Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

How to use the Search function

Old 05-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
How to use the Search function

We get a lot of threads asking repeat questions. Many try the search function but have a difficult time because the search results generate too many hits and it can be tedious to weed through all the results to find the one that's relevant. Here are some tips for doing an effective search. Note that the results I generated in the results (e.g. thread counts) will change as time goes on and people post more threads about a particular topic. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Standard Search
This is the search most people do. If I search on Bilstein, I get 500 hits. You'll get every thread that has a post that mentions Bilstein.

"AND" Search
Adding additional terms will limit the search results. If I search on Bilstein 5100, I get 244 hits. It's the equivalent of saying 'Give me the threads that have at least one post with both "Bilstein" AND "5100" in it'. You'll get any post that mentions both Bilstein and 5100. Any thread could mention both Bilstein or 5100, but at least one post in the thread has to have both terms in it or it won't be a hit.

Phrase Search
If I search on "Bilstein 5100" (in quotes) I get 192 hits. You'll get any thread where a post contains the specific phrase Bilstein 5100. (Bilstein immediately followed by 5100).

Combined
If I search on "Bilstein 5100" 1st gen , I get 1 hit.

Excluding terms
This one can be tricky to work. If you add the word "not" to a term, it will exclude posts that have that term in it. For example, in the "Bilstein 5100" search, there's a post about 1998 4-Runner (you may have to page through to find the post). So if I search on "Bilstein 5100" not runner it'll eliminate that result. This can be a tricky search since it will only eliminate from the results if Bilstein 5100 appears with the elimination word. However, even if post has the elimination word, someone else's post in the thread may have Bilstein 5100 but not have the elimination word, so it would be considered a hit for that post and the thread will still appear in the results.

There are more options in the Advanced search box.

Titles Only

You can limit the search to "Search Titles Only". That would get you only threads that mention the search term in the title (so you wouldn't get "The Useless Posts" Thread as a result to a Bilstein search). Searching Bilstein with "Search Titles Only" results in only 89 hits whereas in the first attempt, it resulted in 500 hits. Plus, the posts are more likely to be relevant since the terms are in the title of the thread. It's also a helpful search if you remember a part of the title but don't remember where it was. An example is thread "Things that make you say...WTF" If all you remember about the thread was "WTF", you should do a title search. WTF appears in a lot of threads, but is not as common in the titles.

Search By Username
To the right, there's a Search by Username box. If you know the person you're interested in finding a result from, type that user's screenname into the box. After a few characters, the forum software will generate a list you can select from. It's helpful if you don't recall how to specifically spell their username. There's also a pulldown that will allow you to select "Find Posts by User" or "Find Threads Started by User" The first option will generate any results where the user has posted whereas, the second option will only generate results where the particular user started the thread.

Specific Forums

You can choose specific forums by holding down the <CTRL> button while selecting the forums you are interested in. So if I search using Bilstein and select only the 1st Gen and the Suspension forum, I get 359 hits (vs 500 above). If I choose only the 1st Gen forum, that number drops to 69 hits. If I add "Search Titles Only", I get 3 threads.

Wildcard
You can also use the * wildcard. So if I'm interested in Signature pics, I could search Sig* and "Search Titles Only" and get any post that has the three letters s-i-g at the beginning of a word in the title (e.g. Sig banners, Signature banners) but you'll also get results like "Sign in" but you wouldn't get a term like "Assign" since the sig is not at the beginning of the word. Putting the * in the middle of a term can help with commonly misspelled words (e.g. searching on Bilst*n would hit on Bilstein or Bilstien).

"OR" search
For an "or" "Search Titles Only" search, if I search on Sig or Signature, I'll only get Title threads that have either Sig or Signature in the title(eliminates the "Sign In") result.

Other Options

The other options allow you to further reduce the hits if you know certain things about the post (e.g. about when it was posted). So if you knew a post was put up within the last month or two, you could limit the results to only newer posts.

The "Show Results As" option will display threads or posts. The Thread selection will show the threads that match a search, whereas the Posts selection will show the post itself that matched. The Post can be helpful if the result you are looking for happens to reside in a huge thread. Rather than page through 50 pages of a long thread, do a post search and you can see if directly if the result was the one you were interested in.
Attached Thumbnails
How to use the Search function-basic-search.jpg   How to use the Search function-advanced-search.jpg   How to use the Search function-search-titles.jpg   How to use the Search function-search-forum.jpg   How to use the Search function-other-options.jpg  

Old 05-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
TX
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
niceeee
Old 05-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up man! should be a sticky!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
coincidentally dgerm also wrote a how to search post yest here
Old 05-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
this one is much more in depth, good work monkey!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Uh. can i get a spring TSB done? and whats a TSB?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Found this to be very helpful. Thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
This should be mandatory reading. Make it a Sticky in every forum.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
You can also use google to search a site

IE:

(throttle body spacer site:tacomaworld.com)
Old 06-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
whats searching for?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know, but what is the biggest size tire I can run on my stock suspension.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
*must not derail!*
Old 06-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
*must not derail!*
Old 06-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #16
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
LOL that's great!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #17
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
nice work!! You rule
Old 06-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #19
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work mang!

I don't mind repeat questions from newbs...
Old 06-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks... that works

I hated searching for anything because I'd get SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOO many results that really didn't apply.