1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice, buying truck before college.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by N0VA, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Feb 6, 2015 at 8:57 PM
    N0VA

N0VA [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Toronto
    Sorry if any of my questions seem stupid and such, although I really need this advice from people whom actually own a Tacoma. Been using public transportation for my entire time on the roads so far. So far cars with 4x4 in general seem the safest in my area (Toronto) during our rough winters and such although I never got my self to like SUVs or Sedans in general. Plan on buying a Tacoma for around $5000 later and need some advice regarding the things I should have checked in the truck instantly before buying.

Thanks all.

2. Feb 7, 2015 at 3:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    $5000?

If you can find a Tacoma for $5000 that's 4WD, it'll be close to 20 years old, have a gazillion miles on it (1st gen) and probably have lots of rust/frame rust issues. Not something you want to have to deal with in college.

Honestly? I'd look for a small econo car like Subaru or something front wheel drive to get the most for your $5000. You could probably pickup something that's about 10 years old and will have close to or around 100,000 miles.

Subaru's are awesome in the snow - we had one many years ago before stepping up to an SUV/Truck. I've had many front wheel drive cars over the years which do VERY well in the snow (Mazda Protege, Toyota Tercel, etc).

3. Feb 7, 2015 at 6:26 AM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    Listen to Janster man, it might not be what you want to hear but financially speaking it's the best option for you, once you get out of school then let the Tacoma obsession begin. For what it's worth Subaru's may not look like a badass offroad 4x4 but they handle damn well in snow and crappy conditions.

4. Feb 7, 2015 at 7:43 AM
    Over da Hill

Over da Hill "Roads...where we're going we don't need roads"

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    15 Black Taco 4WD DC SB SC
    Supercharger, Icon stage 3 suspension, Pelfreybilt Armor, All-Pro Sliders & Leaf Pack, 17 inch Black Rhino Sidewinder wheels, 33 inch Toyo tires, Rigid Lighting, SPod,
    Welcome. Good luck with the search.

5. Feb 7, 2015 at 4:40 PM
    N0VA

N0VA [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Toronto
    I know financially a Subaru or a cheaper sedan wouldn't be bad for me but only a truck can fit all of my needs considering I often work with my dad which requires transferring a lot of metals and heavy parts. Also I did a Tacoma with 105,000+ miles year 2006 for $6000 which seems to be a garage stored one. Very tempted on getting that.

Also Subaru are a pain to get and even the insurance on them costs more than on a huge truck. Gotta love being a young driver.

6. Feb 8, 2015 at 6:22 AM
    LegitGreenTaco

LegitGreenTaco Photosynthesis.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular cab base A/C fixed now.
    Westin lights, Westin Light bar holder, New front bumper, Custom floor matts, Steering wheel cover, board in bed to keep groceries from rolling around, new radio, New flat bed cover.
    Within your budget I was able to buy my taco but I think I scored. A tacoma with a double cab and awd would run you around 8+ grand. My 2002 was kbbed at 4500 about and mine aint even that good. I would go with like a subaru if you need awd. Or you can get a suzuki aerio with awd for a kbb value of 3013 in excellent condition or one in fair condition for 2141. I would go with the suzuki because it is cheaper and better on gas and it might make a great 1st car. But try with the tacoma first. you might have to settle for way less if you go for the taco.

[​IMG] suzuki I was talking about

[​IMG] tacoma I was talking about

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  7. Feb 10, 2015 at 2:33 PM
    N0VA

N0VA [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Toronto
    I'm not too worried about buying one in a bad condition mostly because my friends dad owns a garage and he agreed to help me with fixing it up for free and having a paint job done if needed. Also your truck looks great. Main thing I'm worried about is that mine is going to be stored outside all the time.

P.S - I'm not too worried regarding the money that's going to be spent on gas and such, been saving up since I was 14 for my own things and I mostly want the Tacoma because it just seems to be more reliable.

8. Feb 10, 2015 at 2:36 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    $5000 might be a stretch, but 6-6500 can land you a nice condition 1st gen, 4x4. Will probably be a 4cyl, but nothing wrong with that.

Products Discussed in

To Top