1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to get another yota

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Jahwn, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Feb 10, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    Jahwn

Jahwn [OP] Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma ext. cab 4x4 V6 5spd
    Hi folks.
    I'm an old toyota guy who's looking to get a 4x4 Tacoma soon. Been driving a big Dodge Cummins diesel for awhile, and I'm sick of wrenching on the thing so it's time to get back to my roots.
    I think the 01-04 is what I'm going for. Anything to look for on these year trucks before I buy? The good, the bad, etc.?
    Also, which year did they start making the push button 4x4? I'd like to have the transfer case shifter on the floor if possible, old school style.
    Glad to be here, and I look forward to learning more!

2. Feb 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    Hello, welcome to TW!

4. Feb 10, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Howdy...I left the diesel scene last month...I don't miss it at all. I was allways having to do something to my Powerstroke.

5. Feb 11, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    Jahwn

Jahwn [OP] Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma ext. cab 4x4 V6 5spd
    Yep, the wrenching NEVER stops. For me, the diesel engine has been flawless. It's just everything else that seems to fall apart or wear out quickly, brakes, ball joints, tie rod ends, plastics everywhere, etc. Dang trucks are heavy!

I owned two Toyotas back in the early 90's, a '93 4 Runner and a '92 extra cab V6. Both were 4x4 and both manual transmissions. The 4 Runner was great, but I couldn't afford the payments so I bought the truck. Truck was awesome until head gaskets starting blowing. Then a new long block went in, and then 30k miles later another head gasket. After that, I was done with it and went the diesel route. Now I'm ready for a newer yota that will hopefully last!

6. Feb 11, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Welcome aboard from a former '90 extended cab 4X4, 85 4Runner, and '00 Reg cab 4X4 owner. Also went the head gasket route on the '90 (recall). All of them had the "get out and engage" front ends. Loved them all....but really like the '10 I have now...(probably cuz I'm gettin old!) Good luck in your search!

7. Feb 11, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    91Toyotabogger

91Toyotabogger "Loud Tires Can Save Lives"

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    91 4wd 5sp manual Pickup Standard cab white
    Mud Tires, CD player, CB radio with PA speaker, De-badged, window decals, Flow Master 40 series
    o yeah my dad had a Cummins 24 valve Turbo then got a Power Smoke, replaced locking hubs, wheel bearings, glow plugs and turbo pendulum 3k later its like brand new...lol...welcome

Products Discussed in

To Top