1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carbon fiber Tacoma parts, your thoughts.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by 6th Element, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Jan 6, 2015 at 12:57 PM
    TheStevo

TheStevo Baja Taco Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevo
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    MAGNETO
    TC +3.5 LT, Fox COs, King Bypasses, DTF SUA w/ 3x18 Quad bypass, Fox Air Bumps, Method 17" NVs, 35s, Relentless Fab custom tube bumper, skids, & sliders, lots of LEDs
    I think there's possibly potential for CF parts, but I can't imagine them being affordable for the majority. High-quality CF items are extremely expensive...but would certainly be curious to see what you can create and for how much.

2. Mar 10, 2015 at 2:43 PM
    alphabravo

alphabravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    The top carbon fiber or 3D printed items I am interested in:
    1. grill
    2. hood
    3. interior carling switch panel mounting on the headliner behind the map light
    4. panel centered on top of the dash for carling switches or wide band gauges
    5. interior bolt in kick panels or door panels with standard aftermarket speaker openings/enclosures.
    6. tool chest to fit in the bed behind the wheel and below the top of the bed

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. Mar 10, 2015 at 7:06 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Op posted and never returned. I guess he thought better of it.

4. Mar 11, 2015 at 10:32 AM
    2004TacomaNavy

2004TacomaNavy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oak Harbor, WA.
    Vehicle:
    04 Extra Cab 4X4 SR5
    All Pro rock sliders, U-Bolt flip kit, Shock mount relocation tabs, All Pro Billy 3" lift front and back, 2014 Tundra Bed Rail tie down system, Fuel 17X8.5 Wheels on 32's, LED front light bar, Raptor style grill W/lights, Tinted Headlights w/LEDs, ARB Dual Air Compressor W/ 2 Gal. Tank, Smoked Tail Lights, Double Din Sat radio w/ back-up camera, Redline Hood Struts, ARB Dual air compressor W/ 20 Gal. air tank, Sig P320C Security System!
    A carbon fiber hood and scoop would be great!

5. May 2, 2015 at 4:53 AM
    jonny8990

jonny8990 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    TN/KU
    Vehicle:
    12 Dcsb
    Icons up front kings in the rear, Dakar leafs,archive shackle flip, TG front and ATO HC rear bumper, ARB diff breather and lockers, 35s.
    I know this is a fairly old post but cf parts are pretty easy to make. I paint match everything or do a dry fiber look to engine parts or interior pieces to separate myself from the tuner crowd. Just make a mold and experiment.

6. May 2, 2015 at 5:43 AM
    05tacopreruner

05tacopreruner Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrett
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco Prerunner
    bilsteins, 33s, toolbox, trailer brake controller
    For anything structural you'll need core in the middle of the plies of CF.

and by structural I mean something like fenders, or anything that would need to support itself. Another possibility is add some unidirectional CF to give it more flexural strength in a certain direction, this would go towards the middle of the laminate rotate the direction 0, 45, 90, -45, 0.

Of the glass fenders I've seen the weave style panels are pretty hefty in thickness yet are still floppy when driving on the street. The hood I've seen was made using the chopped mat with resin and sprayed into the mold. It was super flimsy, but a couple plies of CF could have been layed on it both front and back to help with its rigidity.

7. May 3, 2015 at 12:14 AM
    jonny8990

jonny8990 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    TN/KU
    Vehicle:
    12 Dcsb
    Icons up front kings in the rear, Dakar leafs,archive shackle flip, TG front and ATO HC rear bumper, ARB diff breather and lockers, 35s.
    I definitely agree with you 05tacopreruner. Fiber glass can be used in a lot of applications if you steer clear of the heavy matting and go with thin fabric sheets doing a ten or so wet ply layup with fiber glass then following up with a few sheets of carbon at maybe 0 45 and 90. If you do about 8 layers of thin quality carbon using 0, 45, 90, and -45 under vacuum that should be rivaling steel fenders for strength.

8. May 5, 2015 at 10:04 AM
    alphabravo

alphabravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    I think you could also use internal voids to create stiffness and strength sort of how the metal hoods are designed. The metal is thin but the top and bottom skin are separated by a space.

9. May 5, 2015 at 10:08 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:

Yes to everything in bold! Number 5 I would buy right now if it existed. I LOVE carbon fiber.

10. May 9, 2015 at 3:27 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    Never really cared for the carbon fiber look.

11. Jun 11, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off-Road V6
    All the mods
    I'd be interested in a CF hood to save a few pounds.

Products Discussed in

To Top