Notices

Looking for camping mobile

Old 09-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
zzdrewman is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
zzdrewman's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for camping mobile

What's going on

So, I'm tired of packing 4 kayaks and camping gear onto the top of my acura rsx .Oh yeah, that includes people inside.

It's time for a truck. I have always loved the tacoma. So, here starts the adventure.

Looking for an 05 and up 4x4 (got a few fishing/camping spots that can get muddy). I have been wondering if I should go DC or ext. cab.

Also, is the TRD a bit higher? Not really a huge deal, but if I could find a TRD whether its sport or off road I'd probably snag it.

Two last thing before my noobieness rubs off . . . how much can the plug in the bed support? Does the truck have to be on or off? Stick or auto? I drive a 6 spd right now and have never had an auto! Not sure I want it!

I have searched most of these questions, but the notice above keeps prompting me to write!

Thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Go get yourself a Double Cab. I have an Xtra cab right now, and hate the lack of room. TRD Off Road package is great, I've got that. Auto works well and make sure and get a 4x4. Best of luck getting one!
Old 09-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I have an '07 Access cab and I do not have a single regret. The TRD packages come with slightly larger tires, giving them an extra .5" clearance.

The access cab is very roomy, but the rear is not suited for long drives with passengers. I also have a 4 Cyl 4x4 with a 5 speed and I will tell you, there is not a single thing that has disappointed me about the truck (Except for the stock tires).

It has taken me through water up to the registration sticker on the windshiled, over rocks, down 4 wheeler trails, etc. Only one obsticle has hindered it and that was due to tire traction
Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 07 access cab TRD off road and I love it and would not even think of trading it for a DC. Its perfect for me the other half and my two dogs, I dont really drive people around so I dont need 4 full doors.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
Thanks guys! I'm so torn between the DC and the xcab.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
My suggestion is the DC. It depends on your needs though. There will always be those rare situations where you wish you had the other. Like today I had to haul some stuff and I had both my parents in my truck. My back seat is not really suitable for a 6'1" full grown man to be back there. I wish I had a DC when I need the room. But I'm glad to have an Xtra cab so I can just reach back and slide the window open on the back windshield. Next time I get a new Tacoma, I will probably get a DC. But that's just me. Just ask yourself who will be using/riding in it. And what you will be using it for. That will usually answer your questions.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
I like the AC with the longer bed. I have a Thule Xsporter rack for the kayaks and the whole set up is perfect for my needs. I have had people ride in the back, I guess if they didnt like the ride they could always drive themselves.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
DC + more friends = more fun!
Welcome to Tacoma World.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
DC w/ TRD 4x4. I used to always buy the base version of vehicles and end up installing "extras". Just go for the gold. Sometimes it might be worth driving or flying to another state to find a vehicle. At least it was for me.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdrewman View Post
how much can the plug in the bed support? Does the truck have to be on or off? Stick or auto?
The truck needs to be on. You only get 100 watts while driving but at idle in P or N it'll give you 400w.

I went with auto cause I'm lazy.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
Jedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 0621 Field Radio Operator, Cpl
Name: Josh
Jedi7Taco's Tacoma Gallery
DC LB 4x4 FTW!!!

I had an 06 access cab for almost 2 years, and it was a nice truck, but the lack of room killed me and my friends. So, sold it and got the DC and wish I would have went this route the first time. More room for people and gear, plus more people means more money for gas. I take long snowboard and mountain bike trips, so this works perfect for my situation. Either way you will have a great truck, cheers
Old 09-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #13
Thanks so much! I should be headin this weekend to check em out! I'm just going to drive everything under the sun and pick what I think. I got the money just a waitin'