1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Here. A Story, a Rant, and Welcoming Input

Discussion in 'New Members' started by TheTraveler, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Mar 31, 2015 at 11:36 AM
    TheTraveler

TheTraveler [OP] The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member here, first post. I have a story, and a rant. I'm not a "rant" kind of guy, and I apologize this is my first post. But I'm in a tight spot. Maybe it will be entertaining for you to read my transition from a car I love to a pickup truck I need. Maybe not, and this kind of thing happens all the time. Maybe you, group of Tacoma lovers, will see me as an outsider and tell me to get the hell out. I don’t know, but here is my story. Hope you enjoy it.

I drive a 2007 Audi S4. It's an Audi sedan with all-wheel drive, a V8 pushing 350hp, fully loaded. The thing is a BLAST! I absolutely love my car! Tiptronic transmission, two-tone Recaro racing seats, true dual exhaust, the works. Fun days are always when I get to drive my car more than a few miles. Just approaching 68,000, it's meticulously taken care of, and if you don't know the car you could mistake it for nearly new. Every time I am first in line at a stoplight, the much anticipated green that comes afterwards is like my very own ¼ mile challenge, and I accept it with pride!

BUT...this car is not a family car. I have a 3 year old who doesn't ride in my car. My car does not go on family trips. It does not go to the beach. It does not go camping. I cannot and will not put bicycles, birthday cakes, or my 3-year old's Barbie Power Wheels in the trunk.

We also bought a house last year. My car does not haul lumber. It does not haul Christmas Trees. It does not haul pond stones. I cannot pick up a lawnmower or new snowblower, I need to have it delivered or rent a pickup for a day. I do not fill up gas cans with my car.

Until now, most of the household chores that need done, as well as the family hauling around, are done with my wife's little Nissan Rogue, a vehicle which I despise. Oh it's perfect for her, no doubt. She randomly bumps into things, and the Rogue does not care. But for me, it is not the vehicle that I would drive. CVT’s are for snowmobiles and ATV’s, not cars. The thing squeals like a pig after 15 minutes over 77mph.
    So…as much as it breaks my heart, I have to do it. The S4 must go. This really pains me, and I don’t know how I’m going to say goodbye. A friend once said there is nothing like a new girlfriend to help you get over the old one, so I guess looking for a new vehicle would be the best way to get moving on.

A full size pickup truck is not for me. Too big, too bulky. I had one in the past, teen years, and it was fun then. Older and more mature, I really have no desire to navigate through town with a full size pickup. An SUV is also not for me. I don’t need all that on the inside. Some are nice, but it’s just not me. If I have to make this move, it’s going to be a mid-size pickup. Sporty, but can be fun. Maybe I can get a supercharger or some other bs later on. Accessories. But mid-size pickups, here I come. I knew this going in of course, but little did I realize how much that would limit my options until I really started looking closer at my options, of which there were few.
    Tacoma, Canyon/Colorado, Frontier. Really? That’s it? Geez.

I start with the Tacoma because it looks the best. Figure I’ll find a nice, slightly used, 40,000 or less, reasonable price. And I found those options, but quickly realized that there is almost no significant price savings in slightly used vs new. Case in point, 2010 with 38,000 miles…$5,000 less than driving a brand new one off the lot. How is that even possible?
    So be it. New it is. So I look at the inside and quickly realize…there is nothing in this truck. Where are the creature comforts? Those don’t exist. Not like you have to get another package, they just do not exist. Leather seats are a special package and an upcharge, but the seat is still manual. Plastic everywhere. Are you serious?

Time to go to GM. One trip was enough. I give them credit. The Canyon/Colorado is a neat little truck in the Z71 package, and it does have leather, heated seats, nice interior, etc. But there is no mistaking that it is a GM product, one that I have not become fond of. I reminisce to reading about discontinuations, recalls, and a slew of other problems that I don’t associate them with very well. I’m not here to buy a company, just a truck. Deep breath. Really, it’s a nice little truck, but it does not have the stance that the Tacoma does. Not the stature. Not the look. It reminds me of a mini, updated Avalanche, without those wing looking things moving past the cab. Ah, no thanks.

Now I’m stuck. I don’t want to give up my car. I have no need or desire for an SUV. Ok. I think I do need to look at a full size truck because for $33k, there is just no way that you get this plane-Jane interior. No toys. No creature comforts. Don’t like the look of the Ford, the Dodge, or the Chevy. Ah-ha! Driving down the road, I spot a very, very pretty GMC. Silver, 20” wheels, high stance, very sharp truck! I stop and take a look. Leather interior, heated seats, all set. Looks comfy and sporty for a pickup! Other side to the window sticker…what the hell happened here? I must have gotten into some spaceship and been transported to a far away planet where a damn pickup truck is worth $52,000! Is this some kind of sick joke? $50K? F-this, man!

I sat for two days and did nothing. It is really depressing because I know the end is coming, and I have no options. So I go back to the Toyota place. Nice lady shows me around and I tell a little bit of my story. She says maybe I’d be interested in a Tundra. Hmm. Ok. V8, powerful, not as big as the full size (even if only in perception). I jumped in it and no way. Too big, to bulky, too…wait…look at the gas mileage. Seriously? Dead last in fuel economy? And again…we’re over $45k for leather? Nope.

And…back to the Tacoma. I circle it in the lot. I have to give Toyota credit, it is a sharp looking truck. Neat lines. Great stance. It just looks cool, and I do like this part. But I sit in it and again…I feel like I’m in a 1987 Chevy Nova that I had. I think that is the same knob, actually. Oh wait…that was also made by Toyota. Well then, probably is!

I take it for a drive, and the sales lady cautions me…this is going to be very rough compared to your German luxury car! She’s got no idea what she’s talking about. Luxury car? That thing may look fancy, but it’s more rocketship than luxury car. At any speed from 25 to 135, I feel every expansion joint on a new highway in that car. It’s stiffer suspension than she can even imagine, and one of the reasons why I can take onramps/offramps in excess of 70mph with no worries.

We get on the road and it is soft. Very, very soft. Yeah there are some bumps, but they are cushy bumps. Nothing I would worry about. The truck drives OK. Granted there are going to be no more stoplight ¼ mile runs, but the drive is not bad. What’s with the brakes though? I made a mental note on how they felt spongy, as if some air in the line or something. When we return to the lot I get out and take a look…you have GOT to be joking. Drum brakes? Seriously? Is there not an option at least for four wheel disc brakes?

I left the dealership again no better off. I drove it. It was ok. Handled fine. Backup camera was cool. But it’s just so…simple. Regardless, even if I’m not in love, this is probably going to happen because this is the family life. So now I am looking through packages and perhaps some of you can weigh in and help.

Originally I wanted the Limited package with Nav, so at least I’m getting heated leather. But after seeing the cost and that it deletes a bunch of other stuff, I’ll pass. Plus, what good is that option if the seats are still manual? Moving on.

Split now between the Sport and the Off Road. Sport looks cooler, I like the hood scoop, but I could get an aftermarket one just as easily, right? The Off Road has more gadgets. My question…how often will I use the gadgets? All the buttons on the left side of the dash are filled in with the Off Road, but with the Sport there are fillers so things are missing. Locking differential for one. I think the gadgets make me feel better, but I don’t know how often I will realistically use them.

I notice the Off Road package has smaller wheels (16) while the sport has bigger ones (17). Who cares? What’s better? Input?

Color I am also split. Silver or gray.

Last option is Nav. I am considering ordering whatever package specifically with Nav. What is your experience with the Nav system? Easy to use? Accurate? Is there at least an option that sounds like some sexy hot chick to make up for everything else lacking?

With some joking mixed into a lot of seriousness, this is not an easy move for me. Forgive me if I’ve offended any of you Tacoma lovers, but I figured you were the right bunch to throw my story and my concerns at. Thanks a bunch for reading, and if you’ve got any input, I’ll be grateful to receive it.

-N

2. Mar 31, 2015 at 11:38 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Welcome

Your name looks familiar ...

3. Mar 31, 2015 at 11:54 AM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 TUNDRA
    Welcome. Looks like you've done your research. The only thing I would not buy again on my '13 OR is the Navigation option. Washed out display, full-on lawyer lockout while in motion. My Garmin allows me to ignore this deficiency. Quite capable off road even in stock form, if that is your intended use.

4. Mar 31, 2015 at 11:55 AM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    I have a fully loaded 2012 Tacoma DC 2WD TRD Sport Prerunner SB that i bought brand new that year and absolutly love it with the package options/features!This may give you somewhat of a insight.Welcome to TW as well!:)

5. Mar 31, 2015 at 12:00 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    I also have an S4, 2001 Black 6 speed with the rare platnium silver leather, and if I was in your position I would keep the audi and find me a used AC 2.7 tacoma. Its a truck that can haul and still fit people when needed. If you must get rid of your S4, knowing I will take abuse for this, don't swap for a truck. Go for an Audi wagon and get the protective mats for the rear. Nothing says bad ass like a 400hp wagon blowing past someone. It gives you the room you need and the style and interior you have become accustomed to. Also you can mount those hitch platforms to one to carry gas and mowers and what not.

Just my thoughts as a fellow audi lover from way back and current tacoma owner.

6. Mar 31, 2015 at 12:09 PM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    Traveler, do you NEED 4x4? Just a question because it doesn't seem like you would typically use it the way you describe what you are doing with it.

If not, I would recommend getting a 4 door pre-runner long bed if you can find one.

I know you are looking for certain things, and you won't find them with the 2015 and less taco. If you are wanting some of these luxury things, wait for the 2016 taco.

7. Mar 31, 2015 at 12:17 PM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Too long...didn't read it. Welcome!

8. Mar 31, 2015 at 1:09 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    LMAO!That "special snowflake"comment is hilariuos!

9. Mar 31, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    glassdoc

glassdoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring City, PA 19475
    Vehicle:
    04 DubCab 260,000 miles
    Stubbs Sliders, 2.5" lift, Ken-Mtn Bumpers, Leather Seats, AM/FM/CD/DVD & CB, IP Trans-Upgrade, (2) Trans Coolers, Synthetics Thru-out
    The honest truth is: No one buys a pickup truck for creature comforts. They buy it knowing it can go any place they want to go, haul or tow most anything they desire, and in the Tacoma world. Hold its value, even after 10 years and 180,000 miles. If you want the heated seats, makeup mirrors, turn signals in the mirror housings, and a Blaupunkt stereo. Try an Infinity Q series or maybe a supercharged Range Rover. Most people in pickups could care less about 0-100 mph. Truth is. My 300k mile truck can outrun your Audi any day any time, with 500 pounds of firewood in the bed. As long as I get to pick the race course, you don't have a chance. But seriously. You are probably better off to keep renting or hiring someone to haul your stuff around. No truck will compare to your Audi.

10. Mar 31, 2015 at 1:41 PM
    TheTraveler

TheTraveler [OP] The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    Thanks for the great feedback all! To many to answer to, but I appreciate all of them.

Bought a nice house back in July with lots of room and lots to do, so the truck is a necessity. Considered a trailer, but just won't work. Loud and clear from the other Audi owner, but three vehicles isn't an option for me.

Special snowflake is funny, I appreciate the humor! Not at all, though. Grew up in the woods riding dirtbikes, ATV's, etc. Had trucks when I was younger. GMC 2500, Dodge Ram V10, and an F350 SRW with the 6.0 Diesel. But that was years ago, different position, and things have changed. I bought this car and fell in love with it, and got very used to it.

It's not that actually even that these comforts are necessary, and you all know that. But when you get used to them even in a car that's already 8 years old and you're looking at something new, well...have to admit that when you look at this purchase, it feels like you're going back, not forward.

Sigh. This is going to happen.

11. Mar 31, 2015 at 1:47 PM
    16Tacos

16Tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 SR5
    OME Nitrochargers w/886s & Dakars, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar w/Warn winch, RCI sliders with kick out, IFS & Mid skids, BFF Hi-clearance rear bumper, Brushed Copper 17" SCS Ray10s w/285-70 KO2s, Black OEM 16" steelies w/255-85 KM2s, Leer contractor cap w/Smittybilt overlander xl RTT, Off-Grid Engineering dual battery kit and bed power panel, Blue sea aux fuse block, Wyntner 60L fridge freezer, ARB dual compressor, Pioneer 720BT head unit, CB radio, @Matt_Gecko bed and engine bay lights, @TacomaTruckParts Dirt bike tie down bar, color matched OEM grill, A-Pillar phone mount mod, @Docloco rear seat molle panel
    You are killing me! The simplicity of the Tacoma is one of the selling points IMO, not much will go wrong with it. Unlike the A4 2.8Quattro I used to have, which had a million issues and was glad to get rid of.

Honestly the 2006 body style (same as your '07 I believe) S4 Avant is my favorite vehicle ever made. If I was you I would try to find an S4 Avant and not worry about what you haul in it!

Doesn't sound like the Tacoma or any truck will satisfy what you are looking for (Nice interior, power everything, etc. for under 40K).

I suggest you keep looking for a used Tacoma if you want to go with a truck (it'll take some time, took me almost a year to find one in the condition I wanted with the options I wanted and a price I felt was reasonable). I bought my second Tacoma an '08 in January of this year with 60k miles for only $18k out the door (4x4 V6 AT with SR5 package - so no leather and its an Access Cab, you'll probably want a Double Cab). IMO between 40k mi. and 60k mi. it doesn't matter the engine is just getting into the sweet spot!

12. Mar 31, 2015 at 2:41 PM
    dBeau

dBeau Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Baja Access Cab
    Yup.... keep the Audi. You're not ready for a truck ;)

My last two cars were both Audi S4's. The first I bought new in 2001, the second in new 2008. Finally in 2012 I traded for the Tacoma. It was a shock (mostly for the dealer), but I was ready. Nothing is better on a snowy or wet street than the S4. I just got sick of replacing a wheels and/or tire every spring because of the pot holes. I got sick of wanting to go fast but not having a place to do it. The S4 makes fast driving boring! Real excitement requires a track.

When you trade your S4 for a Tacoma, there's a lot you'll miss besides the heated leather seats. Believe it or not, the Tacoma's headlights dont turn with the steering wheel or even auto level... I know. ...and the make this weird yellowish light popular in the 90s and before. The windshield wipers are barely adequate and the side view mirrors are not heated. Let's not even talk about road noise. The seat doesnt remember your favorite three positions and auto adjust based on which key you started it with. But hey, dont get me started.

The folks on the forum here who complain about the high prices for dealer service have never seen the lounge and "free" coffee and snacks you get with your oil change at the Audi dealer. I just paid $50 for the first out of warranty service since I bought the truck. I had to bring my own coffee with me.

The Tacoma is a simple beast. I can open the hood and actually see engine parts. They're all there and visible, not covered in layers of aesthetically pleasing multi-colored plastic. Someday, I might even change my own oil! At least I can see the filter.

Since I started driving the Tacoma I haven't had a single encounter with Johnny Law. It seems he has no interest in folks who drive the speed limit or less. Those fast starts when the light changes from red to green are a thing of the past too. Now I'm happy to wait for grandma as she pulls out in front of me. I mean what's the hurry? I'm on my way to work.

13. Mar 31, 2015 at 2:57 PM
    tyfoon11

tyfoon11 Raguel

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Where bald eagles roam, Ca
    garden shed
    And the award for the Longest First Post EVER goes to....

all jokes aside, it all depends on what you need it for. if you are never going to off road as mentioned above go for the pre-runner with the options you want. if you like the sport looks and still want to do some off roading go with a 4x4 sport. I have one and its pretty close to as capable as the off road, and you can get the double cab with the long bed - more space for kids and crap (trail limo!). And I agree with Eddo - the Nav sux

BUT... if you want more updated - pick one of the above models but wait a few months for the 2016

14. Mar 31, 2015 at 3:00 PM
    TheProf

TheProf Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Loved your story. I have never owned a nice car (by choice), and I have purposely avoided driving really nice cars, since ignorance is bliss. My 2015 Tacoma is a luxury vehicle compared to my last two trucks -- everything is relative.

I advise that you get a mid-2000s used GM, 1/2 ton work truck with an AM-FM stereo, vinyl seats, manual windows, and no carpet. Try to find one with a worn-out steering shaft so the steering wheel rattles and clunks when you go over small bumps. (No need to fix it, it's not a safety issue, just a minor annoyance.) Force yourself to drive that GM for a few years, and then get back in the market for a new Tacoma. You will be amazed at how your perspective has changed.

15. Mar 31, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    Man just buy it, you'll love it soon enough. if I'm not mistaken, buying tires for a 16" wheel is typically cheaper than tires for a 17" wheel. Check out the build threads on here and you'll realize how bad ass these trucks are and how much potential exists. You can always add all that frilly stuff later. good luck!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/

16. Mar 31, 2015 at 3:13 PM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 TUNDRA
    OP, I'm taking a risk by posting this, but have you considered:

[​IMG]

17. Mar 31, 2015 at 3:22 PM
    tyfoon11

tyfoon11 Raguel

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Where bald eagles roam, Ca
    garden shed
    a Ridgeline... really Eric...?

18. Mar 31, 2015 at 3:25 PM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 TUNDRA
    Is that ban-worthy?

19. Mar 31, 2015 at 5:49 PM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    I would think as a community of tacoma enthusiasts we'd be encouraging this guy to buy a tacoma and giving him solid reasons why, instead of shooting down his thought process. In my mind, that's one more guy out there driving a tacoma, instead of some douche rolling coal at a 4 way stop cuz he thinks it looks cool.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  20. Mar 31, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Busted CV boots and lots of squeaks.
    I would say, keep the car you love and go find a beater pickup to do the chores in. Craigslist has em all day long. If you like the Toyota, find a late 80's model, they can be had all day for a reasonable price. Best part about an old pickup is, is you ding it up it doesn't matter. Heck an old ford or Chevy beater be just as well. You can find something to tote the Barbi jeep around in easy. Just have to look a little.

Edit: I also used to drive an Audi. 08 Allroad wagon 2.7 twin turbo. Loved that car, but it was time to move on.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top