1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Yoda

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Jeff, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Oct 10, 2006 at 2:03 PM
    Jeff

Jeff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Bought my first Toyota last week . I got a Brilliant Red, V6, access cab, SR5 pkg, 6spd, tow hitch, no off road package.

I am a big Toyota fan for many years, I know how good they are overall. Truck is real nice, will be using it to tow my 1000pd boat.

My hobbies are bass fishing, Forumul One as I have attended many races over the last 30yrs. Its too bad that Toyota cannot do better in F1, what a waste of $$$.

Two of my best friends have Toyota trucks just like mine and they all keep them long term.

2. Oct 10, 2006 at 3:24 PM
    twoarezee

twoarezee Well-Known Member

Member:
    esco, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 Dropped Mini
    rims,tires,3"/6" drop, 4x4 front end, 01 tails and corners, prerunner buckets,tenzo r steering wheel w/ momo hub, b&m shifterw/ jdm trd knob, alpine system, tint, 3 3/4" autometer tach, jardine cat back, k&n, debaged, hellwig rear sway bar, kyb monomax shocks, tundra v8 oil filter w/ mobil 1 in ever
    congrats on the purchase.i dont see any reason for you to not keep it long term like your boys because taco's last forever.

3. Oct 10, 2006 at 8:27 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Welcome to TW

I didn't think there were any American fans left. And Jarno and Ralf did fairly well at Suzuka. I think they need better drivers

4. Oct 11, 2006 at 4:41 AM
    Jeff

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Thanks for the welcome. Toyota's budget for F1 racing is very high, with very poor results, some of this has to do with its current drivers and the rest is engineering, mostly aero problems, as the engines do put out enough power.

They should make every attempt to secure at least one top driver very soon.
    Most of Yarno and Ralf's efforts are just so-so, they are never really in it and just slide along and take advantage of where they are and who has crashed or DFN'ed.

I am suprised at Toyota's poor performance, this can be expected in the first few years as the learning curve is very steep but they have had the time to do that.

There are a lot of F1 fans in the US, I have been to Montreal GP for over 20yrs and the attendence there is very good to outstanding.

Question : do either of you use the cold air K&N or TRD intake system? If so has it made a difference? What about synthetic oil? What is your opinion on that?

I do plan on keeping this truck for many years and it will receive the best of care and maint, just like the rest of the cars in our family.
    Thanks for the reply. jeff

5. Oct 13, 2006 at 11:15 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy

For Cold Air Intakes, URDUSA is going to be releasing one here at the end of the month and there is also Volant. I've heard a lot of negative feedback regarding the K&N filters not filtering too well and some people actually killing their engines with them. If you do get an intake you will have to retune it. Speak to or e-mail Gadget or Brian at URD they can help you out tremendously. Synthetic oil, I've been running it(first Castrol Syntech then Mobil1) in my '05 since the first oil change and no complaints. I've been thinking about getting a Amsoil remote filter setup and running their full synthetic (just a matter of money right now).

6. Oct 13, 2006 at 2:05 PM
    Jeff

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the cold intake info, so far it may be hard to justify the cost of a cold intake system with the only increase I think I would like and that is fuel mileage. However I will continue to check out systems and two of my neighbors have the K&N systems and TRD superchargers on there trucks. The supercharges are great but I don't need the jump to premium fuel, which is necessary even though they do put out increased HP.
    Both my friends with the above trucks have had toyota trucks for years and always have used K&N products and have never had any problems.
    I do have plenty of time as the engine has less than 500K on it. I was wondering what your frequency of oil changes is with the Mobil 1 ? Currenty my last car was fed Mobil 1 from the beginning and my other family car is a Subaru and that has had Mobil One all its life.
    I could not seem to get above 7K before the oil got dirty and I always used quality filters.
    Normal oil changes with regular oil are 3-4K, though Toyota says 5K is fine. Very inexpensive with regular oil but like I said I had hope to double that with Mobil One.
    My two friends with the supercharged trucks have never used syn in any of there trucks. They do there oil at 3000k.

These, of course, are personal preferences and would like to here from other Toyota owners as to there thoughts. Thanks again for the cold intake info and I will certainly look at it.

7. May 31, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
    :wave:

8. May 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
    just installed trd intake gained back my hp lost from installing oversized tires. syn. mobil one after the free oil changes stopped no problems.

9. May 31, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    Irish020

Irish020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's
    Welcome from PA, you won't be disappointed in your truck. Beware, we will make you spend money.....:D

10. May 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    AcadianTaco

AcadianTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    N.B. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD OFFROAD
    OME 885X with Bilstein 5100, Dakars with 5125, Wheeler's bumpstops, LR UCA
    Welcome to TW from New Brunswick Canada. Enjoy your new Tacoma. :thumbsup:

11. Jun 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Welcome to TW from Nova Scotia.

Frank

Products Discussed in

To Top