Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Just Moved to Alaska - Ready to Explore

Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
whiteyAK is on a distinguished road

Name: John
whiteyAK's Tacoma Gallery
Just Moved to Alaska - Ready to Explore

This is my second toy pickup. Had an 87 std that I drove to 225K miles and still kicking at that. Happy to talk about that one with anyone, though I'm pretty middle of the road mechanically. Bought our current 97 this past summer - the truck I always wanted pretty much - 4x4, 5 speed, shell, great shape at 90K miles. Of course it's due for it's 90K mile service - a few questions on that.

Living in Anchorage, I've got a database marketing background - I've sent a lot of spam in my time... the good kind if there is such a thing . My wife got a job and now I'm looking. We love Alaska and the outdoors. Didn't mind moving up in the winter even after living in SoCal.

Looking forward to chatting with you all and possibly meeting other AK toyotites.

Best, John
Old 11-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW.

Always wanted to visit AK. I bet there are some awesome places to take a tacoma up there. Plus all the wonderful hunting and fishing.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowham View Post
Always wanted to visit AK. I bet there are some awesome places to take a tacoma up there. Plus all the wonderful hunting and fishing.
Sittin in Kaladi Coffee on Tudor watching the sun come up over the Chugach. Stunning stuff. I think everyone should visit this place once in their life.

".....Ill make sure to keep my email addy out of ur hands."

"I done gave up my spammin' ways"
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to TW..!!

I was born there, haven't been back since I was 4. I need to go visit some time.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
adktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of light
Navy: mm-subs
Name: danny
adktacoma's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to tw, sure do miss ak. chilkoot charlies...lol
Old 11-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to AK! Up here in Anchorage too. Your gonna love it here. I hope your ready for the darkness.....
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #9

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTRD View Post
Welcome to AK! Up here in Anchorage too. Your gonna love it here. I hope your ready for the darkness.....
Only here a week, but liking it so far. We visited last March for a taste of winter. Got a south facing apt. Seems like more sunshine here than Seattle due to fewer clouds. We'll get out on x-country skiis to help keep sane.

Air Force? What do you do? I've got a cousin at McChord, Load Master.

Also looking for a good shop in the area, non dealer, if you recommend any.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
DellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dell
DellGSG5's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW !!!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnv View Post
Good move gettin out of Cali that place looks like its about to fall into the Pacific its so screwed up almost as bad as where Im from in New Jersey we got crooked politicians coming out of the woodwork,its been a lifelong dream of mine to visit Alaska got real close once in British Columbia also welcome to TW hope to hear from you on how its going for you up there and about your Toyotas too.
It's bad in budget terms. Hopefully they do some constitution re-writing. But Cali will rebound no doubt. Lots of other states in crappy shape too.

Pic of the truck during the move:

Old 11-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyAK View Post
Thanks all.

Only here a week, but liking it so far. We visited last March for a taste of winter. Got a south facing apt. Seems like more sunshine here than Seattle due to fewer clouds. We'll get out on x-country skiis to help keep sane.

Air Force? What do you do? I've got a cousin at McChord, Load Master.

Also looking for a good shop in the area, non dealer, if you recommend any.
Yeah the darkness isn't too bad right now but just wait. It get worse. Not as bad as farther up north but it stays pretty dark. I think the worst it get is like 4-5 hours of daylight. Summers are just the opposite though which is really nice.

I work ammo. Only got about a year and a half left up here though. Leave here around the beginning of 2011.

Don't know about any shops up here. Bought my truck brand new and haven't had any problems yet.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Alaska; the last frontier

Yeah....I have about had it with California, It's a very beautiful state and there is plenty to do. But it is so poorly managed and corrupted it makes me sick to my stomach. Plus there is way too many people here.

I was actually thinking about Alaska as a state to go to if or when CA completely takes a dump. But I have a question, what is the ratio of girls to men? Is it a sausage fest or is there a good amount of good looking girls in Alaska?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
Yeah....I have about had it with California, It's a very beautiful state and there is plenty to do. But it is so poorly managed and corrupted it makes me sick to my stomach. Plus there is way too many people here.

I was actually thinking about Alaska as a state to go to if or when CA completely takes a dump. But I have a question, what is the ratio of girls to men? Is it a sausage fest or is there a good amount of good looking girls in Alaska?
The girl ratio is not that bad. There are quite a bit of good looking girls out on the weekends. I wouldn't say this place is the best place to go looking though. I am not saying that there are no good girls up here just the pickins are slim.