1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEW TRUCK/NEW MEMBER what's next?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by TRDalex, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Oct 26, 2014 at 10:31 AM
    TRDalex

TRDalex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Nothing Yet
    thanks for the advise. "There is a TSB out that will reflash your ecm and make it stop." saaay whaaat? lol sorry man i don't know what that means. can you go into depth? thanks.

2. Oct 26, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    TRDalex

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Nothing Yet
    i love terence and philip! lol thanks glad to be here. i already knew who you where before i made my account. thanks for the comment

3. Oct 26, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    TRDalex

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Nothing Yet
    nice truck you got there thanks for sharing the photos brother.

4. Oct 26, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Member:
    I'm new as well, purchased a 2014 DCSB OR last June. Love the truck! I added Weathertech mats and Wet Okoles first. Shell, racks, lift, bumpers to come.

5. Oct 26, 2014 at 11:35 AM
    TRDalex

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Nothing Yet
    thanks you sir you are awesome! do you suggest i go out and start trying these combinations of modes by turning stuff on or off? is there away to potentially mess up the truck by engaging a mode at the wrong time or in the wrong order?

my thoughts:

for every day road driving H2 with VSC on.

when i get on a trail, snow, or any lose foundation with VSC still on i set it to h4.

if whats in front of me gets really bad with VSC still on i set it to L4 and engage ATRAC.

all these modes and be engaged while moving.

if stuck in any mode im in engage locker.

downhill descent control i take is when im going down a very steep hill. maybe while im attached to a trailer or hauling something down hill. not sure what drive mode ill be in, or have gave it much thought.

and the 9 different drive modes, and when to take it out of drive besides to park and reverse, forget about it! i only know theres 9 because of the helpful links you provided.

sorry if you answered my way of thinking already. i just learn best from asking questions. if you can interject on these thought it will be much appreciated. thanks

6. Oct 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    TRDalex

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Nothing Yet
    hey welcome. mines cames with a all weather type floor mats. Wet Okoles huh? my dad mentioned i should get some seat covers. is Wet Okoles the go to brand?

7. Oct 26, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    Welcome, I'm pretty new on here myself, but I've picked up a lot of good tips on this site even before I joined. There are a lot of Tacoholics on here and an abundance of good humor.

8. Oct 26, 2014 at 2:07 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Since 2012, there are 10 modes!!! :eek:

By explaining it all, it makes it sound really complicated... and sadly there is no avoiding that if you want to be informed.

The standard mode the truck is in will be fine except in L4 (low range), and that should be with A-TRAC on or active... press the button the first time you use L4. This really puts your truck far ahead of any other stock truck without A-TRAC.

A-TRAC only works if you lose traction, so you will keep moving. It only works for seconds typically... so don't worry about over-heating the brakes.

The VSC button controls the traction levels in H2 and H4. There is no VSC in L4 (VSC is a higher speed safety feature, and you won't be going fast in low range).

Press quickly the VSC button in H2 or H4 if there is wheel spin the standard TRAC doesn't get you out of. Pressing the button quickly turns off the engine regulation, so you have more power to the tires, if needed. VSC goes off up to 30 mph then comes back on, automatically.

To manually turn off VSC for any speed is to also turn off the traction control. I see no reason to do this unless you want to spin your tires, and not hear the beep-beep-beep alert that your system is working to keep you driving straight ahead. You can turn off the VSC by stopping the truck, then press and hold in the VSC button until the light comes on (about 3-5 seconds). All settings go back to normal mode when you restart the truck, or you drive in a dangerous manner.

The locker only works in L4.

DAC is fun but scary for some, as you don't touch the brake while it safely takes you down a steep, rocky grade (only works in L4). No, not for trailering.

If you click on the traction controls explained link in my sig, it may help. However, if anything is not clear, I am happy to answer! Enjoy your truck!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    camw510 likes this.
  9. Oct 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM
    TXTaco13

TXTaco13 Taco/T4R Enthusiast

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    For sure man. Some people are experiencing "pinging" or pre-detonation when their truck is under load. It sounds like a rattling sound from the engine compartment or a bag of marbles being shaken around 1500 rpm range. Typically this happens when it is warmer out, some people don't notice it. If you notice it, you just take your truck into the dealer and they install an update to your electronic control module in your truck, and it fixes the issue. I had the "tsb" done and it stopped pinging and the transmission shifted smoother. Here it is:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...14-feedback-engine-ecm-reprogram-pinging.html

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  10. Oct 26, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    TRDalex

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Nothing Yet
    welcome. yes there is! ive learned a lot all ready

11. Oct 27, 2014 at 7:39 AM
    TRDalex

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Nothing Yet

hey thanks for that! ill keep an ear out for any noise

12. Oct 27, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    TRDalex

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Nothing Yet

10 modes!?!? :( from the link in your signature I took away that there's 9 modes. "UP TO NINE DRIVE MODES"
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...-controls-trac-auto-lsd-trac-rear-locker.html

thanks you brought on some clarity. still not 100%. in shortof someone holding my hand and showing me. ive been trying to find a break downof all modes, and then a example of when to use it.

how about the down shifting to 3, 2, and 2L ?when would his need to take place, and do they go hand and hand with any ofthese modes such as L4, VSC, ATRAC, H2, DAC, or anything of the sort.

I don't want to seem needed, but beside each drive mode if you can provide a brief example or scenario of when to engage that mode it would be great, and I promise I wont bother you any more haha. im already more then enough grateful that you came across my thread and dropped some knowledge. :bowdown:

Or is this pretty much that:
    1) Normal street driving: H2 TRAC ON and VSC is on.
    2) Slippery conditions, to get moving from a stuck: H2 AUTO LSD ON (VSC is off under 30 mph). Press VSC button once while moving or stopped.
    3) Spinning tires prefered: H2 VSC OFF/ TRAC OFF. Press and hold down VSC button 3+ seconds, while stopped.
    4) Loose dirt, sand, snow: H4 TRAC ON and VSC is on.
    5) Spinning tires prefered, off pavement: H4 VSC OFF/ TRAC OFF. Press and hold down VSC button 3+ seconds, while stopped.
    6) Spinning tires prefered with low gearing torque: L4 (with A-TRAC off)
    7) Steep grades, large rocks, deep mud, severe traction conditions: L4 with A-TRAC ON. Press A-TRAC button once.
    8) Spinning tires in front only: L4 with REAR DIFFERENTIAL LOCKED.
    9) L4 REAR LOCKED and A-TRAC ON. A-TRAC comes on automatically when speed drops to under 3 mph to provide front traction to get you going, again.

camw510 likes this.
  13. Oct 27, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Member:
    From what I've read on TW, yes. They fit like a glove, are well built, but they are pricey. I almost went with the Costco brand Coverking but decided to go with what most on TW recommend. I've only had them for a few weeks but so far so good. Got 20% off on the TW group buy. Great customer service!

14. Oct 27, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    TRDalex

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Nothing Yet
    sweet! what color did you get? did you get the back seats as well?

15. Oct 27, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    In 2012, Toyota added TRAC OFF in H4 (no engine output regulation) as a select-able mode instead of being the standard mode. The standard mode in H4 since 2012 is TRAC with regulation. This is the 10th mode... and fits between your #4 and #5. 2009-2011 all have TRAC without regulation, and it is awesome. I have not experienced TRAC with regulation in H4.

Your list looks sound to me... you have graduated my class of traction controls! LOL

Now, go play with your new Toy!!!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  16. Oct 28, 2014 at 6:10 AM
    TRDalex

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Nothing Yet
    Ahh noted. Thanks.

Thanks again professor! If I ever find myself in the Baja area ill give you a shout.

17. Oct 28, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    kevin.95

kevin.95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Kennesaw, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB Sport 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's, Tint, Skids, Speakers, OEM Roof Rack, Westin Brush Guard, HID Offroad lights, Fog Light Anytime Mod, Stealth Customs Matte Gunmetal w/ Kenda MT's, Relentless Fab Bed Bars w/ yakima cargo rack
    whats next is you end up spending hours upon hours on this site getting endless ideas and you end up broke as hell but with a bad ass truck

18. Oct 28, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Yup... it could happen! :eek::cool:

19. Oct 28, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    COVA Tacoma

COVA Tacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    FoCo
    Vehicle:
    Sick 15 Tacoma
    Dakkar/OME 3", Murder Tint, ARB Front, Mod Body Armor out back
    Nice truck, and there is no better time to mod your truck than when it's new. Had my old one for 14 years and never touched it. My 2015 was lifted with 500 miles on it, because I know I'm a procrastinator. Good luck with all this new studf!

20. Oct 29, 2014 at 7:12 AM
    TRDalex

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Nothing Yet
    at least ill have a bad ass truck!! greetings from McDonough, GA.

Products Discussed in

To Top