Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

98 Taco Says Hello

Old 06-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
black98 is on a distinguished road

black98's Tacoma Gallery
98 Taco Says Hello

Hello everyone, I bought my first truck about a month ago, a 1998 PreRunner. It was really an impulse buy, because I really did not even really need a truck at the time. But here are the events leading up to it:

A couple friends and I went camping at Inks Lake State Park in Burnet, TX and we brought along some kayaks. It was my first time kayaking and I had so much fun that I knew I had to get one myself. Then I realized I would need a truck to haul around my new yak (not true, although this is how I rationalized getting the truck), so I started looking once I got home.

I found a 1998 Tacoma PreRunner listed on Craigslist at a dealer down the road from me. Now, I had never bought a car from a dealer before so I was a little wary of doing so, with all the rumors you hear of such people. I took my time with a couple test drives here and there, KBB, Edmunds and other used car guide prices and even a third party inspection of the vehicle. I talked the guy down about $1700 before TT&L so I think I got a pretty good deal, this being below the average price.

There were only a couple things I was concerned about with the vehicle before I bought it, one of which was a vibration that could be felt in the steering wheel while driving. The taco had BFG Mud Terrains on it which was the likely suspect. Sure enough, after taking her home and putting some new BFG ATs on her, the vibration disappeared. The other was a jerk in the engine/transmission that was felt after the brakes were released after coming to a complete stop after driving for a bit. The ASE tech said this was due to weak motor mounts. I have yet to correct this problem.

So I am very pleased with my first truck so far, because now I can carry the kayak I bought too, as well as my mountain bike, dog, etc. I am glad I bought it and only drive her to the gym and back during the week and to the lake on the weekends. There are a number of things I want to do to it and have questions, but will post that in the appropriate forums of course.

So, just saying hi and thank you for providing this great site! Here she is at the lot before I bought her:

Old 06-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck, and welcome to TW!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to TW!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to tw....glad you got a tacoma!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
welcome and impulse buys are the best
Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
welcome.