Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Deciding tacoma vs s10

Old 09-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
znoi is on a distinguished road
Name: ev
znoi's Tacoma Gallery
Deciding tacoma vs s10

hey guys i need help im deciding either from a s10 or the tacoma ive found both trucks i like but i would like some info about the tacoma before i choose ive found a stock 1999 tacoma sr5 v6 4x4 what kinds of problems do these trucks have and if i choose this truck how could i lift it the "right" way?
Old 09-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
I was in the same boat as you about 4 years ago before I bought my '06 Tacoma. I had about 8k cash to spend and was looking at both trucks. I could get a lot more for my money buying a S-10 so I did. Biggest mistake. I tried modding the S-10 but I still regretted it everyday. I sold it about a year later and put the down payment on a new '06 Tacoma.

So do it right the first time and get a Tacoma!

Here's a pic of my S-10 trying to look good. What was I thinking?
Old 09-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
The 3.4 is a pretty solid built engine, you're not going to find much problems with the tacoma, only problems I've has was o2 and afr sensors. The chevy 4.3 (if thats the one you're after) are a little under powered for that size of a motor. You are going to get a biased answer on here.

Lift options, you can do bilstiens 5100 (have a set for sale if interested.), Adjustable coilovers, or a drop bracket lift. Stay away from body lifts.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
Go with the flow
Hologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Hologram's Tacoma Gallery
tacoma should be the choice no doubt. but serisouly though, tacomas will last forever. just go through some of the posts about what things need to be changed at certain mileages and you wont see that big of things. i love my tacoma and would always choose this over any truck any day.

btw check this out. i think youll like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk
Old 09-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack

cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Mine's a 99 SR5 4x4 TRD. It's badass! GET THE 99 TAOCMA!

Mine:
Old 09-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
znoi's Tacoma Gallery
alright thanks guys and you were right that video is awesome and what would be wrong with doing body lifts?
Old 09-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
znoi's Tacoma Gallery
and the 99 tacoma acually looks exactly likes your except for the lights in the front
Old 09-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
znoi's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the vid it was pretty great what would be would wrong with doing a body lift?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:40 AM   #11
znoi's Tacoma Gallery
lol thanks so how much would it be for i want to do
1.3in lift
2.33in bfg allterrains
3.skid plate
this is just for now
Old 09-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack

cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by znoi View Post
and the 99 tacoma acually looks exactly likes your except for the lights in the front
I love it. If I ever get rid of it, I'll only upgrade to a newer Tacoma.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Let me give you a few reasons why...
Off-roading capabilities on a Tacoma

Wash her up and take both of them out on a date. She cleans up nicely.

Go Mudding and enjoy every sec of it!

Meet & Greets... This is in Ocotillo Wells east of San Diego

This one is in Pine Valley also east of San Diego.

& the best part is this forum.
We communicate about trails, meets, mods, and well just to admire each others trucks.
You can't go wrong.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
znoi's Tacoma Gallery
haha ya ive decided i want a tacoma more then a s10 and they seem more reliable lol i mean are more reliable so now i jsut gotta find out how much it will be to mod the tacoma i get
Old 09-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
znoi's Tacoma Gallery
and nice truck btw i really like the 2nd gen tacomas but i cant afford them
Old 09-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #16
Lifeoffroad03 is on a distinguished road

Lifeoffroad03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by znoi View Post
hey guys i need help im deciding either from a s10 or the Tacoma ive found both trucks i like but i would like some info about the Tacoma before i choose ive found a stock 1999 tacoma sr5 v6 4x4 what kinds of problems do these trucks have and if i choose this truck how could i lift it the "right" way?
If the truck was taken care of it will never die. That 3.4 manual was probably the best i have owned. Mine was a 99 as well. Very easy to lift. You have many options. I would still have it if it wasn't for the dumbsh!t with no license or insurance hit me and totalled it.

I have known people with the s10 and had many issues. I would be careful. Im not saying they aren't good cause I've never owned one but i have heard from friends that they have had problems. Most notably electrical issues.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #17
znoi's Tacoma Gallery
alright thanks for the info this has helped me alot in my decision
Old 09-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
helbnt is a jewel in the roughhelbnt is a jewel in the roughhelbnt is a jewel in the rough

Name: Shad
helbnt's Tacoma Gallery
Reading trade mags such as Consumer Reports and you'll find that the Tacomas almost always get Editor's Choice and the like, while the Chevy (most domestics actually :-\) get low scores.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #20
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned 2 Chev vehicles that had the 4.3 engine (a blazer and a astro). The blazer needed a transmission replacement at 35,000 milesand the astro needed new transmission at 45,000 miles.

I liked both vehicles but the repairs were expensive!!

Cheers.