, dipped my hood for no reason
    Not sure about the leveling kit, so can't help you there :( Are you really tall? I feel like a regular bed should still be long enough to sleep in.. Not sure though. I have a long bed access cab.

9. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:44 AM
    DIYReefer

Member:
    Lebanon Oh
    Vehicle:
    2015 double cab long bed
    Yea, I'm 6'3" so the 5' bed was out of the question. Many times when I come rolling in for a weekend adventure I leave Thursday night and roll into my area around 1 am. I want to be able to just crawl into the bed and snooze. I've done my share of raising tents in the dark and rain. Getting to old for that. I looked into the Flip-pac camper shell. They are very cool but ugly as hell.

Products Discussed in

To Top