1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

07 Tacoma D Cab H4 locking on Dry Pavement

Discussion in 'New Members' started by gabishara, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Jul 22, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    gabishara

gabishara [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Vehicle:
    07 Cab SR5
    Hello there,

I purchased my 07 4x4 truck a week ago. I am so new to the 4x4 truck world. I put the Truck on H4 at rain conditions doing about 50mph. and when I was parking (very much on much drier pavement) I fely that the truck was locking and resisting to move. Is this normal behaviour due to the dry condition? The dealer's service associates sound unsure. could you please advise, so I can take it back to them if there is anything wrong. Thanks

2. Jul 22, 2009 at 7:09 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Welcome to TW.

Very normal. It was your truck saying "ouch". You should never run 4x4 on dry pavement. You also don't need 4x4 in the rain. 4x4 should be used for low traction conditions like mud, snow/ice, or some towing applications.

3. Jul 22, 2009 at 7:14 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Welcome. and don't drive it on pavement in 4wd, you'll break something eventually.

4. Jul 22, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    gabishara

gabishara [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Vehicle:
    07 Cab SR5
    Okay, Thank you all

5. Jul 22, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Ok...You can put it in 4hi in the rain as long as you're going STRAIGHT.

I don't offroad with my truck and I put it in 4hi on the highway going straight for about 5 mile increments just to keep things running smoothly. Owners manual states you should put it in 4WD atleast once a month (or something similar to that).

You want to avoid driving in 4WD on dry pavement and if you're gonna use it in the rain....DO NOT make turns!!!

Turning is where most of the problem is. Making turns while in 4WD can bind up the driveline. That's why you felt it bucking & jerking when turning. Anytime you feel that - don't force it ....STOP ...take it out of 4WD if you can. Sometimes it won't disengage 4WD until you move ever so slightly forward or backwards (to relieve the stress in the driveline).

Products Discussed in

To Top