1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello from a future Taco owner.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by mjhenks, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Feb 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    mjhenks

mjhenks [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So.Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Jade Green TRD V6 DC
    Hello,

Introduce myself. Looking for a 1st gen Taco for my next car. Driving a Accord now but need something that hauls kids and something in the bed. Drove my buddies 03 Crew cab and decided to find one of my own.

Hoping to find something with under 100K on it and fairly clean. Reading the forum right now to determine what to look for. I typically do all my own work so i am also getting familiar with what is typical for repairs and PM. (Like timing belt. That is not fun on a Accord)

Not sure if i want a I-4 or V6. My commute is ~8 miles one way on the freeway so the truck will not see alot of miles and on the weekend we usually drive our 04 Sienna. Not sure about the mileage vs HP trade-off.

Some questions i do have:

how do each of these engines behave after 100K? Do you see power drop off alot?
    How are the transmissions?
    Is that V6 the same as the Sienna V6?

Anyway, totally new here and looking to learn.

Matthew

2. Feb 2, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    :wave: Welcome to the site!!

3. Feb 2, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
  4. Feb 2, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    Edrin55

Edrin55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Chula Vista, CA (Eastlake)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Magnetic Gray TRD Sport Access Cab
    Avid Off Road Light Bar Line-X'd, Black Sand Pearl Hood Scoope, Truck Covers USA metal roll up bed cover, Thule Custom lockable light bar, TRD Sport Exhaust, Line-X'd TRD skid plate, Slee Off Road Sliders, Upgraded 3.5" Rearview Mirror/Monitor, Anytime Foglight Mod. (TY Jeff), Smoked Foglights, SilverStar Headlight & Foglight Bulbs, Tinted windows all around, Vent visors, Bed mat with security mod, Wet Okoles front & back, Race/Sport Pedals, Tailgate Clamps, PopNLcok 5300 Tailgate Lock, All weather mats, Helo 17x8 Hubcentric Rims & BFG All Terrain 265/70/17, Blisteins 5100's all around with mini leaf add to the rears, AFE Pro Dry drop in filter, Go Rhino Hitch Step, TRD License Plate Frames and Tire Valve Covers. GrillCraft MX Mesh upper and lower grills with "old school TOYOTA" FJ emblem, Cobra CB Radio, Firestick CB Antenna with custom mount.
  5. Feb 2, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  6. Feb 2, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Welcome to TW from TX.

7. Feb 2, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    Hello, welcome to TW! I almost bought a 1st gen a few years ago with over 200,000 mi on it. A guy I worked with had it for years, and was selling it, then he wasn't, then he was.... :goingcrazy: He wouldn't sell it in the end, as it was running fine with no problems.

8. Feb 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    huddleston

huddleston Well-Known Member

Member:
    welcome to TW, good luck finding your truck.

9. Feb 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    TreacherousTido

TreacherousTido New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tido
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    '08 its ginormous
    Neon Orange, Blue flames, Spoiler, Pink Skulls, Confederate flag on top, Baby on Board bumper , nitro boost, stickers , wood paneling, john deer sticker on windshield, 2 foot man-step, elevated suspension,
    Im not sure this is the site for somebody who is looking to buy a Taco. Welcome to the site though. :)

10. Feb 3, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    mjhenks

Member:
    So.Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Jade Green TRD V6 DC
    Why do you say that?

Seams like this is a good site so far to learn about them. No better way to learn what to look for then to read about what you all are fixing and asking.

Did that when i bought my 04 Sienna. helped me know what to look for.

11. Feb 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    mjhenks

Member:
    So.Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Jade Green TRD V6 DC
    Now i am a owner of a Taco.

Found a 2004 Crew Cab last weekend. V6, TRD with 93K miles. Green. Stock except upgraded rims. Has some dings but in overall good shape. Very happy. Shifting into overdrive in learning. Plans for it are a bed liner, tow hitch, bed cover of some sort, side steps and fix the things that will nag me.

Will post separate helps but I am digging to find out more about these nags:

Axle wrap. Going to need to replace the leaf springs in the next few thousand miles I think. Clunking when I stop moderate to hard. Do not want to add lift so no AAL’s. I greased the axle coupler and that settled things down a lot. My leaf springs are flat with no load in the bed. Do not think that is normal. Have done lots of searching on this already but still need to learn more as I really do not want to add lift.

Rear driver seat rattles. Is this common? Seams like the bushing is really loose.

Timing belt procedure. Looking for one. Found the water pump procedure and have the manual. Looking for good tips. I’ve done the timing belt on an accord so I am familiar with what needs to be done.

Anyway, hoping to learn and maybe contribute at some time.

Will post pictures when the upload cooperates with me but it looks like every other 2004 green double cab. (Just locks up right now)

12. Feb 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Congrats!! :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top