Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Looking to get another yota

Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Jahwn is on a distinguished road

Jahwn's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to get another yota

Hi folks.
I'm an old toyota guy who's looking to get a 4x4 Tacoma soon. Been driving a big Dodge Cummins diesel for awhile, and I'm sick of wrenching on the thing so it's time to get back to my roots.
I think the 01-04 is what I'm going for. Anything to look for on these year trucks before I buy? The good, the bad, etc.?
Also, which year did they start making the push button 4x4? I'd like to have the transfer case shifter on the floor if possible, old school style.
Glad to be here, and I look forward to learning more!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future

4low2go's Tacoma Gallery
Hello, welcome to TW!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Howdy...I left the diesel scene last month...I don't miss it at all. I was allways having to do something to my Powerstroke.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Jahwn is on a distinguished road

Jahwn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwatertaco View Post
Howdy...I left the diesel scene last month...I don't miss it at all. I was allways having to do something to my Powerstroke.
Yep, the wrenching NEVER stops. For me, the diesel engine has been flawless. It's just everything else that seems to fall apart or wear out quickly, brakes, ball joints, tie rod ends, plastics everywhere, etc. Dang trucks are heavy!

I owned two Toyotas back in the early 90's, a '93 4 Runner and a '92 extra cab V6. Both were 4x4 and both manual transmissions. The 4 Runner was great, but I couldn't afford the payments so I bought the truck. Truck was awesome until head gaskets starting blowing. Then a new long block went in, and then 30k miles later another head gasket. After that, I was done with it and went the diesel route. Now I'm ready for a newer yota that will hopefully last!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
Welcome aboard from a former '90 extended cab 4X4, 85 4Runner, and '00 Reg cab 4X4 owner. Also went the head gasket route on the '90 (recall). All of them had the "get out and engage" front ends. Loved them all....but really like the '10 I have now...(probably cuz I'm gettin old!) Good luck in your search!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
"Loud Tires Can Save Lives"
91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

91Toyotabogger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwn View Post
Yep, the wrenching NEVER stops. For me, the diesel engine has been flawless. It's just everything else that seems to fall apart or wear out quickly, brakes, ball joints, tie rod ends, plastics everywhere, etc. Dang trucks are heavy!

I owned two Toyotas back in the early 90's, a '93 4 Runner and a '92 extra cab V6. Both were 4x4 and both manual transmissions. The 4 Runner was great, but I couldn't afford the payments so I bought the truck. Truck was awesome until head gaskets starting blowing. Then a new long block went in, and then 30k miles later another head gasket. After that, I was done with it and went the diesel route. Now I'm ready for a newer yota that will hopefully last!
o yeah my dad had a Cummins 24 valve Turbo then got a Power Smoke, replaced locking hubs, wheel bearings, glow plugs and turbo pendulum 3k later its like brand new...lol...welcome
Old 11-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
jeff b has a spectacular aura aboutjeff b has a spectacular aura aboutjeff b has a spectacular aura about

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
Check the frame! Some 1st gens had frame rust issues you don't want to buy someone's problems.