Notices

07 Tacoma D Cab H4 locking on Dry Pavement

Old 07-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
gabishara is on a distinguished road
Name: George
gabishara's Tacoma Gallery
07 Tacoma D Cab H4 locking on Dry Pavement

Hello there,

I purchased my 07 4x4 truck a week ago. I am so new to the 4x4 truck world. I put the Truck on H4 at rain conditions doing about 50mph. and when I was parking (very much on much drier pavement) I fely that the truck was locking and resisting to move. Is this normal behaviour due to the dry condition? The dealer's service associates sound unsure. could you please advise, so I can take it back to them if there is anything wrong. Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabishara View Post
Hello there,

I purchased my 07 4x4 truck a week ago. I am so new to the 4x4 truck world. I put the Truck on H4 at rain conditions doing about 50mph. and when I was parking (very much on much drier pavement) I fely that the truck was locking and resisting to move. Is this normal behaviour due to the dry condition? The dealer's service associates sound unsure. could you please advise, so I can take it back to them if there is anything wrong. Thanks
Welcome to TW.

Very normal. It was your truck saying "ouch". You should never run 4x4 on dry pavement. You also don't need 4x4 in the rain. 4x4 should be used for low traction conditions like mud, snow/ice, or some towing applications.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
gabishara is on a distinguished road
Name: George
gabishara's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, Thank you all
Old 07-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Ok...You can put it in 4hi in the rain as long as you're going STRAIGHT.

I don't offroad with my truck and I put it in 4hi on the highway going straight for about 5 mile increments just to keep things running smoothly. Owners manual states you should put it in 4WD atleast once a month (or something similar to that).

You want to avoid driving in 4WD on dry pavement and if you're gonna use it in the rain....DO NOT make turns!!!

Turning is where most of the problem is. Making turns while in 4WD can bind up the driveline. That's why you felt it bucking & jerking when turning. Anytime you feel that - don't force it ....STOP ...take it out of 4WD if you can. Sometimes it won't disengage 4WD until you move ever so slightly forward or backwards (to relieve the stress in the driveline).