Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Uncomfortable seats

Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Waybo is on a distinguished road
Waybo's Tacoma Gallery
Uncomfortable seats

I just bought an 08 Tacoma double cab. I like everything about the truck except the front seats. I have a lower back problem and I get a back ache if I drive the truck for any length of time. One problem is that the seats are too low. Has anyone ever tried raising them by loosening the bolts and inserting spacers of some kind? Also, has anyone actually replaced the seats with aftermarket seats or with seats from another vehicle? I suppose adapting other seats to mount to the existing brackets could be a real nightmare.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Banned
Audible is on a distinguished road
Audible's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waybo View Post
I just bought an 08 Tacoma double cab. I like everything about the truck except the front seats. I have a lower back problem and I get a back ache if I drive the truck for any length of time. One problem is that the seats are too low. Has anyone ever tried raising them by loosening the bolts and inserting spacers of some kind? Also, has anyone actually replaced the seats with aftermarket seats or with seats from another vehicle? I suppose adapting other seats to mount to the existing brackets could be a real nightmare.
Many guys love the TRD sport seats with the mesh...I do not. I'm trying to find someone to trade with for SR5 seats. Which, I'm told will bolt straight accross.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Waybo! !! Thats odd that the seats are that bad! ! I have an 08 Access Cab TRD 4X4 Sport and the seats are great! !! I say that even though I have had 5 major back surgeries! !! Of course the Sport came with the Sport Seats so that may have been the difference! !

If you just got your Taco perhaps you should give it time to get used too! ! You can jack up the seats but whatever you do make it a safe change.

Good Luck
Don G
Old 11-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
Waybo is on a distinguished road
Waybo's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I am used to my Chrysler minivan which has power seats which can be raised and set at any angle. They are really comfortable and the driving position is much more upright. I might be mistaken but isn't the fabric the only difference with the Sport seats?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Banned
Audible's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
I might be mistaken but isn't the fabric the only difference with the Sport seats?
No, to me, the SR5 seats are much nicer and totally different. The Tacoma's are sure not built for comfort. My father's Silverado LT Chevy is plush...If cannot resolve my comfort issue I may be trading out. Espescially since his V-8 gets the same mileage!!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I guess I am used to my Chrysler minivan which has power seats which can be raised and set at any angle. They are really comfortable and the driving position is much more upright. I might be mistaken but isn't the fabric the only difference with the Sport seats?
I believe you are right, the covers are the only diff. also I have just came out of a 10 year ride in a conversion van with leather seats powered every which way so the Taco will take a little getting used too but I love it already! !!!

Don G
Old 11-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Banned
Audible's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G View Post
I believe you are right, the covers are the only diff. also I have just came out of a 10 year ride in a conversion van with leather seats powered every which way so the Taco will take a little getting used too but I love it already! !!!

Don G
No, the padding/angle/everything is different.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up my 08 double cab TRD and I really like the seats but could see where some would want a little more adjustability. If you do try to change them out be careful. It would ruin your whole day to set off the side airbags.
I've seen a thread on here about a leather/seatwarmer upgrade that sounds like it'd help.

I haven't looked into it yet but have done this on other vehicles. Go to the junk yard and find a recent model vehicle that has what you want. Take the seats, including the rails and any wiring you can, and make some Frankenbrackets. My 79 Sunbird had seats from some other GM (can't remember what now). I used the rails from the donor vehicle that attached to the seat and the bottom of the rails from the Sunbird. Perfect fit.

Just an idea. Would take some effort but I'll put money someone could figure out a semi-easy way to get some top-end Avalon seats into your Taco.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #10
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
There is no difference between the TRD sport and the TRD off-road seats. The TRD seats are different than the regular Tacoma seats though. Bigger, different faberic and a sportier design.

A handfull of members have complained about the seats. The biggest compliant seems to be the innability to tilt the seat forward. If you want to tilt the back of the seat up from the bottom, here is a thread regarding that issue....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...t-bottoms.html
Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #11
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
damn, you beat me by 2 minutes rhoppas!