1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to get in the 4 wheelin game!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by G1230, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Dec 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    G1230

G1230 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garret
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hello everyone,

Im from a family who loves to build 4x4 trucks. My dad has 1971 bronco that we worked on it for long time. It has the 302 engine, 5.5" lift along with 35" tires along with other many modifications. So I have always wanted to get my own 1st gen tacoma and build it to be a DD and trail rig.

I have mazdaspeed3 car myself, while it is very fun to drive. I always have been craving to get into the 4x4 game! Since I am 19 years old, I don't really have that much disposable income myself, so my future build will be budget oriented for sure.

I will try my best to read up as much as I can and gain the knowledge about tacoma before buying my own! :)

2. Dec 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    AndyTaco

AndyTaco ACLBFTMW

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Waco, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 ACLB V6
    "Raptor Style" grill mod, aftermarket wheels, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities, TRD Shoulder pads on seat belts, no mud flaps, AVS Hoodflector bug shield *removed*, Dee Zee Ultrablack Bull Bar w/ license plate mount, dipped my fuel door for no reason, N-Fab Spare tire mount w/ full size matching spare, dipped eyelids onto my headlights for no reason, dipped my hood for no reason
    Welcome to the site!

3. Dec 20, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    Mully

Mully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4x4 Lifted Sport
    Lifted, Kings, Locked, 295s and more.
    Welcome, here is my truck and Jeep.

image.jpg

4. Dec 20, 2014 at 7:01 PM
    Mully

Mully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4x4 Lifted Sport
    Lifted, Kings, Locked, 295s and more.
    MOAB!

image.jpg

5. Dec 20, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    G1230

G1230 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garret
    Santa Fe, NM
    Thanks!

6. Dec 20, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    G1230

G1230 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garret
    Santa Fe, NM
    thanks! Your rigs look sick!

7. Dec 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    MOAB!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I would say try not to be cheap on this kind of stuff, but if youre 19 and just building your first rig and are on a budget (I know I was all three things at one point as well) then inevitably you will try to save pennies and make a few mistakes...but thats all part of the learning process to figure out what exactly you want to build out of a rig. There are a host of different directions you can take with a vehicle like this that fit what you enjoy. The task is finding that thing. My advise is go out with people with some different built rigs and see what kind of driving/adventure style you might like. It can also help when selecting the initial vehicle purchase as well.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  8. Dec 20, 2014 at 8:42 PM
    G1230

G1230 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garret
    Santa Fe, NM
    @IDtrucks; Your taco definitely looks like a beast! haha, yeah, thanks for the advices. I definitely won't be cheap when it comes to significant parts like supension, lift, armors, winch etc.. It is just that I wouldn't go crazy with it, you know?

Yeah, I am trying to find the initial vehicle that I like, which is 3rd gen 4runner or 1st gen tacoma. I like how 4runner has more interior space, comfort, and noticeably cheaper than a tacoma. But I love the look of a tacoma and the truck bed can be useful when I go to camping or load my Polaris atv on (Not a big deal since I could get utility trailer for 4runner).Both of them has its pros and cons, which is hard bleh haha.

I am still saving up and waiting for a right one to come along. I would definitely want a 3.4 v6, trd package, decent mileage probably less than 150k. But yeah, I am trying to read up many others' build and see where it fits my style and go from there.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  9. Dec 20, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    n.gardner

n.gardner Spacer Hater

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4
    OME 3" 887s + Dakars 1" 4 Crawler BL Pro-Comp Uniballs Nitrochargers + Super Bumps Diff Drop + Drive Shaft Drop
    TACO WORLD!

Products Discussed in

To Top