1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kids with tacomas

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Jion671, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Feb 1, 2015 at 3:06 AM
    Jion671

Jion671 [OP] Member

Member:
    Greetings pro taco-ers. Just bought my 2014 November 2014(clearance sale). I've already purchased ome roof rack, and a full rubberized bars. I have two boys and they barely can get up the truck at stock height. I've already pre orders my stealth sr8 17x8.5. Here is my question. What's the max I can go without lifting? Also, if I lift, I plan to do a level kit, I don't want to destroy the truck or make it a high maintenance vehicle, what is a pratical level kit without reducing the maintenance?
    I drive this daily, Trd doublecab. I don't off road, just want it to look like a truck:) thanks!!

2. Feb 1, 2015 at 5:05 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Confused....Are you looking for Max tire size without lifting?

3. Feb 1, 2015 at 5:09 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Welcome! I love the SR8's :jellydance: :drool:
    As far as lift goes, spend some good money and do it right and it will be better than stock! No more maintenance lifted than stock of you're doing the same type of driving.

4. Feb 1, 2015 at 5:29 AM
    ERMB

ERMB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Land Cruiser
    Well, I've got three kids and 3 in lift and 33's. Kids don't know the difference between stock height and lifted. If it's going to be comfortable for you, then go with it.
    As for if you want to lift it, follow everyone's advice and stay away from a level kit. You'll encounter ill effects from that later on down the road like flattened leafs and excessive play in the steering wheel.
    Go with a bilstein adjustable shock. After all said and done it's barely more expensive than a decent leveling kit. Only side effects are better ride comfort and handling. :D
    I speak from experience because I'm redoing my spacer lift right now.:) it hasn't been horrible but I have seen some issues starting to develop. My springs have actually gone past flat so I installed ride rite airbags for towing. My front coils have sagged significantly since installed. Probably close to an inch, and lately I've been experiencing lots of play in the steering wheel. If I had done it right the first time I would have saved alot of money in time parts and labor costs since I'm not the most automobile maintenance inclined.
    Hope this helps, and +1 for you making a great choice on wheels, very nice!
    Best of luck
    -Scott

5. Feb 1, 2015 at 5:30 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    He said he bought an OME kit, that's pretty high quality IMO.

6. Feb 1, 2015 at 5:32 AM
    ERMB

ERMB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Land Cruiser
    Think he meant oem (roof rack)

7. Feb 1, 2015 at 5:34 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Hmm, I think you're right.

Welcome op

:spy:

8. Feb 2, 2015 at 6:25 AM
    Jion671

Jion671 [OP] Member

Member:
    First of, thank you for the replies!
    It's my first truck so wheel, tires, lifts and level kits are all new to me.
    A friend did say that a level kit would be best to buy but since mentioning that it will cost me more money in the long run, I might just go with a2-3" lift kit.
    The truck only has 2k miles on it, so getting approval from wife is a challenge. (Need to bribe her with brand bags first lol)
    The rims will be shipped from March, so I have the time to figure out what I need to get.
    I may just run the rims without the lift kit first, save some cash and get me high end lift kits next. My 7 yr old has been asking me to buy LED lights on the roof, but that would be after the lift is completed.
    Again, thank you guys for your Infos.
    I can't seem to find sr8 on tacomas pics on line... On stock height and lifted...
    Would be nice to see how they look..

9. Feb 2, 2015 at 6:36 AM
    ERMB

ERMB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Land Cruiser
    Bilstein has some good kits available and they are coming out with a nice new coilover design too. All of which are seemingly cost effective. I paid 360 for a Readylift kit, and could have got a set of billies and add-a-leaf for about 60 bucks more. Would have been so much better, but live and learn.:)
    As for the SR8's, check out the group buy thread. I've seen lots of pics of both in there. If you search SR8, it should be one of the first threads to pop up.

10. Feb 2, 2015 at 8:30 AM
    Over da Hill

Over da Hill "Roads...where we're going we don't need roads"

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    15 Black Taco 4WD DC SB SC
    Supercharger, Icon stage 3 suspension, Pelfreybilt Armor, All-Pro Sliders & Leaf Pack, 17 inch Black Rhino Sidewinder wheels, 33 inch Toyo tires, Rigid Lighting, SPod,
  11. Feb 2, 2015 at 12:52 PM
    Jion671

Jion671 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thank you guys so much! I would've ended up buying/installed a level kit if I never posted on this site. I will read more about bilstein products. I'm assuming that lift kits require other parts in order to properly lift the truck? Ide rather spend now and drive my truck to the shop because something breaks down from my upgrades.

12. Feb 2, 2015 at 8:54 PM
    MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pork Rind Extraordinaire

Member:
    53 Miles West of Venus
    Many & varied
    I bought my '13 TRD sport in December. I have a nearly 4yo and another arriving in the Spring. Wife is 5'2". They struggle getting in truck at stock height with 17" wheels and stock Dunlops.

The first thing I did was get some Nerf bars with steps for them. I opted for N-fabs with the drop step to maintain ground clearance. I am planning to do a Headstrong Off-Road lift kit. Thanks to reading this forum I was able to glean exactly what I needed in a lift. I like pairing the adjustable Bilstein 5100's with OME 884's for about 2.5" of lift. This kit combines affordability without risking screwing up my suspension and alignment. A full 3" lift means top plate spacers and new Upper Control Arm$. I intend to upgrade tires to Bridgestone Dueler a/t Revo 2's at 265/75r16 coupled with FN Wheels 16x8 Five Stars.

All of this to say: get some steps for the family, don't break the bank on a lift but do it right the first time. Stay under 285 tires and you won't have to do any major stuff like cab chopping to fit them under the truck.

13. Feb 4, 2015 at 12:45 AM
    Jion671

Jion671 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks agan guys!
    I've been searching for 2.5" lift kits and the price range from 300-1000. No idea which one I need and what else I need to purchase along with the lift kit. Body lift, suspension lift kit.. I'm totally lost lol. Sorry for my ignorance.
    I already have a side bar so the kids and wife utilize that. Just looking for some sort of extender to drop the side bar a few inches lower. Know of any sites where I can get this?
    I'll get the sr8 first and save up for a lift upgrade along with fitting tires to support my lift.

14. Feb 4, 2015 at 1:35 AM
    roosterbar76

roosterbar76 May the wings of liberty never lose a feather...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco Prerunner SR5 Double Cab
    StealthTaco Raptor Grill, Stubby Antenna, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, AFE Pro dry S filter, 17x8.5 SCS SR8's, General Grabber AT2 265/70/17, 5100's all around,
  15. Feb 4, 2015 at 1:38 AM
    roosterbar76

roosterbar76 May the wings of liberty never lose a feather...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco Prerunner SR5 Double Cab
    StealthTaco Raptor Grill, Stubby Antenna, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, AFE Pro dry S filter, 17x8.5 SCS SR8's, General Grabber AT2 265/70/17, 5100's all around,
    also, ask Vin from SCS, he will help you out no prob...i Just ordered a set of the SR8's also in same size...mines a Prerunner tho :D

16. Feb 4, 2015 at 2:23 AM
    Jion671

Jion671 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks rooster, I read the article and gave me an idea on what tire six I will get for the sr8.
    Vin is my contact person on the rims and has been very helpful. Can't wait to get em sometime March!! I have a 2014 Toyota pre runner. Trd sport.

17. Feb 4, 2015 at 3:08 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    All you need is a set of Bilstein 5100s and an add-a-leaf (AAL) for the rear and done. You can set the spring perches on the fronts on those to 4 different heights ( 0, .85", 1.75" or 2.50" ). If you are just leveling then you can set it at .85 or 1.75. No AAL will be needed if just doing .85 and if you go 1.75 you can go with 1.5" AAL to level. Going just enough to add the AAL will make the truck ride much better than just lifting the front and doing nothing but shocks on back. At 1.75" you will still be OK on alignments but any higher any you will start losing caster adjustability and that will make it drive all twitchy. It won't wear tires but it will wear on your nerves. New UCAs will be necessary to regain adjustability to have both caster and camber correct so it'll drive nice again. The 5100s can use your existing coils on the fronts. Parts will run a bit over $400 for 4 shocks and an AAL. UCAs will be another $350 for LR brand ones. Add labor if not doing the work yourself and the cost of one time or 1yr or 3 yr alignment to that. Also, if going any higher than 1.75" you may run into drive line vibrations and need shims for the axle to angle it up more and/or a carrier bearing drop kit to get the driveshaft happy. Also, the stock coils will be OK preloaded to 2.5" setting for road driving but will be stiff and harsh offroad, 1.75" is a nice middle ground. I had my 05 AC at 2.5 on oem coils and it was like that offroad but was OK on road. My 08 RC is set at 1.75 on oem coils and it is fine both on and offroad. It is prerunner so I don't get into articulation issues with oem coils lifted to the max that would be detrimental to hard wheeling a 4x4 would allow.

18. Feb 4, 2015 at 5:27 AM
    Jion671

Jion671 [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm still shocked on how friendly this group is! Thank you!
    So goung 2.50" would require more parts and more wear and tear/maintenance?
    If so, I may just go 1.75". I work 12-15 hours a day and my days off, I spend time with my kids. So I don't off road.. Besides its a 2wd trd sport. But getting a 1.75" would only allow me to get an inch of a tire bigger than stock tires.. Oh the decisions and sacrifices!!!
    Getting the 5100s and the add a leaf would be considered " doing the right thing"? As far as lifting the truck the right way.. I will not purchase a leveling kit. As mentioned by other experienced gentlemen here mentioned.
    Once again thank you!

19. Feb 4, 2015 at 6:38 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    If I were you, I would spend an extra $165ish and get some OME coils. Te ride would be smoother and you can set your 5100's at the 0" setting. I would suggest the OME 884 coils. That would get you around 2" I beleive then you wouldn't need UCA's. Then you could do the 1.5" AAL in the back with rear 5100's and you'd have a great ride for about $500!

The 884's are a bit softer so that would be beneficial for the kids I would say.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  20. Feb 5, 2015 at 2:39 AM
    Jion671

Jion671 [OP] Member

Member:
    I will definetely consider! Probably in a year after the sr8's are on. Vin from stealth recommended 265/70/17 max for stock and may have to remove some flaps and what not. I've seen pics on Facebook without flaps off. Lifting will be next after rims, tires.. I want to do it right..

Products Discussed in

To Top