1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Accidental Noob in Sacramento...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by scocar, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Nov 11, 2009 at 10:48 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Why accidental? How did I get here?

I used to have a 93 Xcab 4wd 5spd DX with the venerable 22RE four-banger...until a dark and stormy day...and extremely windy day...when a huge branch fell on it. The guys at Bertolucci's said they couldn't figure out a way to get it right without cutting off the roof and welding on a new one, and then there was the windshieled, hood, and left fender, and radiator. They knew they couldn't fix this 16-year-old truck for anything near 80% of its value, and AAA would total it. Truth be told, I could have driven it away...carefully (ever seen that Top Gear episode with the Hilux?). Someone will get an awesome salvage deal, with virtually new Michelins, fully serviced drive line, freshly adjusted valves, all the crazy impossible little coolant hoses replaced a few months ago, only 200K on it. Thank god I didn't replace the whole exhaust system like I was about to do.

So I had to decide, quick, what did I want to do? I am not an offroader per se, mainly using the 4wd for snowboarding and backcountry camping and hiking. But I need a truck for projects and stuff. I freaked out while I had the rental car and realized that getting some 2x4s and some concrete was a big pain in the ass with a car! How do people live like that?!?!

Hmmm, maybe I should check out the new Tacomas and took one for a drive. Pretty nice, but bigger and, gee, pretty freaking expensive for the spec. I wanted. And hey, they are wider, and I don't think the garbage cans will get past it in my narrow driveway next to my old bungalow. That would drive me nuts. Well what about the earlier Tacos?

So I find this forum (and some others) and start digging like hell for what to look for and expect. Pretty soon, I had my sights set on a stock 2001-2004 Xcab V6 SR5 TRD 5-speed. Looked far and wide, all over Norcal, only two in Sac and both salvage titles! WTF!?!?!

I snagged one way down in Santa Cruz, 2001 (built Aug. 01), 102k, clean Carfax, single owner, dealer service records for 30k, 60k, and 90k, including T-belt. Nice matching Snugtop. I spent 2 hours in, over, and under it, and all I could find was a broken pop-out window latch, burned out bulb behind the fan control, a missing screw in a mudflap, and it needed an alignment and some different rubber. Well, OK, the fender flares and bumpers need some TLC. Oh, and it smelled a bit like damp dog.

I snagged it, and after a lot of cleaning, the smell is gone, it is all aligned and wearing Michelin LTX AT2s, and it is FREAKING AWESOME! More powerful, quieter, more comfortable, all this little buttons that do things automatically like open the windows and cruise control. Gee whiz, what will they think of next?

So on this forum, I look up squeaky clutch pedal. Bam! Thread for that. I Look up floor jack...BAM (by the way, Costco is bringing back the Arcan 3.5T XL35R this winter sometime, I was just there and asked). Ipod adapter...BAM! Dash removal...BAM!

You guys, or folks, or whatever you are, you all rock.

DSC04397.jpg

2. Nov 11, 2009 at 10:52 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    :thumbsup:

good choice going 01-04

3. Nov 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Hello & welcome.

4. Nov 11, 2009 at 11:19 PM
    LoHoNas

LoHoNas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Jackson TX.
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DC TRDSPORT MGM
    Debadged, Fog light mod,Grillcraft, Icons,TC UCA's, OME dakar leaf pack,Procomp 7089,BFG KM2 285/70/17 JVC NAV
    :wave:Welcome Nice first post!!

5. Nov 11, 2009 at 11:23 PM
    LoHoNas

LoHoNas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Jackson TX.
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DC TRDSPORT MGM
    Debadged, Fog light mod,Grillcraft, Icons,TC UCA's, OME dakar leaf pack,Procomp 7089,BFG KM2 285/70/17 JVC NAV
    I had a the same color ext. cab TRD just like that new in 2000. I miss that truck a lot.:rolleyes:

6. Nov 12, 2009 at 2:23 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    :wave:Welcome to TW.

7. Nov 12, 2009 at 2:38 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    welcome, yo.

8. Nov 12, 2009 at 3:39 AM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    welcome to tw

9. Nov 12, 2009 at 4:33 AM
    WoadWunner

WoadWunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    17 Accesscab TRD Offroad Inferno
    Tonneau Cover, Devils Horns on the way, Blackened Grill, LED Low beams and Fogs, weathertecs
    Good find, welcome to TW

10. Nov 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Thanks, all. Here is the "totaled" 93, in an auction yard somewhere by now, I guess...

14 years of turn-the-key-and-go, all over the Sierras, Oregon beaches and mountains, Washington. Crawling out of the back on frosty mornings to shoot sunrises...

Just turned 200k. The guys at the body shop said it was immaculate. Three came over to talk to me as I was doing the final cleanout...sniff...it served me well.

Now, on to other business, like do I hit the fender flares with a heat gun, or the boot polish, or the peanut butter (hmmm, not good for Yosemite and bears...), the plastikote, or some expensive mystery goo? Oh yeah, and the Ipod adapter...

HPIM0664.jpg
    HPIM0666.jpg
    HPIM0665.jpg
    HPIM0668.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top