1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

newbie. no taco yet.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by fatman, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:48 AM
    fatman

fatman [OP] Member

Member:
    Newbie here, I've got a 2003 Ranger and a car as a daily. my plan is to get rid of them both for a 2005+ 4d tacoma later this year, so i signed up to educate myself and hopefully contribute to the community.
    One thing I will need to decide on is 4x4 or not. I'm in the Seattle area so I would very rarely need 4x4, but it sure is nice to have when you need it. Considering the tacoma is expensive, I will probably lean towards a 2wd, if the rear diffs have limited slip. i need to do some research around that.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:52 AM
    Fonzi25

Fonzi25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaime
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD
    Just get the 4WD man you might not use it often but when you need it you'll be more than happy to have it as a convience

3. Feb 17, 2015 at 10:12 AM
    mjcruiser

mjcruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's Toytec Springs OME Dakars Raceline R6 Wheels
    I was in the same boat as you less than a year ago. I was at a crossroads between a 2wd or 4wd Fj cruiser/Taco. I bought a 2wd FJ thinking I would rarely use 4wd so why spend the money and I got a good deal on it. 6 months later (last Saturday) I traded it in for a 4wd dcsb v6 tacoma. I was actually looking for another FJ but got a deal on the taco I couldn't refuse so I took it and ran.

I realized I made the wrong choice as soon as I signed up to the Fj forums. Luckily, you've signed up before buying the car so we can tell you you're making the wrong choice beforehand. Don't make my mistake, 4 wheels or no wheels.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  4. Feb 17, 2015 at 10:14 AM
    fatman

fatman [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info... that's interesting, I will have to research the pros and cons of mechanical vs electronic.

5. Feb 17, 2015 at 10:23 AM
    fatman

fatman [OP] Member

Member:
    i definitely understand what it's like to change your mind, I've been through 6 cars in 7 years and finally realized that my Ranger is the most practical for my life right now but shes got high miles and an open diff and it drives me crazy on wet roads. The wife already has a 4x4 so in reality I could live without it since it doesn't even snow here every year. I think what will be the determining factor is what i'll be able to find when the time comes. I rarely see a crew cab (or does toyota call it super cab) in a 2wd.

6. Feb 17, 2015 at 12:31 PM
    AFHart

AFHart I'm just telling ya what I told ya!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Denver Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 - MGM
    Welcome to TW! I plan on getting my first Taco this year as well. Looking forward to see what you come up with on your purchase. Good Luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top