1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K&N cold air intake

Discussion in 'New Members' started by OCTaco, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Jan 18, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Hello TW,
    I’m new to the forum so let me apologize and thank you all upfront. I have posted one other thread and you guys helped out alot. Anyways here is the deal. I have just intalled a 63 series K&N cold air intake on my 06 Tacoma Pre-Runner. It has the V6 4L engine. The thing is IDK if it is actually getting better MPG and i think it runs better on the factory intake. This really bums me out because i did spend like 300 bucks on the kit and i feel like its money in the trash. I just feel like i need to give it a little more gas than i used to in order for it to speed up. Also i think it idles at higher RPMS. It used to idle and 500 rpm while in Drive and 750 while parked. Now it more like 550 in drive and 800 while parked. Anyone else have this same kit? Did your gas peddle feel less of more responsive? Is anyone actually getting better MPG with this kit? It might just be me being paranoid but i think i might switch back to the stock intake and just take the hit on the 300.

P.S.
    I know you guys will have some basic questions like... Is there an air leak? Did you install it correctly? Is the air sensor on? Did you connect the vacuum hoses? The answer to all of these questions is yes. Nothing out of the ordinary going on, just the things described in the top section. Thanks for the help TW.

2. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

I hate to break it to ya, but the only "Cold Air Intakes" I have seen give an increase in HP, are the TRD (about 2 or 3), and the URD. Most "Cold" air intakes pull the intake air from the engine bay, thus being a misnomer, as they are pulling HOT air, as the OEM intake gets its air from an isolated spot in the fender well. To add, the spot in the fender in which the OEM intake draws the air, is a high pressure area of the fender.

3. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    Welcome to TW!

Such a showoff!

4. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    That intake will hurt MPG and Torque...stock map is best IMHO.

Get a AFE drop in and call it a day.

5. Jan 18, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Man thats what i was afraid of. I guess ill just use the stock intake. Its funny because on their webiste K&N Promises hp increase and fuel economy increase.

Products Discussed in

To Top