1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interested in getter New/Better Brakes

Discussion in 'New Members' started by SpecialED, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Sep 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM
    SpecialED

SpecialED [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Southtern MD (Chuck County)
    Vehicle:
    06' Tacoma Double Cab
    N/A
    I am very unsatisfied with the performance of my stock brakes. Does anyone have a suggestion for new pads or should I get new pads/rotors? I'm just turning 50,000. Thanks in advance for your help!:(

2. Sep 7, 2009 at 8:10 PM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    Common complaint from Taco owners.

I just installed; Slotted rotors, ceramic pads, stainless brake lines..........tested braking before after.......NO difference...

Found out this stuff is just to extend life of components......NO FASTER STOPPING..I tow so hope it keeps rotors from warping

YOU want better braking, have to get bigger brakes.....6 pistons, larger dia rotors..good luck

Ah and at 55 truck stopped dead on 100'

3. Sep 7, 2009 at 10:04 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    I agree with the brakes comment. Most of us think they are too sluggish. Either way, welcome to Tacoma World. Let us know what you find out.

4. Sep 7, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I find this topic interesting. The Tacoma has 12.5" front rotors with 4 piston calipers. It leads its class in stopping distance, and yet people dont like the brakes?

5. Sep 8, 2009 at 12:01 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Hello & welcome.

6. Sep 8, 2009 at 7:53 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

IMO, the brakes are very good. However, they have a different 'feel' than what I think people are used to. In my situation, my wife has a Acura TL. When I step on those brakes, I feel like I am going to go through the windshield. Stops just fine, they just 'feel' tighter. On my Taco, they feel like there is play, but the brakes stop no problem. If you ever stomp on my '09 brakes, I stop pretty quickly. If the Taco's had a stiffer 'feeling' brakes, I bet nobody would say boo.

7. Sep 8, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Yes. But it seems most are comparing the brakes to a car. To me, They are much more firm than my Dodge, or my buddies chevy.

8. Sep 8, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    http://reviews.carreview.com/blog/2007-toyota-tacoma-review

Down:
    -Spongy brakes.

I agree, mine are fine now that I know they are suppose to be like this.... can't find the stopping distance, but

I stopped from 55mph - 0 in avg (6) 100'.......stock and after slotted/ceramic/SS lines.......THATS pretty damn good!

/

9. Sep 8, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    If you can engage ABS, upgrading your brake components won't do you much good. Slotted rotors, different pad compounds, etc will generally only maintain your braking performance farther into your performance envelop (ie - you will get less brake fade as your brakes heat up as when traveling downhill or on a track...in an XR I would think, but I've seen stranger things).

If you don't like the feel of the stock brakes, different pads and braided steel brake lines will help with the initial bite, but once you hit the ABS wall, it's all about your tires.

To the OP...I would be willing to bet a decent brake service will get your brakes where you want them. No need for flashy aftermarket components, OEM will do just as well.

10. Sep 8, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I think the brakes are fine, but they are a little spongy. Toyota would have to redesign the hydraulic brake system to fix that issue. As long as the truck stops in a short distance, I'm happy, but firmer brakes would add confidence in panic stops. JMO.

Products Discussed in

To Top