1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to make Mods to Tacoma

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Gunner86, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Apr 15, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    Gunner86

Gunner86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Spring Valley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    1. Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT (First Mod, found an addiction, more to come)
    Well I am new to Tacoma World, thought I would check it out. Looks like the best place to get help and advice when looking to do mods to a beautiful truck such as the Tacoma. Right now I have a few things in mind, hoping I can get some guidance. One thing I would like to do is a solid axle swap, with a lift. Also wondering if front and rear lockers are posible. See I got a buddy with a 08 Rubicon, and he seems to think his jeep is the the best thing for off road and rock crawling. I would like to show him up in my truck. If anyone can give me some input or point me in the right direction that would be great. Happy to be a new member!

2. Apr 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    First off, welcome to TW! :)

If the first mod you're considering is a solid axle swap, you're in for a tremendous amount of work. Expect several months of downtime and anywhere from $10k-$15k in cost if you have someone else do the work.

These trucks are very capable with some minor modifications. If you're looking for articulation you might want to consider a long-travel front suspension system. Keeps the IFS but increases wheel travel to around 14". Match that with some flexy rear springs, a rear locker, and some nice tires and you'll get through most, if not all, of what the Rubicon will.

3. Apr 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Welcome ^^^^ I must agree with the post above... I've seen a few straight axle swaps myself but for the $$$ a top notch lift & some other mods make much more fiscal sense (not to dis those that HAVE done it - the mod is killer!):cool:

4. Apr 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Welcome to TW!

If you are set on SAS then check out "The Beast" build in the 2nd Gen build section.

5. Apr 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    Welcome you made the right choice of both, the Truck and source for help. Good luck! with the future MODs and dont forget to create a Build thread ...

6. Apr 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    Gunner86

Gunner86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Spring Valley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Thanks for the adviece on the long-travel front suspension system. I am not looking to spend a large amount of money, so maybe a better choice. What brand would you suggest I go with?

7. Apr 15, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Since you are in CA, I would suggest Engage Offroad (No 4x4 yet). Other brands to think about - All Pro: for 4x4, Total Chaos, Camburg.

8. Apr 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
  9. Apr 15, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    Gunner86

Gunner86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Spring Valley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Thanks a lot guys, I was not expecting so many responses so quickly. You have been a lot of help, I already feel like I made the right choice in being a memeber.

Products Discussed in

To Top