Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Ski Rack in Bed

Old 12-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
nemesis4 is on a distinguished road
nemesis4's Tacoma Gallery
Ski Rack in Bed

Well this might be random but possible future Tacoma owner here and avid skier. Id be getting the Access cab and I think the roof is too short for a rack? Anyways what would all you owners say to drilling holes into the bedliner for a regular Thule ski rack? Make it removable and plug up the holes when not in use with rubber stops or something. Thanks for any input and Im not shy to modding heres my current baby, lots of mods, most interior and all DIY. 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6

Old 12-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
that is one sick puppy you got man. ummm i'm sure someone will give you some info about your situation, should be a pretty easy fix me thinks
Old 12-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
would something like this work?
not a skier so I am just throwing this out there
Attached Thumbnails
Ski Rack in Bed-ta.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
I was looking for something in the bed since Id plan on getting a tonneau cover but it might!! Thanks for the idea. I could attach the rack to those crossmembers. And thanks for praise jodidly, ill have to go tell my Hyundai friends I was gettin props from a Toyota owner :P
This is what Id get

Old 12-09-2009, 05:10 AM   #6
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
They do make roof racks for the DoubleCab. I don't know if it will work with AC. It's actually neat in that it folds into itself for when you don't need it.
http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/tacoma-...cab-p-391.html

Do you need to use a rack? For me one of the reasons I got a truck was because I was sick of dealing with racks. Just get a rubber bed mat to stop the sliding and to protect your wax on your skis. I'm a snowboarder but it works out fine for me. I got the Tacoma mat for $100 from the dealer, but there are cheaper after market ones.

Before the mat, my board would slide all over and strip the wax.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:22 AM   #7
red taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Cole
red taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAYo2002 View Post
They do make roof racks for the DoubleCab. I don't know if it will work with AC. It's actually neat in that it folds into itself for when you don't need it.
http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/tacoma-...cab-p-391.html

Do you need to use a rack? For me one of the reasons I got a truck was because I was sick of dealing with racks. Just get a rubber bed mat to stop the sliding and to protect your wax on your skis. I'm a snowboarder but it works out fine for me. I got the Tacoma mat for $100 from the dealer, but there are cheaper after market ones.

Before the mat, my board would slide all over and strip the wax.
Also folding the bidings up and setting it upside down helps too. I really think that you could put your ski's in the back of the truck without a rack very easily without them getting damaged. I say test it out once then decide if you need a rack. Getting skis or a board rewaxed is cheaper than buying a rack and not being able to return it.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:30 AM   #8
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do any of those things...

Do this... my custom build.

PM me for more info on it.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #10
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
He could make the brackets sit lower.
That's ingenious NumNutz.

I have a Saris rack I'm not using and this would work inside my cap.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #11
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Except he wants a tonneau cover....
See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
He could make the brackets sit lower.
That's ingenious NumNutz.

I have a Saris rack I'm not using and this would work inside my cap.
Thanks Doc.SS.

Yup you're exactly right. When he goes to buy his "L" brackets he will need to buy ones that are extended longer than 5 inches basically to fit a tonneau cover.

BTW... All you guys that bought your rack, you probably sent around $400. I spent $150 including the ski carrier.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #12
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
I say invest in a locking bed cover and put it in the bed.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
NumNutz that is EXACTLY what im looking for, I would get a removable tonneau cover, my dad has one on his truck that folds up and can store just about anywhere, I'd just take it off when i go skiing, /thread thanks guys for all your help!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
uhh...throw your skis in the bed? That's ONE reason why I bought a 4x4 truck. For a ski/board hauler. All my friends have sedans with snow tires, and shoving multiple boards and skis in the back's a bitch. So I'm just going to be the gear hauler when we go up. Might want a locking tonneau, though.

I'm sure you can find a roof rack to mount a ski rack on the top, though. My $5 goodwill Thule racks fit fine about 2.5 feet apart on my corolla...the taco's roof is longer than that I'm sure.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachou View Post
uhh...throw your skis in the bed? That's ONE reason why I bought a 4x4 truck. For a ski/board hauler. All my friends have sedans with snow tires, and shoving multiple boards and skis in the back's a bitch. So I'm just going to be the gear hauler when we go up. Might want a locking tonneau, though.

I'm sure you can find a roof rack to mount a ski rack on the top, though. My $5 goodwill Thule racks fit fine about 2.5 feet apart on my corolla...the taco's roof is longer than that I'm sure.
Throwing your stuff in the back is a bad idea. I busted an edge on one of my boards from them sliding around. I know you can just tie them down or whatever but mine looks good and is inexpensive. I'll put a bike rack on in the summer as well or maybe a cargo carrier.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #17
black cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
black cx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
Don't do any of those things...

Do this... my custom build.

PM me for more info on it.

sicksetup
Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #18
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks PM coming.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #19
TACOMA 2011
2011TACOMAWHR has a spectacular aura about2011TACOMAWHR has a spectacular aura about
Name: aaron
2011TACOMAWHR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
would something like this work?
not a skier so I am just throwing this out there
Where did you get this
Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
Longtime reader first time poster
fatchance is on a distinguished road
Name: Chance
fatchance's Tacoma Gallery