1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New guy looking to beef up my Taco

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ick, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Apr 18, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    ick

ick [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Taco 4X4 SR5
    Hello everyone. I've actually never joined a forum before so I guess I'm just introducing myself here. I'm getting set to drastically change my '06 Taco. I'm going to lift it, put new wheels and tires on it and a cat-back. Also, I'm going to get a diff lock (probably from a junk yard - I didn't get that option with my non-TRD and it's waaaay too much $ at the dealer). Also, I added a cold air intake. The purpose for all of this, of course, is to take it off road. So with that in mind, does anyone know where I can get some good advice where to start, places to get parts, etc.? I wanted Mickey Thompson Classic Lock wheels, a Skyjacker 3" suspension lift, Flowmaster Series 50 cat back, BF Goodrich KM2s and lots of other things. If anyone has info on why any of these may not be a good idea or if there are better alternatives, manufacturers, etc. Please, let me know. I'm new to all of this and this Taco is my first new truck. I've always had cars. But I'm in love with Tacoma now and want to get the most out of it. But I'm kinda ignorant to alot of the ins and outs with suspension, tires, wheels, exhause, etc.

2. Apr 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Welcome to TW

KM2s are great
    Flowmaster will decrease HP
    Skyjacker isn't the best look into Bilistine 5100s or OME 3 inch lift

Also its interesting what you are going to swap your diff with I always wanted to as well:popcorn:

3. Apr 18, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    While those are a definite step up, there are people who would say don't bother with those either, so it's all relative.

OP, a budget for all this would really help before we can give you any solid advice.

4. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    ick

ick [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Taco 4X4 SR5
    No budget. I've got the dough. Just need the advice on which direction to go as far as parts, manufacturers, etc. I've also heard of ToyTec's coil over suspension lift. Not sure which one, though. I checked out the web site but it's vague or it's not something that I understand.

5. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    ick

ick [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Taco 4X4 SR5
    KTMRider

Why would a flowmaster decrease hp? They claim it will increase by 24. The one I was looking at was the American Thunder 50-series dual. By the way, nice looking Taco.

6. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Thanks Man, I have not dyno tested it myself or anything of that nature, but they are supposedly one of the most restrictive mufflers around

Check out these threads
    this is on exhaust in general
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/19967-how-air-goes-thru-your-engine-basic.html
    and this is on flowmaster
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/77679-flowmaster-muffler-good-power-increase.html

7. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    ick

ick [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Taco 4X4 SR5
    Also, don't Bilstein shocks come with the TRD? Is it the 5100s? I didn't buy the TRD but now it seems as though that would have been a good starting point to modify the truck the way I want. How tough is it to take a standard access cab 4X4 and make it badass? I'm going to get the diff lock and I've decided on Mickey T's 17X9 classic lock wheels (285/70R-17) and BFG KM2 tires. Together they have the look I want and the off-road capability. The only thing is that the wheels are 17X9 and the the tires may bulge too far and be more susceptible to puncture on the sidewall. But it's not a huge concern. As far as the lift, I'm at a total loss. Don't know where to go with that. HELP!

8. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Welcome to Tacoma world. The toytec lift and ome lift are both great lifts. I would go with those in Lou of the skyjacker. I have the flowmaster 50 series and I like it. I didn't notice any power loss. I'm thinking of going with arb locker on my prerunner in the far future. You may want to look into those if you can't find one at a at a local junk yard.

9. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    ick

ick [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Taco 4X4 SR5
  10. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    ick

ick [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Taco 4X4 SR5
    Gracias Senor. Which Toytec or OEM 3" suspension lift would you recommend? Considering that my Taco is going to be driven on the street as well as off-road. Can you give me some links to follow? Thanks again.

11. Apr 21, 2010 at 4:31 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Then you want something like the Remote Reservoir Icon/TC package listed here, and a pair of their rear remote resi shocks: Along with some new Alcan leaf packs: And then wheels and tires. New wheels are not strictly necessary, but the backspacing on the stock wheels will cause tires larger than 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 to rub. Some minor trimming and a chop to the body mount can fix this. Trimming will likely be necessary even with new wheels. Also, don't forget extended brake lines.

If you have this installed for you, expect to pay for that as well, obviously.

Products Discussed in

To Top