1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New guy trying to decide

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Vraptor, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Jun 8, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    Vraptor

Vraptor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NoVa
    Hello I am new here and am in the market for a Tacoma in the next month or two. I am currently trying to decide what I want / need and with all the different configurations its really daunting.

Here is what I have been considering any input would be great.

Double cab definitely!

I am trying to decide if I want the TRD OR or Sport. I will not be doing too much off roading but it would be nice to know that if I wanted too I could NP. The sport is nice but I do not like the rims / tires (but they are easily replaced).

That decision could be decided if I can decide if I want the long bed or short bed. Sport is my only option in LB. I know I use my bed often and the longer one will get used but will I sacrifice much maneuverability???

FYI I would be commuting to work 120+ miles a day round trip.

Color is another question Barcelona Red or Timberland?

One thing I do not understand with Toyota is the crappie audio options they have. No iPod interface, No Bluetooth, No satellite radio. I know this call all be installed after purchase but the prices $400+ for sat good lord, $200+ for iPod and still no interface (are you kidding). I guess that is why you guys go after market.

My head is hurting over all this.

Back ground: I have had many of different trucks though out the years. The lasted being an 2006 Frontier AC (I HATE AC's). The best being a 98 Ranger with 9" lift and 38" thornbirds, plus many many mods. The strongest 89 Bronco full size. I rolled that one in the middle of the road, flipped it back over, checked fluids, and continued on.

Anyways thanks for having me here I hope to learn a lot about Taco's.

2. Jun 8, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    Cannonball

Cannonball Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 diesel / 1979 Jeep CJ-5
    I got a Sport DC LB a couple of months ago and it definitely is a long truck resulting in some Austin Powers like parking episodes. My previous truck was a quad-cab Dakota (about a foot shorter in overall length) and the taco is a bit harder to maneuver.

If I had it to do over again I'm not sure what I would do. I have a camper shell on it and the long bed is nice for hauling bikes and camping, but an OR with the shorter bed sure would be easier to drive around town.....

3. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

:eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:12 AM
    WestonJ

WestonJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Weston
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab TRD Off-Road 4WD
    Added a Tool Box, rear spring TSB, Weathertech floor mats, Emergency lights,
    i can plug my ipod into my 2010, it comes stock. but i have the TRD OR package. the only problem with that is, when you are in AUX mode for the ipod, the volume is significantly lower than it would be when listening to the radio. no big deal though, you just have to turn the volume almost all the way up to listen to your ipod.

5. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I have the long bed, and I will say it's a bit more difficult to move around, but it's not half as bad as I expected. When we were looking to buy, I test drove a SB and a LB and subsequently got the long bed because the difference wasn't big IMO. If you won't be offroading very much, get the Sport w/ the long bed. Good luck with the purchase!

6. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    mgage10

mgage10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma TRD Sport Long Bed 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s with Add-A-Leaf 18x9 XD Addicts on 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 TRD Skid Plate Gray Husky Liners Venture Shield Clear Bra TRD Sport Pedals Seat Belt Alarm Disabled LED Map Lights (Cool White) LED Dome Light (Cool White) LED License Plate Lights (Cool White) White Engine Cover White Toyota FJ Grill Badge Viper 2 Way Alarm System Debadged Tailgate Fog Light Anytime Mod Window Tint Black Mesh Upper Grillcraft Black Mesh Lower Grillcraft Black Mesh Grillcraft Triangles Raven Speed Antenna AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S Intake Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers
    I have seen TRD long bed couble cab in the Off Road Package so the Sport Package isn't your only option. The new trucks come with (the correct package that is) bluetooth, satellite radio, and ipod interface.

I have had both a TRD Off Road and TRD Sport Package. Out of the box, I must say I like the looks of the Sport Package much better. It come with a color match grill, color match painted rear bumper, and hood scoop. The other difference between the packages is the rear locker vs the limited slip differential. I am not too serious into off roading since this is my daily driver but I do use my 4x4 on a regular basis. That being said, I never once had to engage my rear locker or even my limited slip since I have had my new truck.

Since it seems you will be using your truck as a daily driver for the most part, I would suggest the Sport Package. Even if you do get into off roading down the road, it is going to have to be some pretty serious stuff to really need the rear locking differential. Good luck with your purchase. You're going to love these trucks whatever package you decide to get.

7. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Get the short bed and get the bed extender. That's what I did. I got the off road because I wanted the locker (just in case) but I didn't like all the chrome and have been removing it since purchasing the truck. Either way you're making a good investment.
    That's a hell of a long commute :eek: I thought mine was bad at 50 miles round trip
    Oh BTW welcome to TW!

8. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I have a long bed double cab sport and I love it. It took a little while to get used to parking it but it has the back up camera and that helps a lot. The short bed was never an option for me. I need the longer bed. I don't do any offroading in the true sense, mostly just log roads during hunting season so I didn't get the 4x4 but I'm glad I have the limited slip in the sport. I didn't see the point of a locker for my needs.

9. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    Vraptor

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NoVa
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Let me get this straight on the audio. You can hook up the iPod to the aux I get that but will the radio operate the controls or do you have to do it on the iPod itself? The dealer told me I would have to buy the satellite radio at a cost of $400+ and then you can control it through the stock radio. The reason the audio is important is the long commute I have 2 ½+ hours a day in a vehicle is long and boring.

I am really leaning toward the Long bed. The bed extender is nice but I have read some stories here that the tailgate is just not that strong and an ATV will be in my future.

10. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    Vraptor

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NoVa
    How long did it take to get used to the back up camera. On the test drive it did not help me at all?

11. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    Vraptor

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NoVa

How is the dealership out there in Chantilly?

12. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    You could get the SR5. It has the ipod input (although it sucks, you have to control it manually unless you get an adapter for around $110).
    But, the SR5 gets better gas mileage, and on your long commute that will come in handy. Plus it is cheaper out the door.

Oh yeah, and Timberland is the better of those two choices, IMO.

13. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    Vraptor

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NoVa

Where do you get interface from? Does it hook up to the back of the stock radio?

14. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    Vraptor

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NoVa

I thought about the SR5 but the seats in the TRD are just too nice!

15. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    Vraptor

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NoVa

Cool thanks a lot!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
  17. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    moe1967

moe1967 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD DC Off-Road PreRunner
  18. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    Vraptor

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NoVa
    Cool two good options other then the dealer rip off kit.

Thanks!

19. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I actually bought mine at Koons in Tysons. I tried working with the Ourisman guy in Chantilly but the sales guy only wanted to sell me what was on the lot and didn't care about finding what I wanted. I wanted a manual transmission and nobody here cares about stocking manuals apparently. I ended up finding mine at Koons it was just about exactly what I was looking for, so I jumped on it as soon as it rolled off the delivery truck pretty much :)
    I was actually out at Ourisman last friday getting my 10,000 maintenance done and they had tons of tacos in both Sport and Off Road double cabs and access cabs. Although I did notice none were manuals :rolleyes:
    I noticed the NoVa as your location. I was wondering if that meant Northern Virginia or not. Where you located?

20. Jun 8, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    Vraptor

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NoVa
    I am out in Winchester. Kern in Winchester is a joke. I looked yesterday at the place in Warrenton and one in Martinsburg WV. I had really good experiences with both but when I am ready to pull the trigger the place with the best deal on Exactly what I want will win my business. Living in NoVa there are pleanty of dealerships around to check out.

Products Discussed in

To Top