Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Soon to be owner

Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
baldtaco is on a distinguished road

baldtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Soon to be owner

Hey Guys,

Okay here is the deal...I am buying a new prerunner the end of this month. I cant afford the 4x4 but I really like the prerunner anyway so thats the road I am taking. Here is my question... What is the real differences btw the trd off road package and the trd sport package? My intentions in the long run are 6" lift with 35's and I know you can accomplish this with the prerunner, but what is the difference btw the 2 prerunners? Is it just the shocks and tires that come from the factory that are different or is there anything really important. Appreciate the input...thanks...
Old 12-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Morpheus
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Welcome to TW bud. Your question has been kicked around many a time. Search the forum if you have a minute.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
the front coils and the limited slip in the sport or the locker in the offroad...aside form the cosmetic differences
Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
07SWB is on a distinguished road
07SWB's Tacoma Gallery
the main difference between the 2 trucks is that the TRD Sport has a limited slip rear diff. Whereas the TRD Off-road has an electronic locker.

appearance differences include for the sport, color matched grille surround and a hood scoop. the Off-road has a chrome grille surround and no scoop.

I believe the Sport also has color matched door handles and the off-road is just the standard black handles.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
just some insight for you...depending on where you live and if it has been snowing like it just did here, the button to activate the rear locker on my TRD off-road has been renamed "drift" button haha, it's damn near impossible to drive in a straight line with the rear end locked up and i love it
Old 12-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SWB View Post
the main difference between the 2 trucks is that the TRD Sport has a limited slip rear diff. Whereas the TRD Off-road has an electronic locker.

appearance differences include for the sport, color matched grille surround and a hood scoop. the Off-road has a chrome grille surround and no scoop.

I believe the Sport also has color matched door handles and the off-road is just the standard black handles.
the off-road DOES have the black door handles, but you forgot to mention that the off-road package sticker looks waaaaay cooler
Old 12-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #7
07SWB is on a distinguished road
07SWB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
the off-road DOES have the black door handles, but you forgot to mention that the off-road package sticker looks waaaaay cooler

id rather have no stickers on there.. keep people wondering lol

you know the best sticker is the Rugged Trail edition lmao NOT
Old 12-05-2007, 04:22 AM   #8

Thanks guys, now for the big question in your opinions which is better the liminted slip or the button pushed locker? I live in AZ but my sister lives in Colorado Springs so my truck will be getting the best of both worlds dirt and snow.....
Old 12-05-2007, 04:39 AM   #9
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldtaco View Post
Thanks guys, now for the big question in your opinions which is better the liminted slip or the button pushed locker? I live in AZ but my sister lives in Colorado Springs so my truck will be getting the best of both worlds dirt and snow.....
Having a sport myself I can say that limited lip really kicks in fast. I had a ford with limited lip and it was more like an open dif.

I was shocked at how quickly the limited lip locks up on the Tacoma. Always leaves 2 black stripes behind me
Old 12-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #10

Okay so the limited slip leaves the most rubber but which one gets you out of deep snow better and which one works better on the dirt? And while I am at it, what does the locking have when it's not locked?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #11
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
a locked not locked is an open....so only one wheel power. i like the sport as well, since i'll only be doing the occasional offroading. if u do more of it or make it really count when u do, then i'd say to get the offroad
Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #12

see i try to make it as far as i can on the trails without the rear end locked up, and i won't use it unless i get stuck. like i said before, i enjoy the challenge lol. i do like having an open diff better for the snow tho, my limited slip in my cobra was really tight like how the sport tacos are and i was all over the place
Old 12-06-2007, 04:16 AM   #13

Thanks guys for all the input......hopefully I will be down there this weekend getting my truck. Selling my old Honda Accord and taking the money straight to the dealership the same day. Everybody has been very helpful hopefully this time next week I will be posting pictures....Later
Old 12-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #14
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
The electronic locker will be better for getting out of nasty places when you're stuck, but like TuRDTaco said, its not good for everyday driving speeds in the snow or ice
Old 12-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #15
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Actually i have a suggestion. you say you cant afford the 4x4 but like the prerunner look. It sounds like you're actually gonna spend some time in environments that you will benefit from having the 4x4. The TRD package has alot of really nice options, but you may want to consider getting a standard SR5 4x4 without the TRD. Recently Toyota released a TSB (technical service bulletin) that upgrades the shocks and rear leafs on vehicles that dont have TRD to the TRD suspension. So If you are getting the TRD specifially for the suspension, then you can use the money you were gonna spend on the TRD to get 4X4, then go back and have teh dealer install the TRD suspension for free. Basically giving you a 4x4 TRD truck without the asthetic options and missing a few things like the upgraded seats and bed outlet. Just a thought
Old 12-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Actually i have a suggestion. you say you cant afford the 4x4 but like the prerunner look. It sounds like you're actually gonna spend some time in environments that you will benefit from having the 4x4. The TRD package has alot of really nice options, but you may want to consider getting a standard SR5 4x4 without the TRD. Recently Toyota released a TSB (technical service bulletin) that upgrades the shocks and rear leafs on vehicles that dont have TRD to the TRD suspension. So If you are getting the TRD specifially for the suspension, then you can use the money you were gonna spend on the TRD to get 4X4, then go back and have teh dealer install the TRD suspension for free. Basically giving you a 4x4 TRD truck without the asthetic options and missing a few things like the upgraded seats and bed outlet. Just a thought
just a thought!!?!?! the hell it was, that was a genius' insight on the world's financial woes. if i could give you more rep i would but it won't let me haha
Old 12-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #17

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
just a thought!!?!?! the hell it was, that was a genius' insight on the world's financial woes. if i could give you more rep i would but it won't let me haha
well i do what i can when i can
Old 12-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #18
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldtaco View Post
Okay so the limited slip leaves the most rubber but which one gets you out of deep snow better and which one works better on the dirt? And while I am at it, what does the locking have when it's not locked?
Sounds like you need to cowboy up and get a 4wd, but if your in deep the one that better of getting you out is called... a tow truck !
Old 12-06-2007, 10:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
well i do what i can when i can
and i appreciate that good sir